The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Helping hands » » The best way to become an assistant (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Kathryn Muldoon
View Profile
New user
4 Posts

Profile of Kathryn Muldoon
Hello Everybody,
I am 22 and am looking for the next great adventure in my life, and I've been thinking that I would really love to try being a magician's assistant. I have to admit that I know almost nothing about magic but I would really like to learn.

I've been trying to do a little bit of research online but haven't been having too much luck. I believe that if you don't know something the best way to find out is to ask an expert which is why I came here. Is there some kind of magician's assistants help wanted ads out there somewhere, I could look at?

I have a small amount of performance experience. I did small town community theater on and off for about ten years. I've danced pretty much my entire life trying everything from Ballet to Belly dancing, though my main focus for the last couple of years has been Ballroom which I taught for almost two and a half years. I was also part of an amateur Ballroom performing group for several months.

Any advice or tips anyone could offer would be greatly appreciated, thank you all so very much.
Jason Johnson
View Profile
New user
Houston, Texas
50 Posts

Profile of Jason Johnson
There's always a need for magician's assistants. I'm sure the PMs will start rolling in. As for having no knowledge of magic, every assistant I've ever had has had no prior experience. There are a lot of good posts in this forum by Fefe Fontaine about how to be a good assistant.

I wish you good luck!
Kathryn Muldoon
View Profile
New user
4 Posts

Thank you Jason, I hope you're right.
Jason Johnson
View Profile
New user
Houston, Texas
50 Posts

Profile of Jason Johnson
First, you should post a picture of yourself. Most magicians need you to fit a certain body type because you need to be able to fit into illusions, and having a picture will help your chances of someone PMing you.
Kathryn Muldoon
View Profile
New user
4 Posts

That was one thing I thought I might have going for me, as I've read that being a little on the smaller side is a good thing for assistants. I am 5'3 and 115-120 pounds.
Jason Johnson
View Profile
New user
Houston, Texas
50 Posts

Profile of Jason Johnson
Let me know when someone PMs you. I hope everything works out for you!
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
It would maybe help if you told what part of the country you live in, as most will not fly you in to work a show. If you are looking for full time assistant work, then of course contacting the illusionist in the huge vacation cities would be a start.

There are a couple different types of assistants. In a 2 person act, the assistant carries on and off props at the correct time, and helps to put together the show and takes part in the presentation of some of the magic effects.

Then there is what is called the "box jumper" who mainly is the person vanished or produced from a box of some design. Also some dance ability is a good thing to have as well.
Kathryn Muldoon
View Profile
New user
4 Posts

I currently live near Grand Rapids Michigan. But would be open to the possibility of moving, if I found the right job or jobs, I'm used to working at least two part-time jobs.
DavidThomas
View Profile
Loyal user
240 Posts

Profile of DavidThomas
It would be difficult to have a full time job with an illusionist, unless they have a "full time" theater. Most corporate entertainers may work a few times a month, but not enough for full time assistants. Branson, Las Vegas has several theaters and are looking for mainly dancers who they will train in the "art of magic". I had had several former dancers / assistants in my show move to Vegas and work for magicians in their shows. Having magic experience on your resume is a real plus when auditioning for their shows. Keep in mind also cruise ships. Many of my former assistants / dancers have worked the ships and assisted the magic teams on board. They were paid to be dancers in the production shows and received a small fee for the magic show on "variety night"

Another plus is to have skills in marketing. If you are able to help find shows for an illusionist then having more of a full time job is possible. Or just getting booking fees plus the performance fees.

All in all if you love this and want to do this you have many options available, but relocating it the key in my opinion. Thanks!!
David Thomas
TheWorldofMagic.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Helping hands » » The best way to become an assistant (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL