The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Did you hear the latest? » » Magic is almost dead.... (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4
Pop Haydn
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
3691 Posts

Profile of Pop Haydn
Folks, if you need there to be lots of magicians so you can have someone to talk to, well, then if magic dies your life will suck. I get that. But we are not talking about saving the artform, are we? Maybe that artform, like sideshow, doesn't bear up with overexposure. Perhaps magic needs to be rare. Perhaps it doesn't really belong on television. Perhaps what we should be fighting for is the return of live variety theater, so we have a venue to do our stuff, and not worry about the success of Magic.

Much of what sucks about Magic right now would go away if the popularity of magic went down.
Ekuth
View Profile
Inner circle
Floating above my
1538 Posts

Profile of Ekuth
And Pop hits the nail on the head.
"All you need is in Fitzkee."
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27300 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
I remember you. I saved a coke bottle just in case you came around again. Would you do that trick with a coin ... please. You can keep the bottle...
...to all the coins I've dropped here
magic4545
View Profile
Inner circle
Jimmy Fingers
1159 Posts

Profile of magic4545
Quote:
On 2012-08-06 17:55, Pop Haydn wrote:
Folks, if you need there to be lots of magicians so you can have someone to talk to, well, then if magic dies your life will suck. I get that. But we are not talking about saving the artform, are we? Maybe that artform, like sideshow, doesn't bear up with overexposure. Perhaps magic needs to be rare. Perhaps it doesn't really belong on television. Perhaps what we should be fighting for is the return of live variety theater, so we have a venue to do our stuff, and not worry about the success of Magic.

Much of what sucks about Magic right now would go away if the popularity of magic went down.

I like it, right on, Pop! Not everyone needs to be a magician. Not everyone with a trust fund or unlimited funds needs to be a headliner. Great magic can never be done on TV again, after all of the abuse that has been blessed by the capitalist sheep who say, "well, he got the gig..."

Great magic is a higher art, and I rarely see it, because of the prevalence of hacks doing uninspired work. On the stages of conventions, especially. And the attendees who can afford a convention aren't usually the artists.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Did you hear the latest? » » Magic is almost dead.... (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL