The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Mentally Speaking » » Thought Association Card (9 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..6~7~8~9~10~11 [Next]
yachanin
View Profile
Inner circle
Cleveland, OH
2105 Posts

Profile of yachanin
Hi All,

IAIN sent me his version of the UK card he created. It is very authentic looking and he has very generously allowed me to share it with TAC owners. I have just finished sending emails to all those who own TAC. There were a handful of emails (about 9) that came back as "undeliverable." If you did not receive my email, please contact me at yachanin@roadrunner.com

Regards, Steve
IMAGINACIAN
View Profile
Special user
In Your Thots
558 Posts

Profile of IMAGINACIAN
Hi Steve,

Downloaded the images. I like them. Want to thank both you and Iain for sharing this.

But am tempted to use the blank blue back with something useful for the routine. Still thinking though.
There is no better freedom than choice and no better choice than freedom.
IAIN
View Profile
Eternal Order
england
18807 Posts

Profile of IAIN
Just so you know, the university is a real one, and was picked because they genuinely do tests/experiments with words (i think the latest one they did was to do with word frequency in June of this year)...
I've asked to be banned
yachanin
View Profile
Inner circle
Cleveland, OH
2105 Posts

Profile of yachanin
Hi IMAGINACIAN,

I'm always amazed at people's creativity. Let me know what you come up with.

Regards, Steve
Martin Pulman
View Profile
Inner circle
London
3399 Posts

Profile of Martin Pulman
Beautiful work Iain. Thanks to both you and Steve for sharing.
IMAGINACIAN
View Profile
Special user
In Your Thots
558 Posts

Profile of IMAGINACIAN
Quote:
On Oct 22, 2016, IAIN wrote:
Just so you know, the university is a real one, and was picked because they genuinely do tests/experiments with words (i think the latest one they did was to do with word frequency in June of this year)...

Thank you for the info Iain. But I'm aware of Bristol and some of its work.

Btw, do you feel it will help if the test card no. is 37 or maybe 68 instead of 38? Just a thought.
IMAGINACIAN
View Profile
Special user
In Your Thots
558 Posts

Profile of IMAGINACIAN
Quote:
On Oct 22, 2016, yachanin wrote:
Hi IMAGINACIAN,

I'm always amazed at people's creativity. Let me know what you come up with.

Regards, Steve

Hi Steve,

Always enjoyed performing tac. I was wondering if it would be a good idea to print up the colored words (stroop test?) on the blank back. Or a sentence with words where some of the letters are jumbled up but the first and last letter are right and still spec can read it (can't remember what that is called)

This may be helpful for some by play whenever needed. Any suggestions?
IAIN
View Profile
Eternal Order
england
18807 Posts

Profile of IAIN
Quote:
On Oct 24, 2016, IMAGINACIAN wrote:
Btw, do you feel it will help if the test card no. is 37 or maybe 68 instead of 38? Just a thought.

hmmm...in my opinion, not really...as the card is about reading a thought or at least some kind of mental projection of sorts...so the influence side of things for 37 doesn't really fit, in my opinion...

doesn't stop you tinkering with it yourself though obviously Smile

i'm keen to not over-egg the cake as it were...
I've asked to be banned
yachanin
View Profile
Inner circle
Cleveland, OH
2105 Posts

Profile of yachanin
Hi IMAGINACIAN,

Since the Stroop Effect deals with attention, I wouldn't use that. If you can connect the volunteer's ability to read jumbled words with your persona's ability that is demonstrated in the TAC effect, then I might consider printing it on the card. If not, however, I would leave it as is. Overall, I think altering the card with information that differs significantly in content or form from the word list would make the card look less authentic. Does that make sense?

Regards, Steve
IMAGINACIAN
View Profile
Special user
In Your Thots
558 Posts

Profile of IMAGINACIAN
Steve,

Thanks for the suggestions. Guess I'll leave it as it is.
Roki
View Profile
Special user
London
749 Posts

Profile of Roki
I really like the sound of this , but may I ask about the printing ? To put this on cards do you need any special printer , paper or apps? Im about to replace my old printer.
I assume no one has made these up for sale.. UK version.. have they?
IAIN
View Profile
Eternal Order
england
18807 Posts

Profile of IAIN
No, just use vistaprint, you get a load done for less than a tenner...they always have codes and offers...its done to fit their template, but feel free to do it at home...
I've asked to be banned
yachanin
View Profile
Inner circle
Cleveland, OH
2105 Posts

Profile of yachanin
Hi Roki,

I print the cards with my hp ink jet printer on heavy card stock and trim them on a paper cutter. Some laminate the cards as well (I do not). I am speaking about the cards in the Thought Association Card PDF file.

Regards, Steve
Roki
View Profile
Special user
London
749 Posts

Profile of Roki
Oh great . Thanks to both of you , two good options there.
bowers
View Profile
Inner circle
Oakboro N.C.
7024 Posts

Profile of bowers
I received this from Steve a few days ago.
And have read thru most of it.This is a wonderful
effect.A lot of thinking has gone into this project.
And some of the best in the business have added a lot
of their takes on it also.I have also ordered the
Word search detective too.I think this will really
enhance the effect.I really love this a lot.
Thanks Steve for giving such a wonderful effect to us.
Todd
yachanin
View Profile
Inner circle
Cleveland, OH
2105 Posts

Profile of yachanin
Hi Todd,

Thank you for the kind words and I'm so glad that you are enjoying TAC. I have been very fortunate that so many creative individuals have developed new twists with TAC and have allowed me to share them.

Regards, Steve
robwar0100
View Profile
Inner circle
Buy me some newspapers.Purchase for me 1 Gazette and
1747 Posts

Profile of robwar0100
I just got home from a show, and told my wife I will be going to sleep right after I email a friend.

I was excited because I combined Steve Yachanin's Thought Association Card with Max Maven's Kirigami (which is on sale at Penguin).

I basically performed Kirigami without a reveal, and when each of my two helpers had formed two different words, I used the TAC approach to think of two additional words.

I like this, but it has some limitations due to the nature of Kirigami. However, if you have both of them, then I would give it a try.

In my email to Steve, I let him know how I handed the TAC portion of the effect. If he wants to share it with you, then I have no problem with it. But, I am going to leave that up to him.

Bobby
"My definition of chance is my hands on the wheel," Greg Long.
yachanin
View Profile
Inner circle
Cleveland, OH
2105 Posts

Profile of yachanin
Hi All,

"Thank you," Bobby, for allowing me to share your idea of combining Kirigami and TAC. I think it gives a totally different look and feel to both effects... very creative thinking.

I purposely wrote Bobby's handling of the TAC portion cryptically to avoid exposure, but in a way (hopefully) that will be understood by those who own both effects:

For first Kirigami word: second... "fruit?" second... "state?" For second Kirigami word: second... "breakfast food?"... middle... "state?" I hope this makes sense.

I think it's wonderful that people continue to come up with their own twists and modifications of TAC... it always brings a smile to my face Smile

Regards, Steve
John C
View Profile
Eternal Order
I THINK therefore I wrote
12968 Posts

Profile of John C
Quote:
On Mar 18, 2014, jaizon wrote:
Quote:
On Nov 28, 2013, Robvs wrote:
I usually kill with the TAC, but have had a recent batch of comments such as "but you never told me the word I initially chose" types of comments. A difficult comment to overcome during performance- rather discouraging, too.

I just got TAC a couple of weeks ago and have had similar responses regarding people asking about their "original" word. I refer back to the script I have told them about energy levels and that at the beginning in just choosing a word the energy production was not high enough for me to get more of an read than the single letter that I did. I hope that makes sense to you. Just remind them the experiment was not about the initial pick but about the overall effect they were producing.

And I have to tell you that Steve was great when I had a few questions. He responded with excellent answers and in a timely fashion. I do, indeed, have Atlas' The Real Thing and the book to use both effects and I'm really looking forward to that.

Preston

Just tell them in the beginning, " I don't know where this will lead but you may find it interesting. Let's give it a shot."
NeilS
View Profile
Inner circle
3237 Posts

Profile of NeilS
I like that line, 'I don't know where this will lead but you may find it interesting.'

It can be a good opening for the sort of things we do - or try to!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Mentally Speaking » » Thought Association Card (9 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..6~7~8~9~10~11 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL