The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » Need a special kind of force (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

ApprenticeWizard
View Profile
Regular user
Charlottesville, VA
170 Posts

Profile of ApprenticeWizard
I would like some suggestions for forcing a card from a small group of cards (4 or 5) spread face down on the table. I don't want to use any sort of equivoque. Want something more convincing. Got some ideas of my own, but I'm interested in knowing what's already been invented and published that meets these requirements.
Magically yours,
Tom Olshefski
Axelchen
View Profile
Elite user
Germany
413 Posts

Profile of Axelchen
Hi Tom,

I don´t know your routine, the plot and what is possible or not, but if you want to avoid equivoque I would use an idea I got from Max Maven (he used it in a Banknight-type effect), where the spectator uses a die to eliminate five envelopes from six and the remaining one is forced...in the moment I don´t know where I got it from (perhaps some lecture notes), but it is sure-fire and to me a brilliant idea. please give me some time to find the source if you are interested, ok?!

All the best,

Axel
T. Joseph O'Malley
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada
1937 Posts

Profile of T. Joseph O'Malley
5 identical cards. If they're face down, they'd never know the difference.
tjo'
ApprenticeWizard
View Profile
Regular user
Charlottesville, VA
170 Posts

Profile of ApprenticeWizard
Axel, yes I'm interested.

tjo, I should have explained that the 4 or 5 cards are first selected by the spectator and shown face up before they are apparently all placed face-down on the table. In reality one of them is switched for the card to be forced. Once the cards are on the table I want a sensible, natural-looking procedure that forces the force card. I want to be able to turn the remaining 3 (or 4) cards face up as an added convincer, hence duplicates are ruled out. Hope this clarifies what I'm looking for.
Magically yours,
Tom Olshefski
Sleightofbrain
View Profile
New user
66 Posts

Profile of Sleightofbrain
I'm so lazy I would switch the cards out after they were selected.
Rick Holcombe
View Profile
Special user
624 Posts

Profile of Rick Holcombe
Have you thought about false counts? Instead of laying them on the table, you could have them in a fan, then they call a number 1-4or 5 ; you false count to reveal the force card. Some thought would be involved with the initial placement of your force card, but apart from equivoque I'd think about this option.
MagicJuggler
View Profile
Inner circle
Anchorage, AK
1161 Posts

Profile of MagicJuggler
I would't show the card faces immediately before turning them down unless there's a mixing process involved. Otherwise the spectator might try for a specific card, and they need to think of it as random. Certainly show all the cards and do your switch, but don't let them know which card is where. Then place the card at the fourth position (of five) then do the timing force where you tap each card and tell them to say stop whenever they want. Most people will stop at 4 especially since you start tapping each card before you let them know to call stop. It's very much a timing thing, but with enough practice you can make it almost 100%.
Matthew Olsen

I heard from a friend that anecdotal evidence is actually quite reliable.
Jaz
View Profile
Inner circle
NJ, U.S.
6111 Posts

Profile of Jaz
You could have say 4 queens in CHSD order on bottom of the deck, have 4 cards touched and outjogged and do Derek Dingle's 'No Lap' switch. Then have one of those selected.
You will know which queen it is.
Nicolino
View Profile
Inner circle
2893 Posts

Profile of Nicolino
Quote:
On 2012-09-07 19:19, Axelchen wrote:
Hi Tom,

I don´t know your routine, the plot and what is possible or not, but if you want to avoid equivoque I would use an idea I got from Max Maven (he used it in a Banknight-type effect), where the spectator uses a die to eliminate five envelopes from six and the remaining one is forced...in the moment I don´t know where I got it from (perhaps some lecture notes), but it is sure-fire and to me a brilliant idea. please give me some time to find the source if you are interested, ok?!

All the best,

Axel

Wasn't that Just Chintz from Nothing?
The Mati Envelope
A brandnew peek device for the working mentalist!

Chance's Token
Tarot cards in a scenic piece of mystery.....
magico
View Profile
Special user
Connecticut
862 Posts

Profile of magico
How about using the down and under deal as a way of eliminating the cards from 5 to 1.
Harry Lorayne
View Profile
1926 - 2023
New York City
8558 Posts

Profile of Harry Lorayne
You might look up Reverse Faro Ending, which I've taught in a few of my books (quite a few variations in Special Effects) - anyway, it forces one card of five perfectly.
[email]harrylorayne@earthlink.net[/email]

http://www.harrylorayne.com
http://www.harryloraynemagic.com
crestfallenLyric
View Profile
Veteran user
307 Posts

Profile of crestfallenLyric
I really like the PATEO force if I have several cards or items and I want to force one.
"It is better for a man to honor his profession, than to be honored by it." - Robert-Houdin
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » Need a special kind of force (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL