The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Street Magic » » Trick demo's? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Mrmelice
View Profile
New user
3 Posts

Profile of Mrmelice
Hey everyone,
Is it just me or do you as magicians, when you see a magic trick/illusion performed on a video demo you know exactly how the trick is done 89% of the time after seeing it? Well for me this seems to be the case. I feel as if I am ripping the artists off of a sale of a very good effect. Smile For example I watched the demo for Mayne's Shock FX and figured out how to do all of the ones previewed there and I think I figured out Peter Loughran's Elevator levitation as well just by watching the video once. Do I just have a good imagination to figure exactly how these things are done or do I just have good eyes? I don't mean to figure out the effects, I just want to see if they look good. What do you guy/gals think?
Jason Fleming
View Profile
Veteran user
Marooned, Hawaii
374 Posts

Profile of Jason Fleming
I think I better concentrate harder, because for me it only works 87.4% of the time...Rats!

I think this is an interesting question, because magic is no doubt becoming more and more commercial. It seems as though there was a time when learning from the creative minds required acceptance into their inner circle. You got there by reading the texts and practicing and performing. The process took months, if not years, if not decades. Now you need a credit card and a paypal account for the DVD, and they'll sit in your living room complete with rewind and slow-mo.

If I make my own stripper deck, am I doing something unethical and wrong? How about if I make my own sub-trunk? How about if I make my own snow animator? How about if I hear a great line by a stand up comedian on Comedy Central...or one from a magician's DVD, or a magician's live performance?

Am I wrong to take a great routine, put my own handling/personality into it, and call it mine?

...and why?
Dbzkid999
View Profile
Elite user
Canada
407 Posts

Profile of Dbzkid999
When I look at the vids from Penguin Magic, I could figure them out 90% of the times.
david_a_whitehead
View Profile
Inner circle
USA
2122 Posts

Profile of david_a_whitehead
Same here on the penguin magic
djvirtualreality
View Profile
Inner circle
MayfieldNew York
1347 Posts

Profile of djvirtualreality
I think it is good to be able to figure a trick out so you know what you are getting before hand. I mean even if you knew what the gimmick was, I would buy it anyway. Like Blizzard, I know what the gimmick is and the whole routine but I'm still going to buy it. That is only me though, the magic community may not like my thoughts.
Life is an illusion, death is reality.
Eirik
View Profile
Special user
Oslo
879 Posts

Profile of Eirik
Its nice to be able to figure out demotricks, but that's probably cause you combine your knowlege of magic, together with your imagination - it only means that you are a creative guy.
Nevertheless - laymen watching these have no clue, and that is why we do magic in the first place right? to entertain laymen...?
Atleast that is why l buy magictricks Smile
-e-
...As long as i`m not a world-champion at anything, the great reactions of doin` magic will do just fine.....
Kondini
View Profile
Inner circle
3609 Posts

Profile of Kondini
As you are a magician you will never again look at magic the way lay people do. So if you want to know if an effect is good (Response way`s) Then watch the look on the speckies faces as they watch.Method is nothing audience response is everything (They pay us ! ).
strmagiceet
View Profile
New user
75 Posts

Profile of strmagiceet
I don't think it really matters if you figure out the effect, I mean its just one effect. I always end up getting the whole video. I admit that I used to figure out the effect on the demo but not anymore, theres no time with all the practicng I have to do. Beginniers learn from demos experts are smarter.... they buy em and give credit to the creative mind that created the sleights/effects.
Reis O'Brien
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle, WA
2467 Posts

Profile of Reis O'Brien
I agree that even I am starting to spot the methods rather easily in the demos. But I still get my fair share of being fooled. Even when I buy a new effect and try it out for the first time, I think "This is so obvious! They're gonna see it immediately!" But they never do.

I think it's important to try and keep that "spectator" frame of mind when approaching a new effect. To try and see as they would see it.
Homo vult decipi; decipiatur

http://www.myspace.com/liar_4_hire
Mrmelice
View Profile
New user
3 Posts

Profile of Mrmelice
Well guys, thanks for your thoughts... Smile
shanester
View Profile
Loyal user
Darlington, England
267 Posts

Profile of shanester
Firedice has the ball I believe. We forget that magicians know the techniques and avoid the misdirection. Keep trying to fool spectators, not magicians
Shanester
owenscott
View Profile
Regular user
168 Posts

Profile of owenscott
"Dont run if nobodys chasing you" So true. Alot of us work to fool magi but then never show it to any. If we did simpler tricks it would be easy, fool most, and be better alot of the time. Sometimes technical is good sometimes its not.
Dan Monroe
View Profile
Loyal user
Indiana
209 Posts

Profile of Dan Monroe
I have bought many tricks that I already new how they were done. But a lot of times you want the gimmick to be better than the ones you try to make.
The power is within us all...I'm just a little more full of it.
danmonroe.bravehost.com
netartifacts
View Profile
New user
Delaware, USA
21 Posts

Profile of netartifacts
When you guys first saw D'lite demoed, did you figured it out?
"Three may keep a secret if two are dead" Ben Franklin
Rob Johnston
View Profile
Inner circle
Utah
2060 Posts

Profile of Rob Johnston
It is their own fault for posting the videos. You cannot blame yourself for knowing how another magician does something. If they expose it is their fault...even if they do not know they are exposing.
"Genius is another word for magic, and the whole point of magic is that it is inexplicable." - Margot Fonteyn
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Street Magic » » Trick demo's? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL