The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » The Delayed Faro Control (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Steven Keyl
View Profile
Inner circle
Washington, D.C.
2630 Posts

Profile of Steven Keyl
This info was originally provided in direct response to a question posed downstairs, which was about the most direct way to position a card 8th or 9th from the top of the deck. This didn't help the OP but it might be of benefit to others.

The video can be found at the link below and I genuinely hope that some of you may find the material to be of interest. If you don't currently do faro work then maybe this will provide some additional motivation to start wood shedding.

Also, please let me know if this method is already published. I've not seen it anywhere but I wouldn't be surprised if someone tells me "Marlo wrote 4 books on this exact thing!" If it is published I will update the entry with proper crediting.

This is something I'm quite proud of and I hope you find it useful. As always, thanks for watching.

http://www.magicbookreport.com/2012/09/delayed-faro-control/
Steven Keyl - The Human Whisperer!

B2B Magazine Test!

Best impromptu progressive Ace Assembly ever!

"If you ever find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause, and reflect." --Mark Twain
SIX
View Profile
Inner circle
New York City
1772 Posts

Profile of SIX
Steven, thanks for sharing. I mastered the faro when I was about 16, and that was for being a move monkey. Now, at 23 I'm starting to see the endless possibilities that a perfect faro opens you up to. Great work and thanks again!

Six
Steven Keyl
View Profile
Inner circle
Washington, D.C.
2630 Posts

Profile of Steven Keyl
Glad somebody liked it!

It was brought to my attention that some people were having trouble viewing the video. For those people experiencing an issue, the problem has been fixed.

B2B Magazine Test!

"If you ever find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause, and reflect." --Mark Twain
panlives
View Profile
Inner circle
2087 Posts

Profile of panlives
Quote:
On 2012-09-19 06:39, Steven Keyl wrote:
Glad somebody liked it!

It was brought to my attention that some people were having trouble viewing the video. For those people experiencing an issue, the problem has been fixed.

I very much liked your solution, but lack the historical knowledge re: provenance of the method.

Your other videos and in particular your John Bannon demos are also terrific!
"Is there any point to which you would wish to draw my attention?"
"To the curious incident of the dog in the night-time."
"The dog did nothing in the night-time."
"That was the curious incident," remarked Sherlock Holmes.
Ruairidh
View Profile
Regular user
London
200 Posts

Profile of Ruairidh
Very cool. Thanks for posting.
Rizzo
View Profile
Inner circle
East Coast
3349 Posts

Profile of Rizzo
Steven, great video. Also like your ace assembly.
magicwanabe
View Profile
Regular user
156 Posts

Profile of magicwanabe
Steven -- I don't post very often but I am an avid reader on this forum. Your posts are always very insightful for me (and I am sure many others, too). I have been faroing for at least a couple of years now -- your video was really helpful regarding calculations on the fly. Thanks for posting your video!
ljsviol
View Profile
Veteran user
345 Posts

Profile of ljsviol
Steven,
Just another big "Thank you" for your video here (I haven't seen much shuffle control work and it was interesting to learn from you) and also for your "Magic Book Report" website. I've bought most of the books you review there. -) Excellent demos!

Larry Samuels
Dennis Loomis
View Profile
1943 - 2013
2113 Posts

Profile of Dennis Loomis
Steve,
Thanks so much for calling our attention to this. Your discussion of the mathematics of the Faro is marvelous. I'm new to Faro work, but I will be going back to this often, I suspect.

Dennis Loomis
Itinerant Montebank
<BR>http://www.loomismagic.com
Wizzard
View Profile
Veteran user
322 Posts

Profile of Wizzard
Steven,
Thanks you, very nice.
Are you familiar a Jon Racherbaumer E-book of Marlo called 'Faro Controlled Miracles'? It is 161 pages and goes into great depth on the subject. It is a tantilizing book with many aspects of the Faro.
Thanks again.
John
It's never the wand, it's always the magician
Steven Keyl
View Profile
Inner circle
Washington, D.C.
2630 Posts

Profile of Steven Keyl
Thanks everybody. Glad the material can be of use. John, I went to Racherbaumer's website but it's under construction so I'm not able to get a hold of the ebook yet. Hopefully it will be back online soon. When it does I'll definitely check out the book. Thanks for the recommendation.

B2B Magazine Test!

Gary T.
View Profile
Veteran user
375 Posts

Profile of Gary T.
That's really awesome, but it feels like a pass would be more "direct" if that's what we're aiming for, personally I would just use a cut and an overhand shuffle to get a card 8th from the bottom, but I do really like this and will probably play with it to see if I like it, either way this is really good and I thank you for putting this together
Gary T.
View Profile
Veteran user
375 Posts

Profile of Gary T.
Just to clarify my last post, I said I like it and I would play with it to see if I like it, I meant I like it overall, (the idea and look of it or whatever) but I need to play with it to see if I like actually doing it lol
nicolasmtg
View Profile
Veteran user
Argentina
378 Posts

Profile of nicolasmtg
Hello I like this kinda thinking I use faro a lot and I use something I came up with but again ..its all invented...(its really similar to your method, but I think its more easy to remember and apply it... here it is..)

do a faro check so you have a break between 26 cards.
to position a card to X from the top of the deck: X/2 if x is for example 6 then you do 6/2..3 so 3 is the number of cards you need to move your break ... soo noo we need to position our break between the 29th and 30th card...and then you need to force a card from the top half and put it bak at the break...then you do a OUT FARO and walla Smile
if x is 7 then 7 cant be divided in 2 so we add 1 (8) 8/2..4 we move the break 4 cards.. and do the same but as we add one at first..we need to do an IN faro

if you want to position a card X from bottom you do the same but instead of starting with the break betwwen 26 and 27... you need to move one card soo you start with a break between 27 and 28 and instead of moving your break down... you move it UP

example... you want a card 5 from bottom then you do a faro check and move your break one card.. so you have a break between 27 and 28... then force a card of the top pile...and move your break 3 cards to the top ((5+1)/2)so you end with a break between 24th and 25th CARD ...put your card there and do an IN faro...

if someone have any question just pm Smile I have a lot of ideas with faros I love it XD. right now I'm preparing a lecture about it .

just as a food for your brain ... with these formula imagine:

having a deck shufle (controling 4 ases at top) then have a card selected ..lose it in the deck ... and shufling (faro) and controling 4 ases to the top and the selcted card to 5 from top Smile... or 2 jokers and a card 3rd form top or imagine this.. joker, CARD ,joker produce the jokers with a damico srpead and you are too FAR from the audience.

the good thing about it is that the shuffle and production of other cards is a really good psichological MISSDIRECTION for the control of the selected card and add on to the little paket Smile

sorry about mi bad english I'm from argentina.
--------Magician and director at NONTRICKS.COM--------
R.E. Byrnes
View Profile
Inner circle
1206 Posts

Profile of R.E. Byrnes
So clear and useful it seems as if it would have been published by Marlo or someone who has similarly devoted a lot of attention to faros; but I have no prior source. Steve Keyl is one of the most consistently superb posters here. More than just a move, this would seem to inform a constant state of mind when using faros, particularly with a memorized stack, which allows for a control no matter where the card is replaced. Steve's nice touch with the post-replacement dribble, though, gives a nice illusion of an arbitrary replacement.
taiga
View Profile
Veteran user
Chicoutimi, Qc
317 Posts

Profile of taiga
Steven,

Thank you for all the details given in your superb video!! You gave me answers I was looking for since a little time. You are a good teacher! thanks again!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » The Delayed Faro Control (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL