We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Tom Wright's SERIAL New Mentalism Effect (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..10~11~12
Dogsbody_D
View Profile
New user
UK
48 Posts

Profile of Dogsbody_D
Quote:
On 2012-08-14 02:43, Sean Giles wrote:
I have a subtlety that I believe negates backtracking and strengthens the effect. I'll see if Tom minds me passing it onto those that have purchased.

Best
Sean

I'd be most interested in hearing this too.

When dealing with mentalist effects, it's the subtleties and handling that seems to be the most important part. I'd have liked to have seen a couple more unedited performances on the SERIAL download to really help inspire confidence in different situations. I'd still like to! Smile
AutarchicFlux
View Profile
New user
75 Posts

Profile of AutarchicFlux
I agree with the other commenters in that to feel confident spending money on this effect, I'd need to see a full performance video. Having the video edited in such a way that the procedure the spectators witness is not available for scrutiny makes me worry about how widely applicable the method will be. Some spectators pick up more easily than others on effects which are procedural in nature, or which rely on glimpsing. I'll wait to see some more complete performance videos before picking this one up.
Dogsbody_D
View Profile
New user
UK
48 Posts

Profile of Dogsbody_D
I already have bought this effect, and I'm fine with the trailer as it is. I am saying I'd have liked some more full, unedited performances included in the download. The teaching is really good, I'd just like to see it applied in a couple more situations.

The trouble with a lot of mentalism is that you can't practice it on your own in the mirror until it's perfect, you can only do it "live". You can rehears the patter I suppose...
Dogsbody_D
View Profile
New user
UK
48 Posts

Profile of Dogsbody_D
Quote:
On 2012-08-14 02:43, Sean Giles wrote:
I have a subtlety that I believe negates backtracking and strengthens the effect. I'll see if Tom minds me passing it onto those that have purchased.

Best
Sean

Have you spoken to Tom yet? I'd be very keen to hear any extra subtleties...
Sean Giles
View Profile
Inner circle
Cambridge/ UK
2442 Posts

Profile of Sean Giles
My Superman subtlety will be shared in the near future by Tom himself. Smile

best,
Sean
Dogsbody_D
View Profile
New user
UK
48 Posts

Profile of Dogsbody_D
Bugger.

David Meade did this effect on TV and then explicitly revealed the method.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b01......windles/

He did say that he "lost a lot of money playing this at University" so he's saying it's an old swindling trick.

Any thoughts Tom?
JackMagic
View Profile
Special user
712 Posts

Profile of JackMagic
Worthless now it's been Exposed on TV !!
Dogsbody_D
View Profile
New user
UK
48 Posts

Profile of Dogsbody_D
Sorry, he says he WON a lot of money of course.

This was broadcast on BBC Northern Ireland, and is available online via BBC Iplayer.

This link will only work if you're in the UK, unless you're some kind of magician Smile

http://www.bbc.co.uk/i/b01nw0yd/?t=10m21s
Dogsbody_D
View Profile
New user
UK
48 Posts

Profile of Dogsbody_D
Hmm. I hope Tom Wright or David Penn don't blame *me* for exposing the method by posting that link.

I've seen quite a few David Meade shows on TV and he's done a lot of commercial material that I've been chuffed to already know about. However, this is the first time he's REVEALED something that I thought I had paid good money for.

Oh, magic. You and my wallet argue so much.
Olympic Adam
View Profile
Inner circle
1162 Posts

Profile of Olympic Adam
He says he won and lost money,

I don't see the benefit of exposing something like that at all, not saying it is the strongest thing ever but there is no need to do that I think

while I love that there is a TV show from a fellow NI performer, I just can't stick it - I found it hard to sit through even the short bit about the bank note,
Paul S Wingham
View Profile
Special user
750 Posts

Profile of Paul S Wingham
I think its a moot point the trick being exposed. A) how many people in the uk will have seen this? B) the trick is so simple to reverse engineer, its irrelevent. I know people will say they wont and I'm sure some wont, but I bet tons do. Of course you've created that moment of wonder by then so it doesn't matter.
Dogsbody_D
View Profile
New user
UK
48 Posts

Profile of Dogsbody_D
From THE TWITTERS

David Meade ‏@DavidMeadeLive

"It's a fairly well known bar bet in uni's here. Someone's selling it? That's hilarious!"

"by the end if the year everyone in my course knew it/was doing it as a party piece. It's in public domain here."
dp
View Profile
Loyal user
265 Posts

Profile of dp
Thank you guys for bringing this to our attention.

We would just like to first reiterate that Serial was an independent creation of Tom Wright with extra scripting by David Penn.

Whilst anyone can claim they came up with something independently and have been performing something for a long time, this seems like a stretch to us.

The scripting is almost identical.

The handling is almost identical.

If it is public domain and people have been performing it for years like Mr Mead has apparently said publically on his twitter, it should be easy for him to prove. And when we say prove, I don’t think a few of his mates saying they saw him do it, will really hold up.

Some people are so desperate for material for TV shows they will stoop to any level to fill air time and be a star, and some of them don’t wear masks.

Perhaps someone could post on Mr Mead’s Twitter and ask him if he is prepared to clear this up with a little more than hearsay for a defence.

We will give Mr Mead the chance to respond and then we will have to deal with this privately.

Thanks once again for bringing this to our attention.

David Penn and Tom Wright
The Wizard Product review on YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/worldmagicshop
Search The Wizard Product Review at http://www.worldmagicshop.com
de rome
View Profile
New user
UK/NORWAY
61 Posts

Profile of de rome
I was the person that sent David and Tom a Private video you tube link to the exposure.
as to tell you the truth when I saw David Meade perform it on TV I thought he did a great job with it, and totally had everyone in the audience baffled, THEN he ruined it by exposing the simple secret, The exposure did not add anything to the effect and actually cheapened the whole show, a real shame as It was not needed in this case.
also its not fair on all the magicians out there who have actually laid out good cash to learn it,
lucky its just on Irish TV and not mainstream TV, but still a shame that someone who has managed to get his own TV show, can come down so low and have to resort to exposure for no reason what so ever.
you will never find a better quality HEAT / HOTSPOT as mine anywhere else, ITS REALLY GOOD... here is a link to the effect
http://www.cdrmagic.com/heat.html
boydy
View Profile
Special user
Scotland
825 Posts

Profile of boydy
Sad
"There are no limitations except those we set up in our own minds" Napoleon Hill
Dogsbody_D
View Profile
New user
UK
48 Posts

Profile of Dogsbody_D
It did seem similar in more ways than one... but my suspicions are not evidence.

I was gutted enough that the broadcast performance of the trick tipped the method before he exposed it totally...

It's a weird one, because there's plenty of strong material in his shows.
Dogsbody_D
View Profile
New user
UK
48 Posts

Profile of Dogsbody_D
If a mod wanted to remove the links I posted I woulnd't mind.

The links will expire on 11:04PM Wed, 12 Dec 2012 anyway.

(Can we not edit posts?)
Olympic Adam
View Profile
Inner circle
1162 Posts

Profile of Olympic Adam
It was northern Irish tv

If you show people enough like that they realise that his strange holding hands bit was all fake too- before long they are second guessing everything

I have never heard of it, coming from where the show is filmed - went to the local university, nobody has ever mentioned it or showed me it, nor had I heard of it in this fashion until the serial effect here

My question earlier in the thread about using our local bank notes didn't seem to hold either - a Bank of England £5 was used
Dogsbody_D
View Profile
New user
UK
48 Posts

Profile of Dogsbody_D
Quote:
On 2012-11-23 10:46, dp wrote:
Perhaps someone could post on Mr Mead’s Twitter and ask him if he is prepared to clear this up with a little more than hearsay for a defence.

Hey aren't you supposed to be using Twitter more? :-D ;-)

It's David Meade ‏@DavidMeadeLive
Dogsbody_D
View Profile
New user
UK
48 Posts

Profile of Dogsbody_D
Derren Brown has just promoted David Meade on the Twitters :-S David links to his iplayer show.
Oh wells, I'm sure most people who see it will forget how it's done anyway.

(I miss Simon Day's voiceover btw)
Olympic Adam
View Profile
Inner circle
1162 Posts

Profile of Olympic Adam
Apparently everyone already knows it anyway
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Tom Wright's SERIAL New Mentalism Effect (0 Likes)
<<< Previous Topic Next Topic >>>
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..10~11~12
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001- 2014 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.232344 seconds, requiring 62 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

[1] [0] [3] [7] [6] [9] [6] [9] [6] [6]