The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » Switching decks (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
Daryl -the other brother
View Profile
Special user
Chicago
594 Posts

Profile of Daryl -the other brother
Micheal Ammar's Toppit DVD deals with deck switches and shows one in a live performance on "Johnny Carson".
euphoria5150
View Profile
Regular user
Russell Jeanneret
110 Posts

Profile of euphoria5150
Ok- I have used the 'toppit' method and do still switch decks by getting some stuff out of my close-up case at my show. I would say the best 'deck switch' that I have came up with was I call a 'direct turnaround switch'. This works great for walk-around, and close-up show situations. I came up with this one while performing Sankey's 'AirTight' trick in a restaurant. The idea was this (believe me this works great with a lay audience)the card is selected by the spectator and then is asked to sign the card with a sharpie. I state, 'I don't want to see the card' so I will turn around. When you turn around, you slip the deck in your pocket and grab the deck you are going to switch. Turn around and it's done! Believe me, this sounds gutsy, but it works. The audience completely, understands the concept of 'not-seeing' the card. I should mention that this deck switch will be the first trick dealing with signed cards in my act. And if later, I have another signed card effect, I will do the same thing and turn around, even if I don't need to switch the decks. I do about 4 to 5 deck switches in my show. This is one that I have saved it for the 'AirTight' trick.
Theater, cinemas, and literature are all better forums for telling stories or creating drama. Stand-up comedy is better for telling jokes. But magic is unique in creating the Twilight Zone sense of turning a corner and finding yourself on another street, in another town, in another country. Deception is the means to that end. –John Bannon
Kevin Ram
View Profile
Special user
Travelling through Europe
791 Posts

Profile of Kevin Ram
As said in an earlier post ,there is a great method in the classic magic of larry jennings.I like that one.

Also, finish off your routine with a deck to pocket(vanish) and bring out the duplicate deck.
This is what I do

kukram
"Your the Italian stallion" As said by my g/friend
bishthemagish
View Profile
Inner circle
6013 Posts

Profile of bishthemagish
I have no idea what the best method for switching decks is. The best method for anyone is the one that works for them.

The best deck swich I have seen is on the Steve Forte tapes. His deck switch is like magic...
Glenn Bishop Cardician

Producer of the DVD Punch Deal Pro

Publisher of Glenn Bishop's Ace Cutting And Block Transfer Triumphs
snilsson
View Profile
Regular user
Stockholm, Sweden
186 Posts

Profile of snilsson
Volume One of Richard Osterlind's Mind Mysteries has a very nice deck switch. It's not mentioned in the explanations but if you watch the performance carefully you'll find it. I still haven't met anyone who spotted the switch the first time they viewed the tape. However, after pointing it out, I've had several people say that it's too obvious. Magicians are a strange breed. Smile
SeanJohn
View Profile
New user
Finland
52 Posts

Profile of SeanJohn
Quote:
On 2004-07-10 12:34, snilsson wrote:
I still haven't met anyone who spotted the switch the first time they viewed the tape. However, after pointing it out, I've had several people say that it's too obvious.

Good thing you pointed this up. I had to watch it again to spot it. Now I just have to think how I can make that "move".
Magicmike1949
View Profile
Special user
643 Posts

Profile of Magicmike1949
Tommy Wonder does one on one of his videos or DVD's and it flies by everyone. Check it out.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » Switching decks (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL