The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Did you hear the latest? » » Criss Angel Calls Out Dynamo as Copycat (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3~4 [Next]
magicnewswire
View Profile
Inner circle
1947 Posts

Profile of magicnewswire
Criss Angel started a campaign with is followers last night to "Expose" Dynamo as a Criss Angel Copycat: Details Here: http://bit.ly/DYNACA
Dodd Vickers

Host/Producer/Editor

The Magic Newswire

Twitter

iTunes Link
TonyB2009
View Profile
Inner circle
5006 Posts

Profile of TonyB2009
I don't know Criss beyond a fairly ordinary television series. This makes him look small and petty.
Danny Kazam
View Profile
Inner circle
1516 Posts

Profile of Danny Kazam
All time low for Criss Angel. And people wonder why he gets no respect from the magic community. In the process of trying to expose Dynamo, he infringes on copyright laws.
Keep your dreams alive. Understand to achieve anything requires faith and belief in yourself, vision, hard work, determination, and dedication. Remember all things are possible for those who believe.
Tony Iacoviello
View Profile
Eternal Order
13151 Posts

Profile of Tony Iacoviello
Mr. Pot,meet Mr. Kettle.

The original stage show was a Rudy Coby rip off, then he ripped off David Blaine, now he complains someone is ripping him off?

Not that it is right, Intellectual theft is the domain of the uncreative hacks.

Karma is a fickle thing.
NFW
View Profile
Inner circle
UK
1002 Posts

Profile of NFW
Now that belongs in irony corner !
MagicBus
View Profile
Inner circle
Kalamazoo, Michigan
2869 Posts

Profile of MagicBus
All original items in the Criss Angel magic kits correct? Wait a minute... is there even one original item in any Criss Angel magic kit? Seems like my "Mr. Tricko" magic set from about 1963 was copied! What's up with that?
randirain
View Profile
Inner circle
Fort Worth, TX
1650 Posts

Profile of randirain
One word... Cyril.
Dougini
View Profile
Inner circle
The Beautiful State Of Maine
7130 Posts

Profile of Dougini
Criss has lost my respect! Too much "calling out" going on needlessly today. At one time I could see Dynamo and Angel working together on something...alas, not now!

Doug
magicnewswire
View Profile
Inner circle
1947 Posts

Profile of magicnewswire
And now, the video of Criss challenging Dynamo has been pulled "Because of a copyright claim from a ;third party' " Hmmm
Dodd Vickers

Host/Producer/Editor

The Magic Newswire

Twitter

iTunes Link
Dougini
View Profile
Inner circle
7130 Posts

Profile of Dougini
Quote:
On 2012-08-29 22:10, magicnewswire wrote:
And now, the video of Criss challenging Dynamo has been pulled "Because of a copyright claim from a ;third party' " Hmmm

:rolleyes: YouTube does that a lot. Useless.
magicnewswire
View Profile
Inner circle
1947 Posts

Profile of magicnewswire
I know that YouTube pulls vids with Take down notices. I was inferring more by wondering who the Take Down was issued by. After all, it wasn't posted by Criss.
Dodd Vickers

Host/Producer/Editor

The Magic Newswire

Twitter

iTunes Link
Tony Iacoviello
View Profile
Eternal Order
13151 Posts

Who was that rude and crude individual at the end with the va@!#@mo comment?
It is one thing to be upset and want an explanation, that video was something else.
What happened to professionalism?
pepka
View Profile
Inner circle
Uh, I'm the one on the right.
5041 Posts

Profile of pepka
I'd like to say that Criss has lost my respect; but you can't lose what you never had.
Magicbarry
View Profile
Loyal user
Toronto
276 Posts

Profile of Magicbarry
What's he accusing him of? Wearing a dated wardrobe and hairstyle to cover up for his complete lack of personality? I'm not sure I'd want to rant about that being "my thing," if I were Criss.
Tony Iacoviello
View Profile
Eternal Order
13151 Posts

Quote:
On 2012-08-30 10:14, Magicbarry wrote:
What's he accusing him of? Wearing a dated wardrobe and hairstyle to cover up for his complete lack of personality? I'm not sure I'd want to rant about that being "my thing," if I were Criss.

True enough, CA wasn't threatened when he stole his look either
http://ultimateclassicrock.com/tommy-lee......-alikes/
Romanos
View Profile
New user
31 Posts

Profile of Romanos
Hello guys! has the video been removed from youtube? can t watch it... Smile
The Drake
View Profile
Inner circle
2274 Posts

Profile of The Drake
Well its official. Hell has frozen over. I am actually defending Criss Angel now. I'm with him on this one. The video makes it pretty clear that signature bits are being copied. There should be more of this in our art. Copycats are way too common and we all turn the other way for the most part for whatever reason.

As someone who's material has been ripped off and seen others material ripped off I think more magicians should be willing to call out a copycat similar to the Talent Judge that called out the Piff the Magic Dragon Rip Off performer.

I hope this tread can stay on topic of copycats and not revert into a bash Criss thread. I am curious to see how other performers would choose to handle this if they were copied. I know of successful performer who had a local kid copy all his main press photos ( poses and lighting ) to a tee and even started to wear the same stage outfit. The kid almost got outed in a very public, funny but humiliating way but the performer chose to simply call him and tell him to STOP IT instead. The kid has grown up now and developed more of his own style now.
Magicbarry
View Profile
Loyal user
Toronto
276 Posts

Profile of Magicbarry
Well, I agree that copycats are all over the place. The overwhelming majority of amateurs, and even many working professionals, borrow heavily from the work of others, often times performing routines by rote. How many times have you seen a busker doing the Gazzo cups and balls ... and using the same jokes? It's ridiculous. I very quickly lose respect for a performer when I see them using others' material.

Dynamo, from what I've seen, borrows from multiple magicians, though he does some things that are more original and uses his own presentation style. Granted, I haven't seen a LOT of Dynamo, because, frankly, I dislike the current Blaine-inspired approach to TV magic, so I have little interest in a guy like Dynamo. Though it should be said that, if what I've seen of Dynamo is an indication, he borrows at least as much from Blaine as he does from Angel.

The point of many of the responses to Angel -- including my own -- is that Angel should not be throwing stones. He's a poser, and does a lot of borrowing himself. He's hardly the guy to be the Voice of the Copied.

And the thing is ... he shouldn't need to rant about it. If Dynamo is truly copying his material, Angel has a high enough profile (or had, anyway) that people who watch Dynamo will be able to call him on it.

And if Dynamo is merely a copycat, it's a problem with its own solution. You can only go so long as a copycat; you either have to start being original, or your career will quickly fizzle as it becomes painfully apparent that you're nothing but a rerun.
Dougini
View Profile
Inner circle
7130 Posts

Profile of Dougini
Quote:
On 2012-08-30 02:06, pepka wrote:
I'd like to say that Criss has lost my respect; but you can't lose what you never had.

I understand. However, at one time, I did hold him in higher honor than I do now. When I got "Sinful", I thought it was brilliant! His levitation (ala Fearson) was brilliant, too! I worked on that for years to figure a better way and Ron Jaxon & Criss Angel both came up with solutions!

Today? Yeah, he falls flat. Someone copies HIS stuff? That is NOT very creative. I can think of a lot of better magicians to copy...not that I'd do that, of course. Think about it. His stuff is just copies of other's! And what do the originators of said effects think about it?

I dunno, as I get older, I get more and more cynical...

Doug
Danny Kazam
View Profile
Inner circle
1516 Posts

Profile of Danny Kazam
Sinful is from the creative mind of Wayne Houchin.
Keep your dreams alive. Understand to achieve anything requires faith and belief in yourself, vision, hard work, determination, and dedication. Remember all things are possible for those who believe.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Did you hear the latest? » » Criss Angel Calls Out Dynamo as Copycat (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3~4 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL