The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricks & Effects » » Jim Pace's The Web (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
Scott F. Guinn
View Profile
Inner circle
"Great Scott!" aka "Palms of Putty" & "Poof Daddy G"
6586 Posts

Profile of Scott F. Guinn
The name of that trick is "Butterfly Love." I believe it was (and Jim will correct me if I'm wrong) done with Jim's permission. I personally don't care for it, but that is merely personal preference. It would perfect for those who want to do the trick but are worried about the "fear factor" of the spectator.
"Love God, laugh more, spend more time with the ones you love, play with children, do good to those in need, and eat more ice cream. There is more to life than magic tricks." - Scott F. Guinn
My Lybrary Page
Dougini
View Profile
Inner circle
The Beautiful State Of Maine
7130 Posts

Profile of Dougini
Wow...

My girlfriend actually wants to know more about "Butterfly Love" (she made me promise never to pull "The Web" on anyone she knows!)! Can you believe it? Ow! Just got whacked for that! Smile

She went, "Awww?" when she saw this post above by Scott.

OK, how do I get one?

Doug
Scott F. Guinn
View Profile
Inner circle
"Great Scott!" aka "Palms of Putty" & "Poof Daddy G"
6586 Posts

Profile of Scott F. Guinn
Most major dealers should be able to get it for you. It is well made, just not my cup of tea.
"Love God, laugh more, spend more time with the ones you love, play with children, do good to those in need, and eat more ice cream. There is more to life than magic tricks." - Scott F. Guinn
My Lybrary Page
marko
View Profile
Inner circle
2109 Posts

Profile of marko
I think it might actually be called "Caterpillar Love."
Thought: Why does man kill? He kills for food. And not only food: frequently there must be a beverage.
Jon Allen
View Profile
V.I.P.
England
1771 Posts

Profile of Jon Allen
I agree with Cabrera that people like to be scared. However, they choose to go to a cinema or get on a roller coaster. If people knew they were going to be scared then this would alleviate the situation a little. I do my presentation of The Web very rarely now but when I did it more often, I would ask the people if they wanted to see the scariest trick in the world. Oh boy! Did they ever!

One of the reasons I came up with Phobia was to have the chance to ask people if they had any phobias. When I applied it to the spider, if anyone said arachnophobia, I could change the ending.

With effects like this, the most important thing is how you handle the situation. If you look contented at the screaming women (or men) then they will not like you) if you can bring them down, make sure they are okay, then the way they view the situation will change. They know you were not looking to be malicious.

It's still a trick only for the right audience.
Creator of iconic magic that you will want to perform.
The Silent Treatment, The Pain Game, Paragon 3D, Double Back, Destination Box and more.
Available at www.onlinemagicshop.co.uk
Harvey Nerzof
View Profile
Regular user
193 Posts

Profile of Harvey Nerzof
HN Review 72: The Web – Jim Pace

AD:

Jim Pace's "The Web" will out-impact any other effect in your repertoire. For those that want to go for the jugular and take no prisoners, the Web gets a more visceral reaction than any card effect ever created! In fact, there are some people you simply should not do this effect for because it starts out so innocently, yet ends with such a startling reaction! The effect, this makes 'em jump up and scream! Four blank cards are counted onto the spectator's palm up hand. Then pictures of spider webs appear and disappear from the faces of the cards. To conclude, the spectator is asked to wave his hands over the cards. As he does, he discovers a large, realistic spider on the back of his hand. The spider is undetectable, and you are way ahead! At the right time, in the right place, this receives an unprecedented response!

REVIEW:

Largely overrated. Comes with specially printed cards, the spider and the “gimmick”. It is a cheap way to get a quick reaction, to expose the Card on Ceiling and to suggest that you are carrying around props and hidden gimmicks.

Overall rating: prank

H.
Jim Pace
View Profile
V.I.P.
Portland Oregon
556 Posts

Profile of Jim Pace
Harvey,
You are right it is a prank. That is how it started. As far as the spider, it can be suped up by burning the fuzz with a lighter after it is on the spider...it becomes very realistic.
I have a friend ( DAVID STONE )who took the handling of the basic effect (all backs count, flustration) and turned it into a magic experience. Presentation, presentation! Lance Burton is the only one that I know of that is famous that chose to use the patter and handling that came with the trick. It is a bear bones handling that any body can do.
I am not sure that I get your second point of exposing the card on the ceiling though, can you expand on this?

Thanks for the REVIEW,
Jim
"The drum that beats the loudest is always the most hollow."
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24314 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
Quote:
On 2003-10-31 02:09, Magicmike1949 wrote:
My advice is be careful with this trick. If you should happen to do it for someone who suffers from arachnaphobia, you are in for a nightmare. It almost sent this person to the hospital. Not funny and will kill your show, I assure you. Haven't done the trick since this incident.

The strength of the reaction depends entirely upon the individual arachnophobe. I have been chased with baseball bats and have caused otherwise nice ladies to scream vulgarities at the tops of their lungs (much to the amusement of their children),

However, I have never caused anyone to go to the hospital.

It's a great trick. Just use common sense performing it.

BTW. Toupee tape makes a great replacement.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
Chris Larson
View Profile
New user
Sacramento Ca
20 Posts

Profile of Chris Larson
I have had great response with a twist on this trick. I use a heart rather than a spider, do this for a couple on a date with the patter "can one steal the other's heart" the heart on the card vanishes and turns blank along with the other three blank cards and he/she turns over her hand and the heart is stuck there. I have had women actually tear up a little over this. Try it out
Harvey Nerzof
View Profile
Regular user
193 Posts

Profile of Harvey Nerzof
Quote:
On 2003-12-11 11:52, Jim Pace wrote:
I am not sure that I get your second point of exposing the card on the ceiling though, can you expand on this?
Thanks for the REVIEW,
Jim

Dear Jim:
Both tricks use the same type of gimmick; the Web openly offers part of the solution to the Card on Ceiling effect.

Porcupine/chappely:
I think this topic should be discussed in the Secret Sessions forum (with the author's consent of course). Thanks,

H.
Johnnymysto
View Profile
Regular user
South Carolina
116 Posts

Profile of Johnnymysto
Geez Louise! Why are there so many people down on this trick? I never heard of it till I bought Caterpillar Love, and the dealer told me of The Web. (Actually, he said he stopped selling it after freaking out a woman in the store.) But the point is, it's a great effect. As to "what is the magic", the magic is you made a spider appear on the back of someone's hand! I agree that this trick isn't for everyone, but what trick IS for everyone? Haven't you seen someone YAAAAWWN at pulling a coin from their ear, or roll their eyes at Siegfriend & Roy on TV? If you did this trick for a group of college guys, you would be the MAN in their eyes! So, as with ALL tricks, use this one when the time is right.
Jim Pace
View Profile
V.I.P.
Portland Oregon
556 Posts

Profile of Jim Pace
Harvey,
When you said that The Web OPENLY offers part of the solution to card on the ceiling,...What? That just does not make any sense.
I can guess that you will assume that your spectator,...after watching card on ceiling and then going right into the Web that they might suspect how one or both are accomplished. That would be a mistake from any magician. Think about your effects before you perform them.
Even though one of many questions that's asked after the card on ceiling is "How does it stay up there?" I have to ask, does the spectator really want to know? They know that we will respond with something like "MAGIC" or "It's a stucco ceiling"
Come on people we are supposed to be magicians. If you are giving clues to how your magic is done it is probably because you need some work on your routine.
As far as the Web goes....Well, spiders can easily walk upside down. You will still have to deal with "How does it stay there?"
Respectfully,
Jim Pace
Harvey Nerzof
View Profile
Regular user
193 Posts

Profile of Harvey Nerzof
Quote:
On 2003-12-16 00:36, Jim Pace wrote:
When you said that The Web OPENLY offers part of the solution to card on the ceiling,...What? That just does not make any sense.
I can guess that you will assume that your spectator,...after watching card on cieling and then going right into the Web that they might suspect how one or both are accomplished.

Is that a wrong assumption? And you don't need to perform them in close succession, since most human beings have memory and make deductions.

Quote:
Even though one of many questions that's asked after the card on ceiling is "How does it stay up there?" I have to ask, does the spectator really want to know?

You bet!

Jim, probably my "Card On Ceiling" observation is not a good reason to criticize your trick. But IMHO the Web may reduce the impact of this wonderful classic.

Cheers,

H.
marko
View Profile
Inner circle
2109 Posts

Profile of marko
How in the world does The Web expose Card On Ceiling. Because it reveals to your audience that things can be 'sticky' (a fact known only to magicians)? Come on...
Thought: Why does man kill? He kills for food. And not only food: frequently there must be a beverage.
Jim Pace
View Profile
V.I.P.
Portland Oregon
556 Posts

Profile of Jim Pace
I am going to bed...
Good night,
Jim
Harvey Nerzof
View Profile
Regular user
193 Posts

Profile of Harvey Nerzof
Quote:
On 2003-12-16 18:28, marko wrote:
How in the world does The Web expose Card On Ceiling. Because it reveals to your audience that things can be 'sticky' (a fact known only to magicians)? Come on...

Marko, the Web does not "reveal to your audience that things can be sticky", it uses the SAME GIMMICK of the Card on Ceiling, suggests that you are secretly carrying it, and leaves it IN THEIR HANDS for examination.

Remember another prank: the spectators try to grab a bill from the floor, and it moves away. Are you just "revealing to your audience that things can be attached to threads"? What would the audience think of your floating bill routine? Is it worth to
hinder the impact of Signature Pieces to perform cheap tricks?

Samuel Beckett wrote that you could learn something useful from anyone... See how many [possible] insights from a mere prank?

Good night,

H.
kihei kid
View Profile
Inner circle
Dog House
1039 Posts

Profile of kihei kid
In all actuality Harvey I believe this is were you are mistaken. The human mind has 3 memories, short-term, mid-term and long-term. In short-term it is constantly remembering and discarding things; you open the door and remember to close it then your brain discards it.

Mid-term memory; I have a dentist appointment next Thursday at 9:00, after the appointment it discards it. Long-term memory; the day you got married and said, “I do”, you never forget that moment for as long as you live.

I do not do “The Web” or “Card on Ceiling”, although these are both fantastic effects they are just not me. If I did however I would not do them back to back for obvious reasons, that would be like doing the #2 pencil and a hot rod one right after another.

And for that matter I wouldn’t do the #2 pencil but once in the same venue and I would not have any other paddle effect with me unless of course I was doing it for a completely different group of people.

Now let’s say you did “Card on Ceiling” for some friends one night then a week goes by and you’re back to performing magic for the same bunch. This time you do “The Web” it is highly unlikely that after their heart rate slows down and everybody stops laughing when the spec goes back to their hands (to wipe them off?), everyone is going to be thinking about “Card on Ceiling”.

Your analogy of the prank were the bill on the floor moves away does not work for me either, if it did everybody who has ever seen that prank would put 2 and 2 together and suspect every levitation is due to threads. When someone sees me floating a bill I guarantee you they are not thinking about, or remembering the bill on the floor prank.

And were I definitely part ways with you is your thoughts about how “The Web” may reduce the impact of “Card on Ceiling”, trust me, it doesn’t. That would be like saying the #2 pencil is bad for the “classic” hot rod.

And with all due respect to your Samuel Beckett quote I don’t perform magic for a lay audience to teach them, I do it to entertain them. And that’s why they are watching in the first place.
In loving memory of Hughie Thomasson 1952-2007.

You brought something beautiful to this world, you touched my heart, my soul and my life. You will be greatly missed.

Until we meet again “my old friend”.
Harvey Nerzof
View Profile
Regular user
193 Posts

Profile of Harvey Nerzof
Quote:
On 2003-12-17 09:19, kihei kid wrote:
I do not do “The Web” or “Card on Ceiling”, although these are both fantastic effects they are just not me.

Now let’s say you did “Card on Ceiling” for some friends one night then a week goes by and you’re back to performing magic for the same bunch. This time you do “The Web” it is highly unlikely that after their heart rate slows down and everybody stops laughing when the spec goes back to their hands (to wipe them off?), everyone is going to be thinking about “Card on Ceiling”.

Your analogy of the prank were the bill on the floor moves away does not work for me either, if it did everybody who has ever seen that prank would put 2 and 2 together and suspect every levitation is due to threads. When someone sees me floating a bill I guarantee you they are not thinking about, or remembering the bill on the floor prank.

I've been doing the Card on Ceiling and the Floating Bill for 15 years, and I guarantee they are thinking about it. Perform those effects before reaching dangerous conclusions... and always be careful in underestimating the spectators' intelligence.

By the way, in my experience, the Card on Ceiling and the Floating Bill routines can both fall into the "long-term" category if performed correctly (cf. the Ammar versions).

Quote:
And were I definitely part ways with you is your thoughts about how “The Web” may reduce the impact of “Card on Ceiling”, trust me, it doesn’t. That would be like saying the #2 pencil is bad for the “classic” hot rod.

No, because the #2 pencil does not expose the working, it just uses the same principle.

Quote:
And with all due respect to your Samuel Beckett quote I don’t perform magic for a lay audience to teach them, I do it to entertain them. And that’s why they are watching in the first place.

Sorry, you misunderstood the quote... I suggest you (re)read "Waiting for Godot"

H.
Kaliix
View Profile
Inner circle
Connecticut
1990 Posts

Profile of Kaliix
So when doing card to ceiling, what do you think the spectator is thinking when they see their card stuck to the ceiling?

"Gee, that card is just magically attached to the ceiling!"
"I have no idea how an one object would stick to another!"
"That's just incredible!"

I'd be a lot of them don't think much about it at all, other than to be amazed that their card appeared on the ceiling.

If one where to think about it for any length of time, they would immediately think "Gee, that card is stuck to the ceiling? How would you make a card stick to the ceiling? I bet it's probably tape or something sticky like that."

As you said, "always be careful in underestimating
the spectators' intelligence."

So how is the web spoiling the trick again? When any reasonably intelligent spectator can figure out that you used something sticky to attach the card to the ceiling?

Geez, that's not a stretch!
The greatest obstacle to discovery is not ignorance; it is the illusion of knowledge.
~Daniel J. Boorstin
SethHoward
View Profile
Loyal user
277 Posts

Profile of SethHoward
Harvey,
It sounds like you have had a bad experience using The Web. Care to elaborate?
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricks & Effects » » Jim Pace's The Web (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.05 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL