The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Practicing State Of Mime (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Atom3339
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
3224 Posts

Profile of Atom3339
Another practice technique I've found VERY helpful while viewing Coin Magic DVDs: Simply mime (pantomime, copy, model) the magician's actions WITHOUT the coins. It helps to NOT concentrate on the sleights and focus more on overall movement, body language, posture and angles. I did this following a Roth effect and noticed there was an additional subtle hand gesture I missed. Even though I had viewed his instruction many times. He didn't verbally mention the gesture---it may have been unconscious---so I didn't catch it; MAIN REASON?: I was overly concentrating on the coins. That slight (sic) gesture made a HUGE difference in looking more natural and magical.

I noticed David Neighbors "going through the motions" without coins, practicing between takes, when we were filming him in Spokane. That prompted me to try this technique.

Try it on some knuckle-busting effects you've been hesitant about. First, without coins. Then, with coins. I think you'll find this approach will make things easier!
TH

Occupy Your Dream
Tanay
View Profile
Regular user
162 Posts

Profile of Tanay
John Guastaferro mentions a similar technique in his book, One Degree, about card magic. Perhaps all branches of magic benefit from this!

Thanks for posting, I had forgotten about this... Smile
Tanay
David Neighbors
View Profile
V.I.P.
4621 Posts

Profile of David Neighbors
Yea but you have to be Careful Where You Do it! Or you will get some realy ODD LOOKS!!! Smile
David Neighbors

The Coinjurer

www.coinjurer.com
Octopus Sun
View Profile
Special user
Wiggle Wiggle
587 Posts

Profile of Octopus Sun
False Art.
Read Our Magic for references.
Dougini
View Profile
Inner circle
The Beautiful State Of Maine
6568 Posts

Profile of Dougini
Ya know, Atom I like this! "Going through the motions" without coins! I tried it. You may have something here... Smile

Doug
David Neighbors
View Profile
V.I.P.
4621 Posts

Yea your right I have been Doing it for over 30 years! Smile
David Neighbors

The Coinjurer

www.coinjurer.com
Atom3339
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
3224 Posts

Profile of Atom3339
^ Mr. Neighbors, Thank you for the nice affirmation! Smile
TH

Occupy Your Dream
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
26797 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
You might want to get the actions, the blocking, and the script in place as distinct from the sleights and any behind-the-scenes mechanical work. This can help you process feedback from your audiences (or even a director) regarding what goes smoothly and how the material flows for the audience - without the distraction of "but I have do to this move" issues.
...to all the coins I've dropped here
David Neighbors
View Profile
V.I.P.
4621 Posts

Your Wecome Atom, Mine is also good When you are doing a coin Vanish. Or after you have Gotton rid of the coin ( Lap- Pocket drop- Shell vavish! ) But they think you steal have it it your hand! Smile
David Neighbors

The Coinjurer

www.coinjurer.com
Alan Munro
View Profile
Inner circle
Kentwood, Michigan, USA
5693 Posts

Profile of Alan Munro
I've been using the techniques for many years to reverse engineer routines. NLP techniques can really help to sharpen the ability.
Dougini
View Profile
Inner circle
6568 Posts

Profile of Dougini
Quote:
On 2012-07-29 01:08, David Neighbors wrote:
...Mime is also good when you are doing a coin vanish. Or after you have Gotton rid of the coin, but they think you still have it it your hand! Smile

That, David, has been my "out" for those know-it-alls who like to tell everyone, "It's in his other hand!" I'll let them get away with that the first time, then I "accidentally" drop the coin on the floor, and in picking it up, I scoot it under my shoe. Then I pass "nothing" from hand to hand, and then do a bad-looking transfer. I open the hand, the coin is gone, and they think they know now. Then I open the other hand... Smile
David Neighbors
View Profile
V.I.P.
4621 Posts

Yea but now You have to get The coin out from under your Foot! ( if you Don't want to stay there all day! Smile) What I have used Is to take a 2 th. coin out of my pocket do a pass and pretend To push it into my head, And said " It goes into my head All the way down my body And trou my foot! " Now You are a coin ahead! Smile And there is a lot of stuff you can do with that! It has Played Well!!! Smile
David Neighbors

The Coinjurer

www.coinjurer.com
Dougini
View Profile
Inner circle
6568 Posts

Profile of Dougini
Good one David! Smile What I do is take another coin out of my pocket, do a vanish, and step back looking down at the floor. I don't have to say a word! Smile
puffinmonkey
View Profile
Elite user
Seattle
437 Posts

Profile of puffinmonkey
Ladies and Gentlemen,

I am honored to be able to session with David Neighbors over the weekend in Colorado. If any of you are in Denver, send him a PM! Really knowledgable magician and a great teacher. I've learned so much in one session. HE WILL CHANGE YOUR PERCEPTION ON COIN MAGIC! Truly a coin master JEDI KNIGHT! This man is a genius!! BTW get a copy of his lecture notes! Thank you David

-Alex L.
David Neighbors
View Profile
V.I.P.
4621 Posts

Thaks Doug,

And Hay Your wecome, and Thank you Alex. I will pay you Latter!!! Smile Just Kidding LOL!!! Smile But realy I was just In what Passes For the Local Magic Shop Last night When who should show up but Alex! But Anyway Most of the Time You I can Tell The Magicions Who come in To the Shop Just by The way Walk, Talk, and How they Watch The Stuff that's being Showed! Smile So I asked If he did magic, And it he was from out of town! And as I LOVE to Session I ask if he was doing anything That night! And he said No. So we Went over to the Mall, And went to The Starbucks there! And went at it!!! Smile But it was Just A short Sesson Only like around 5 hr's or so! Smile So ok hopefuly We Can Make it up to see Todd Wile your In Town! Smile Let me know???
David Neighbors

The Coinjurer

www.coinjurer.com
Atom3339
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
3224 Posts

Profile of Atom3339
DN: "Luke (and now Alex), I am your father."
TH

Occupy Your Dream
puffinmonkey
View Profile
Elite user
Seattle
437 Posts

Profile of puffinmonkey
David let's Plan for tomorrow to meet up with Todd. I'll Try to give you an hour notice before confirming. I'll shoot you a PM. Hopefully work won't hold me up.

Seriously though. I have not been fooled in a long time. His routines, philosophical approach, and innovative ideas are gold. David will get ya!

-Alex L.
David Neighbors
View Profile
V.I.P.
4621 Posts

Thanks man!

I will look forward to it!
David Neighbors

The Coinjurer

www.coinjurer.com
BanzaiMagic
View Profile
Inner circle
1492 Posts

Profile of BanzaiMagic
Seriously jealous.
David Neighbors
View Profile
V.I.P.
4621 Posts

Well I guass You will just have To come out then! Smile
David Neighbors

The Coinjurer

www.coinjurer.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Practicing State Of Mime (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2018 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.15 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL