The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » All tied up! » » Who performed this Milk can escape? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
magicofCurtis
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
2545 Posts

Profile of magicofCurtis
Hi,

Do you know who performed this Milk Can Escape? http://www.telefiction.com/houdini-73.html
Any links to his site. I thought I found his site, but does look like the performer.

Thanks
Curtis
jay leslie
View Profile
V.I.P.
Southern California
9498 Posts

Profile of jay leslie
For sale
One Owens milk can. PM if you have a few thousand ... Well maybe 4... But whose counting?
Scotty Walsh
View Profile
Loyal user
Ireland
207 Posts

Profile of Scotty Walsh
I'm pretty sure this is Montreal performer, Luc Langevin. http://www.luclangevin.com

But it was very interesting to see the full view milk can. Along the same lines of the full view WTC. I think I prefer a little more left to the imagination.
DanHarlan
View Profile
V.I.P.
998 Posts

Profile of DanHarlan
Brilliant. Simply brilliant.

--Dan Harlan, Living Leg End (Not an Escapologist)
Visit My Site @

www.themystictower.com
magicofCurtis
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
2545 Posts

Profile of magicofCurtis
Thanks guys... Jay, I prefer this particular style...
Cliffg37
View Profile
Inner circle
Long Beach, CA
2491 Posts

Profile of Cliffg37
Curtis I can see you doing either kind successfully. I liked this guys performance, though I found watching his audince just as entertaining as watching him.
Magic is like Science,
Both are fun if you do it right!
dave_matkin
View Profile
Inner circle
4522 Posts

Profile of dave_matkin
Is it a flash movie? I can't see it .... (on iPad) or is it a USA thing.
Steve_Mollett
View Profile
Inner circle
Eh, so I've made
3006 Posts

Profile of Steve_Mollett
Full view is definitely now the name of the game, and I'm sure we'll all be working on new ideas along those lines.
We're living in a bold, new time for escapology.
Author of: GARROTE ESCAPES
The absurd is the essential concept and the first truth.
- Albert Camus
magicofCurtis
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
2545 Posts

Profile of magicofCurtis
I thought so too Cliff....
jay leslie
View Profile
V.I.P.
Southern California
9498 Posts

Profile of jay leslie
Then again

There is nothing better then the light and sound guy whispering to another assistant "Isn't he usually out by now? What do I do?" and the assistant says "Play the music again while I go to the van for a hammer or an axe" The fact the audience does NOT know what's happening makes their imagination run wild.

I used to have the assistants quietly whisper to each other, several things (But just loud enough for a few people in the audience to hear) and the word was passed. Usually when the curtain broke the audience was in a full sweat and I was mostly dry. Once there was a cardiologist half-way onstage, ready to jump in. (That was a good one). Once the timekeeper lost track of the time and an assistant handed him his own watch and the poor guy was so flustered he started counting backward from 1000. All kinds of confusion broke out and I had to hurry up because several people from the audience were about to rush the stage. I've been told that the escape was too dangerous and would not ne invited back the following year. Yes there are defiantly times to do things in the open but there are also times to allow people to jump to conclusions, on their own.

The milk can is it's own animal because it can be examined before and after and that's the key. everyone passes by it as they exit and a few tug on the locks. Then I encourage them and finally their assumption was there was a hole in the bottom. So I offer to give them a hundred dollars if they can lift the can, which they can't because it still has 300 pounds of water in it.

To me, most full view water escapes revolve around the intrigue of how a person can hold their breath so long but the audience still see the unlocking process on the exterior locks. The milk can's beauty is that it's a completely sealed container where the performer can not touch the locks - so it's more of a mystery,
Kondini
View Profile
Inner circle
3609 Posts

Profile of Kondini
Unless used as an historic presentation would a churn escape be viewed as legit by species? Such churns are no longer used in the UK so who would identify with this? Ken.
Steve_Mollett
View Profile
Inner circle
Eh, so I've made
3006 Posts

Profile of Steve_Mollett
Quote:
On 2012-08-24 05:55, Kondini wrote:
Unless used as an historic presentation would a churn escape be viewed as legit by species? Such churns are no longer used in the UK so who would identify with this? Ken.

Spot on. The average spec today would ask, "Milk can--what's a milk can?"
- Albert Camus
John Cox
View Profile
Elite user
Studio City, CA
494 Posts

Profile of John Cox
Wow, this is fantastic. Thanks for sharing this link, Curtis.
Please visit my blog

WILD ABOUT HARRY
jay leslie
View Profile
V.I.P.
Southern California
9498 Posts

Profile of jay leslie
Quote:
On 2012-08-24 19:10, Steve_Mollett wrote:
Quote:
On 2012-08-24 05:55, Kondini wrote:

Spot on. The average spec today would ask, "Milk can--what's a milk can?"

Milk Can, Wine barrel, 55 gallon drum Boiler - It's not the shape or the name but the presentation where as, all the examined locks are on the exterior. When Arthur Coghlan performed his unique Drum Escape at the 07 EA convention he had a lot of people talking about the "mystery". It was an intense puzzle, even to the lay audience. When another performer escaped a pair of challenge cuffs (in full view) the audience thought he slipped them. There is a place for full view and there is a place for challenge (Puzzle) escapes- and sometimes both can be performed as one.

in the magic world "Through a one inch hole" can be a great illusion if presented correctly. Without the fine-points being accentuated it can also be a disaster. I watched Mark Cannon do his Strongbox escape live (at the Castle) and although he could have removed his hands a lot earlier he allowed the audience to wonder about what could be taking place - to the point that they were so distracted form whet the modus operandi could have been that they gave him credit for some kind of unnatural act, such as dislocating his thumbs - (so said the man sitting next to me).

On the other hand. I do a three cuff escape on the open - each cuff is tried on by a different spectator who became contestants for the first one to escape. Needless to say none of them escape even with the key in their hand. So when the cuffs came off my wrists, in full view, the applause built on every wrist turn.
Ian McColl
View Profile
Inner circle
1493 Posts

Profile of Ian McColl
It a fallacy that a covered escapes won’t work in this day and age. It’s also a fallacy that people won’t watch ‘nothing’ for a few minutes.
It’s all in the sell and the performance. I have seen very poorly handled and set up escapes, both amateur and professional that make me cringe and call “Why on earth?”
I have seen others’, some which I helped design and I ask, “We he get out??.”
The worst full view escape I have every seen was done by a magician, a roller coaster and some TV editing. Because we saw it all, an intelligent person could see something was wrong and it all didn’t make sense.
jay leslie
View Profile
V.I.P.
Southern California
9498 Posts

Profile of jay leslie
What would a Chop Cup routine be like without the cup? In one respect the cup is a barrier making the balls untouchable. If a similar performance using balls only (like 4 balls and net) the performer is seen as a slick sleight of hand artist where the audience does not know -exactly- what they did but the fact they had full access to the balls meant the hand is faster then the eye.

I'm just saying that theatrically speaking there are pros and cons for every type performance.

OK I'm done... I just wanted to illustrate that (as Ian said) it's up to the performer to make the presentation work.
Kondini
View Profile
Inner circle
3609 Posts

Profile of Kondini
I will be doing my chop cup escape tonight lol.
Scotty Walsh
View Profile
Loyal user
Ireland
207 Posts

Profile of Scotty Walsh
Those are my feelings, too, Jay. It's the same reason why I like the Wakeling sawing over the thin model. A lot can take place in the imagination. It's the Hitchcock spirit. I like it when dematerialization is not strictly ruled out as a possibility.
Steve_Mollett
View Profile
Inner circle
Eh, so I've made
3006 Posts

Profile of Steve_Mollett
Mystery still has its place in the art, but more and more audiences 'want to see what's happening,' and evidence indicates more and more performers want to play to that trend.
Times change and people with them.
- Albert Camus
Kondini
View Profile
Inner circle
3609 Posts

Profile of Kondini
Found that if the speckles see you struggle, see that you are working hard for your cash. They respond accordingly. That's my experience and I have tried it many ways used the can as per usual, also in reverse (stood on the lid with cover and appear inside the water filled can). Also used it in an arena under bubble wrap (this looked most odd). In the end sold it to the Twins who did very well with it on the ships. Times and peeps plus the demands of the biz change with time so it didn't get me off the way I wanted it too so it had to go. Ken
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » All tied up! » » Who performed this Milk can escape? (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL