The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Books, Pamphlets & Lecture Notes » » HN Review 68 : Mobile Mentalism - Mark Strivings (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Harvey Nerzof
View Profile
Regular user
193 Posts

Profile of Harvey Nerzof
HN Review 68 : Mobile Mentalism - Mark Strivings

AD:

One of the first books (and the largest) ever written dealing exclusively with the topic of walk-around mentalism. Sixteen effects and routines, all designed for the demanding world of the strolling performer.

Included are several routines by Mark Strivings as well as some of the top performers in the world of mentalism. Effects are included from such luminaries as Docc Hilford, Richard Webster, Terry Nosek, Ed Fowler, John Riggs, Anthony Lindan, Gene Urban and Robert Waller.

Taken together, this is a formidable collection of mentalism. You will use this material! Also included is an audio tape specifically for instruction of an effect called 'Sort-Of Numerology' by Mark Strivings. An impromptu mindreading effect that will knock your audiences out.

In all over 60 pages of hard hitting mentalism!

This is a book you will refer to over and over again. If you do close-up or strolling work of any kind you need this book.

REVIEW:

The highlight IMHO is the accompanying audiotape, entirely devoted to the effect “Sort of Numerology”: it includes 2 honest phone performances and a number of details not included in the booklet. A gimmickless mentalism effect well worth the price of the package.

The manuscript also describes the basic PW technique (sadly expanded in “Miracles from the Hip”) and an interesting “Out to Lunch” presentation from Anthony Lindan. The rest is easy mental magic.

Overall rating: okay

H.
J.Warrens
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada
1098 Posts

Profile of J.Warrens
Greetings!
I own "Mobile Mentalism", and I really enjoyed it. Especially "Sort-of Numerology". It's a great effect for impromptu, and is very flexible when it comes to adaption if you want to cover your bases for outs. Mark also provides a nice solution to this as well. My other favourite routine is "Suite Prediction". Nice, topical, and loads of room for presentation.
Cheers,
J.Warrens
Brandon
View Profile
Regular user
Florida
129 Posts

Profile of Brandon
An excellent book--I highly recommend it, up there with most anything that Richard Webster has released.

Mark's a terrific talent, and has put together a very unique collection of effects suitable for the walk-around mentalist.

I too use Sort-of-Numerology a great deal--and it never fails to deliver a powerful blast of mind-reading.

Brandon
Lee Darrow
View Profile
V.I.P.
Chicago, IL USA
3590 Posts

Profile of Lee Darrow
Does Mark address the problem a mentalist might have using PW when not wearing a coat?

I saw one guy using the method at a trade show recently and one of the women in the audience commented that she thought he was playing with himself!

Obviously, her opinion of him was grossly inflated, but I can see a potential problem.

Out of honest curiosity,

Lee Darrow, C.Ht.
http://www.leedarrow.com
<BR>"Because NICE Matters!"
Harvey Nerzof
View Profile
Regular user
193 Posts

Profile of Harvey Nerzof
Quote:
On 2003-10-14 16:26, mstrhypno wrote:
Does Mark address the problem a mentalist might have using PW when not wearing a coat?

Not in Mobile Mentalism. In "Miracles from the Hip" instead, there is a physical subtlety on the placement of the jacket.

H.
Lee Darrow
View Profile
V.I.P.
Chicago, IL USA
3590 Posts

Profile of Lee Darrow
Harvey, isn't it difficult to place the coat when one is not wearing one?

I did ask about using the technique without a coat, after all.

No flame, just wanted to be sure I was being clear about this in the first place. Sorry if I wasn't!

Lee Darrow, C.Ht.
<BR>"Because NICE Matters!"
Harvey Nerzof
View Profile
Regular user
193 Posts

Profile of Harvey Nerzof
Lee, your question was clear - I gave too many details. The answer is: no, Mr. Strivings doesn't address this specific issue.

Cheers,

H.
Mark Strivings
View Profile
V.I.P.
275 Posts

Profile of Mark Strivings
Quote:
On 2003-10-14 16:26, mstrhypno wrote:

Hi Lee,

While I don't specifically address PW without a coat in either Mobile Mentalism or Miracles from The Hip, there's really nothing to address. Absolutely no difference in technique or approach. Everything is exactly the same. If there's a problem in doing the technique without a coat, it's certainly not the coat's fault, it's the performer's fault. I use PW without a coat all the time (in fact, MOST of the time) and the technique is completely invisible. As far as clothing goes, the only main consideration (apart from the coat/no coat thing) is how tight the trousers are. Obviously there needs to be enough room in the pocket to do the technique to begin with. But that's all needlessly covered in my book on the subject (along with a whole slew of other trivial things).

(cough)

Mark

By the way, Harvey, I think I speak for many of us when I say that I would like to see some of your fine work in print (if I've missed it already please point me in the right direction, I would like to see what you've got to contribute to the work), either with regards to pocket writing or strolling mentalism in general. If you want or need an outlet, Volume II of Mobile Mentalism is in active preparation. If there is something you have that you might like be considered for inclusion (final decision being mine, of course), please feel free to send it along. I'm serious, in case this comes across any other way.

Mark Strivings
Mark Strivings is the owner of the largest all-mentalism mail order supply business in the world, "Mental Connections", carrying materials not available anywhere else. For complete info, drop Mark a line at MarkyApril@aol.com
Harvey Nerzof
View Profile
Regular user
193 Posts

Profile of Harvey Nerzof
Mark, thanks for your interest. Sorry I don't sell anything - I am a mere customer who spent the last 20 years purchasing magical items. However, I occasionally offer my pedant comments (lately, for Luke Jermay's upcoming book) and I would be glad to provide some feedback to the draft version of Mobile Mentalism 2... I have sent you my email.

In any case, looking forward to its publication.

H.
Scott F. Guinn
View Profile
Inner circle
"Great Scott!" aka "Palms of Putty" & "Poof Daddy G"
6575 Posts

Profile of Scott F. Guinn
I too have this book and I think that for the price, you can't beat it. I agree that the numerology effect alone is worth the price to the working performer.

There are not many sources for mentalism for the strolling performer--this package is the biggest and best I've ever come across.
"Love God, laugh more, spend more time with the ones you love, play with children, do good to those in need, and eat more ice cream. There is more to life than magic tricks." - Scott F. Guinn
My Lybrary Page
shomemagic
View Profile
Inner circle
Missouri
2147 Posts

Profile of shomemagic
Mark, what happened to the magazine project. Did I miss it, I sent a postcard expressing interest in subscribing.
I love you SUC and all the other items I have picked up from you.
Is there any possibility of the Desert Brainstorm video's being released in dvd format?
I love your confabulation vacation routine (I think that is the name of it ), is this in print anywhere? I got the very last Scotty York passport wallet he had for this routine.
Magically,
Mike
Magically,

Mike King - Sho-Me Magic

You can e-mail me at: shomemagic@gmail.com
Bill Cushman
View Profile
Inner circle
Florida
2741 Posts

Profile of Bill Cushman
Scott,

Can you talk more about your experience with Sort Of Numerology? I was debating about taking the time to master it and asked for advice at another site. While I thought it read well, everyone who responded was rather tepid. They all told me my time would be better spent learning Sign Language if I wanted a totally propless effect which was my goal.

Thanks in Advance,

Bill
Mark Strivings
View Profile
V.I.P.
275 Posts

Profile of Mark Strivings
Quote:
On 2003-10-23 14:51, shomemagic wrote:
Mark, what happened to the magazine project. Did I miss it, I sent a postcard expressing interest in subscribing.

Is there any possibility of the Desert Brainstorm video's being released in dvd format?

I love your confabulation vacation routine (I think that is the name of it ), is this in print anywhere? I got the very last Scotty York passport wallet he had for this routine.
Magically,
Mike

Hi Mike,

The magazine got put on hold after some rather crippling personal problems earlier this year. It is still in the works but has been seriously delayed. I was originally hoping to have had the first couple of issues out by now. it looks like it will be late spring next year at the earliest before it happens, but I think that it WILL happen. I'll be keeping everyone who expressed an interest posted.

As for the Brainstorm vids coming out on DVD, I know of no plans for that, but then again I wouldn't be surprised. A-1 MagicalMedia will have to make that call.

'Confabulous Vacation' is indeed in print in my book "Constructive Mentalism". It's available from me, just drop me a note off-list at MarkyApril@aol.com and I'll give you all the details.

To Bill Cushman:

There's only one way to know if 'Sort Of Numerology' will work for you and that is to try it and give it a fair shake. I have found that the overwhelming majority of the guys who are the nay-sayers to the effect have never tried it. Why? The reason is simple, you might miss (and wouldn't THAT be a tragedy??) ;-)

If you are a magician, don't do 'Sort of Numerology', it's too risky for you. If you're a mentalist/psychic entertainer, it's probably the best thing of its type that you can do, precisely because it is a bit risky. If you (and I'm not speaking specifically to my friend Bill here...) don't quite understand what I mean by that last statement, you probably shouldn't do mentalism anyway.

An awful lot of guys have told me personally that 'Numerology' was worth many times the price of the book to them. It looks, sounds and plays as 'real', and there's not much more that you could ask for....

Mark
Mark Strivings is the owner of the largest all-mentalism mail order supply business in the world, "Mental Connections", carrying materials not available anywhere else. For complete info, drop Mark a line at MarkyApril@aol.com
Bill Cushman
View Profile
Inner circle
Florida
2741 Posts

Profile of Bill Cushman
Thanks Mark! I've already gotten Sign Language down, now I'l break out SON again and get cracking and find out for myself. Having two propless effects in my arsenal should have its advantages. And I'm glad to hear the magazine is still in the works, I'd forgotten about that.

Bill
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Books, Pamphlets & Lecture Notes » » HN Review 68 : Mobile Mentalism - Mark Strivings (1 Likes)
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2017 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.27 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL