The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricks & Effects » » Jim Pace's The Web (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3~4 [Next]
porcupine
View Profile
Regular user
Toronto
196 Posts

Profile of porcupine
This certainly has been a frustrating day....

Anyways... yeah, I bought Jim Pace's the Web from my local magic shop today. And after looking over the VERY brief and **** details, I have one question, and its gonna annoy me forever until I find the answer.

Does anyone know what the adhesive used in the trick is? The idea of using a trick which will eventually run out and having no idea where to get refills is really annoying. So if anyone knows what the adhesive is, or any adhesive that works as well as that, or where to get refills, please put your gracious ideas into text and press that wonderful post button on the bottom of the page.

Cheers,
///AMG
"Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow. The important thing is not to stop questioning.” - Albert Einstein
chappelly
View Profile
Special user
Down Under
722 Posts

Profile of chappelly
Hi Porcupine,
Just use double sided tape that you get from a newsagent.One roll will last for ages.I laminated the cards and I've had the same spider ever since the trick came out[many years ago]It,s a great trick,porcupine!

Chappelly
ixnay66
View Profile
Inner circle
Denver
1450 Posts

Profile of ixnay66
Use Blu-Tac
MagicCarisio
View Profile
Inner circle
1061 Posts

Profile of MagicCarisio
Fantastic effect! Everytime I perform the effect on a female, I get screams!!!!
I use "Scotch" Clear Mounting Squares And cut it to shape. It's real tacky! "Wal-mart" carries it by the way.
Cheers,
Gerry
Thoughts have wings

Smile
Cody S. Fisher
View Profile
V.I.P.
Austin, Texas
1149 Posts

Profile of Cody S. Fisher
I posted this in another forum...however I feel some here may be interested. I just published a cute little poem that goes with this effect quite nicely...and it works very well for the Halloween season. You can find it in the October issue of MUM.

I hope this helps,
Cody S. Fisher
To Sign Up For My Members Only FREE Monthly Videos Visit: www.CodyFisher.com/store

Cody's Comedy Confabulation / Silk-2-Egg / Killer Prediction / Tossed Out Deck / Comedy Book Test / Las Vegas Aces / Three Ropes & 1000 Laughs
porcupine
View Profile
Regular user
Toronto
196 Posts

Profile of porcupine
Thanx ppl, now I sigh my sigh of relief... the above has been gold to my mind....

btw, wut's blu-tac?

Cheers,
///AMG
"Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow. The important thing is not to stop questioning.” - Albert Einstein
Mistro
View Profile
Special user
Canada
578 Posts

Profile of Mistro
Awsome trick if you want to really freak your spectator out!!!
Webhead93
View Profile
New user
Florida
74 Posts

Profile of Webhead93
Craft Glue Dots is the same type of adhesive. I got them at Hobby Lobby but you could probably find them at any hobby/craft store.
A. Mark Wilson
ixnay66
View Profile
Inner circle
Denver
1450 Posts

Profile of ixnay66
Blu-tac is like play-do except it's sticky but never dries out.
Magicmike1949
View Profile
Special user
646 Posts

Profile of Magicmike1949
My advice is be careful with this trick. If you should happen to do it for someone who suffers from arachnaphobia, you are in for a nightmare. It almost sent this person to the hospital. Not funny and will kill your show, I assure you. Haven't done the trick since this incident.
kihei kid
View Profile
Inner circle
Dog House
1032 Posts

Profile of kihei kid
That is exactly why I have never bought this trick and most likely never will. Although it might be fun to perform on friends and people close to you that understand you, in magic, I always like to keep the laugh on me.
In loving memory of Hughie Thomasson 1952-2007.

You brought something beautiful to this world, you touched my heart, my soul and my life. You will be greatly missed.

Until we meet again “my old friend”.
Jim Pace
View Profile
V.I.P.
Portland Oregon
557 Posts

Profile of Jim Pace
Guess what,if you start the trick off with a fairly good size, the only thing that you will have to do is take a lighter and torch the goo ball, just enough to make it sticky again.
I am presently still using the same one after 3 months. L&L Publishing will sell you more.
Jim pace
PS
The Web will out impact any other trick that you are presently doing.
I agree with the comments regarding performances, any one who has performed this effect knows that they had better be careful and not just perform it anywhere and everywhere.
Read the artical in this months issue of Linking Ring, for a fresh idea on this subject.
"The drum that beats the loudest is always the most hollow."
Dougini
View Profile
Inner circle
The Beautiful State Of Maine
6393 Posts

Profile of Dougini
I glued a fuzzy, black pom-pom to the spider.

I almost got punched by a woman's husband. She had a terrible fear of spiders, and the situation turned ugly real quick!

Lesson learned.

Doug
hackmonkey
View Profile
Inner circle
England
1088 Posts

Profile of hackmonkey
I had an idea for this trick that lets the spectator know there is a spider involved beforehand, but still keeps the impact of the original ending. It is slightly bizarre and would take some time to make but elevates it from a card trick. It is somewhere in the Bizarre section of this site, I think under the heading 'amber'.
Look behind you...on your left...thats the real world.

http://www.thejoepiper.com
Jeff J.
View Profile
Special user
Connecticut
787 Posts

Profile of Jeff J.
Jim, the spider I got with mine hod most of the legs off. Any ideas where to get one?

Jeff
D J Hawkins
View Profile
Veteran user
Reading, UK
306 Posts

Profile of D J Hawkins
I had a very interesting experience some time ago. Performing close up at a high class banquet I approached one table with my usual friendly smile. One of the females at the table looked at me with a horrified look on her face and said "Oh no not a ******* magician !" and literally ran out of the room. One of her companions exlained that this lady had a terrible fear of spiders, and a magician had performed The Web for her. Apparently this induced a severe panic attack, the woman was taken quite ill and her phobia had been made MUCH worse. Although you might feel that this gets a great reaction I would STRONGLY suggest that you exercise great caution on where you use it.
David Hawkins

djhawkins@btinternet.com
Steve Hook
View Profile
Inner circle
Raleigh, NC, USA
1257 Posts

Profile of Steve Hook
Sorry, Jim, but IMHO it is simply a bad, bad, bad idea to perform this trick. It is not good magic. Please don't pretend that it is.

It does have shock value but, as has been described here twice already, shock value is not necessarily a good thing.

"Impact"? Hitting someone's finger with a hammer has impact, too, but that doesn't make it a good idea. Or good magic. Smile
Like Bonnie Raitt said, "I miss Little Feat more than I miss being 8 years old." Long live Lowell and Richie!
Jim Pace
View Profile
V.I.P.
Portland Oregon
557 Posts

Profile of Jim Pace
Steve,
Ease up man! I appreciate your opinion. I am curious though...The Web is probably one of the best sellers of magic in recent times. Just ask L&L Publishing. It was performed on national TV by Lance Burton, and others. Some of magics finest have Emailed me their personal routines. In 10 years it has built quite a reputation as possibly the scariest card trick on the planet.
Steve, if The Web does not fall into the magic catagory, why do you think that it is selling so well?

Those of you who are reading this I am in no way upset with Steve he sounds intelligent and humble, I have just had this conversation many times in many years, and not one person has convinced me to leave The Web at home. Michael Ammar once said to me that he could not see the magic in my effect, but he orderd one to take with him on his lecture tour in Germany. Two days later he left a message on my phone and said"...I think that I am begining to understand your effect...could you send me 50 pieces?"

Steve, keep playing TO their hearts, and I'll keep playing WITH them.

Much Resepct,
Jim Pace
"The drum that beats the loudest is always the most hollow."
Scott F. Guinn
View Profile
Inner circle
"Great Scott!" aka "Palms of Putty" & "Poof Daddy G"
6575 Posts

Profile of Scott F. Guinn
I know Jim. He's a good man, a smart guy, and one of the best magicians I've ever seen. He knows good magic. He does beautiful work with cards, coins and more. The Web is just one of many routines he has created, and I have seen him blow people away with it. They were amazed at the way the cards changed and surprised at the appearance of the spider--to them it CLEARLY WAS good magic!

As he said, it is not for everybody, and it is not an "all the time" trick. I'm sure he doesn't do it table-hopping at restaurants. If you do not know how to read people well, don't do it. Obviously, you shouldn't perform it for 80-year-olds or people that you know fear spiders.

I own The Web and I have for years, since Jim first put it on the market. I use it sparingly, but when the time is right, it is, in point of fact, exceptionally strong magic. I have never sent anyone to the hospital, and I have never been accused of having bad taste or an "abuse" act or "insult" act.

Just because something isn't for you or isn't appropriate for every person or performing venue does not mean it is bad magic or that its creator should in any way be demeaned. I'll say it again, Jim Pace is one of the best magicians I've ever seen, and I will personally vouch for his character and integrity. If you don't like the Web, don't do it, but just because it doesn't suit you in no way makes it "bad magic."
"Love God, laugh more, spend more time with the ones you love, play with children, do good to those in need, and eat more ice cream. There is more to life than magic tricks." - Scott F. Guinn
My Lybrary Page
kihei kid
View Profile
Inner circle
Dog House
1032 Posts

Profile of kihei kid
Scott, well said, the first time I saw the web I loved it. And the wheel(s) in my head started turning as to how I could use what is obviously a cool effect into something a little more audience friendly.

I wanted to put the laugh on me but everything I came up with seemed to hokey so I moved on to other things. I would be very intrested as to any ideas you have, and I will also be sure to check out that article in the linking ring.
In loving memory of Hughie Thomasson 1952-2007.

You brought something beautiful to this world, you touched my heart, my soul and my life. You will be greatly missed.

Until we meet again “my old friend”.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricks & Effects » » Jim Pace's The Web (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3~4 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2017 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.16 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL