The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Thumb Tip (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
desert_gold_hound
View Profile
New user
18 Posts

Profile of desert_gold_hound
I know this is probaly been asked before but for some reason the search is not letting me search all forums.

I purchased a fake thumb some time ago and it was hard rubber and I couldn't use it as it was fake looking even from a distance.

With that said what is the best (I am not rich) thumb for a begginer and where to get that is a good source. I purchased my last one on ebay and regret that thumb purchase.

Are they all made out of Hard plastic like my old one? I want to do the blendo trick and there is no way with my current one.

I know my spelling isn't that good I am reinstalling office soon.
55Hudson
View Profile
Special user
Minneapolis
984 Posts

Profile of 55Hudson
TTs cone in a variety of sizes and either soft or hard. Most people use hard, which are readily available at your local magic shop. They are also available on line at probably evey online shop. However, given your experience level, you would probably benefit from a brick and mortar shop.

That said, your issue is probably not the TT, but your use of it. TTs are not designed to be seen. There are several DVDs and books on how to handle a TT properly. I've found The World's Greatest Magic series to be good value (~$20 a DVD) and they do have one on TTs.

Hudson.
desert_gold_hound
View Profile
New user
18 Posts

Mine was no better then the ones you get in the trick pack at a Dollar Store. I probaly wasn't using it right I put it on my thumb and did that to show my hands empty then placed in my hand. I didn't receive instructions with it just guessed. I do not have a brick and morter store near me and don't feel like the three hour drive to vegas to get tricks.

Is this http://www.ebay.com/itm/THUMB-TIPS-World......6e092997 the DVD you are sugesting? If so I will purchase it today.
gomerel
View Profile
Elite user
458 Posts

Profile of gomerel
A thought for TT manufacturers and online shops. Make something like the chips they have at paint stores. Could be mailed to prospective buyers. Could be in postcard format (but, of course nothing on the card saying what they were for.)
desert_gold_hound
View Profile
New user
18 Posts

I went ahead and purchased even if its wrong it still should be helpfull.
Ray Bertrand
View Profile
Inner circle
Ottawa, Ontario
1452 Posts

Profile of Ray Bertrand
Vernet makes some of the best TT's. They can be found at most online stores.

Ray
Mentalism in Ontario.
desert_gold_hound
View Profile
New user
18 Posts

Thank you I just purchased a Vernet TT. I will give the suggested DVD and the TT a try.
jimhlou
View Profile
Inner circle
3698 Posts

Profile of jimhlou
You made a good purchase with the dvd. It's hard to buy a thumbtip on line, you don't know what you're getting or what color it it. That being said, the TT should rarely be visible if handled properly.

If you can find a circular object like a ring that fits just over the knuckle of your thumb, measure the inside diameter of the object. Then look on ebay until you find one that specifies this same measurement. That's the only way to order one that will fit.

Once you get a good one, you'll be able to do miracles - and even people who are in the know about "fake thumbs" will be fooled.Have fun!

Jim
55Hudson
View Profile
Special user
Minneapolis
984 Posts

Profile of 55Hudson
Desert - yes, that was the DVD I suggested. As a follow on suggestion, I recommend The Magic Warehouse as a good source for ordering online (lots of other good websites, that's just the one I use when I can't get to a brick and mortar.

You should also consider a magic club, SAM, IBM, or some other local club. There is no substitute for one-on-one coaching from a more experienced Magacian.

Good luck with your magic studies!

Hudson.
desert_gold_hound
View Profile
New user
18 Posts

I live in a small town (Lake Havasu City, AZ) I doubt there are many if any Magacians here. I have thought about the clubs and will probaly join some latter. I look forward to receiving the DVD and will let you all know what I think (pass blame to 55Hudson [j/k]).
Kozzi
View Profile
New user
50 Posts

Profile of Kozzi
Hey desert_gold_hound,

As has been said above, TT's aren't meant to be seen in the open. When I first got a TT I was so concerned about how fake it looked that I sanded it back and painted it to match my skin colour perfectly. Funnily enough, everybody still saw it.

I then basically got the same advice you did: learn how to use it well and keep it effectively concealed. My DVD was just a magic makers dvd but it had the requisite information, especially when I asked for further advice at my local store.

Since then I have spray painted one of my TTs black so I can better gauge when I am revealing it to the audience. I use the coloured TT during practice in front of the mirror and video camera. I reckon I could pull off the majority of my effects using the black TT now, and haven't had an issue using a standard TT since.

So don't think of the garish thumb as a liability, see it as good training. Learn how to use it well and conceal it even better and you'll be laughing.
Andy Young
View Profile
Special user
Jersey Shore, PA
822 Posts

Profile of Andy Young
Here is a thread on Thumb Tip sizes and types

Link to thumb tips
motown
View Profile
Inner circle
Atlanta by way of Detroit
6136 Posts

Profile of motown
If your using it properly you shouldn't have a problem.
"If you ever write anything about me after I'm gone, I will come back and haunt you."
– Karl Germain
gomerel
View Profile
Elite user
458 Posts

Profile of gomerel
Thanks Andy
RussoMagic.com
View Profile
Loyal user
242 Posts

Profile of RussoMagic.com
Yeah, there are hard ones... you have to look for them - try Vernet!
desert_gold_hound
View Profile
New user
18 Posts

Good day and bad day!!!!

I got the movie in so that's good...Bad is I got to work all day and then go to a church outing so I cant watch tonight. SNIFF SNIFF

I also got in my appering cane (actualy like better then I thought, wax, and PK ring). I also ordered the card to wallet from the same series as I found it used for $4.00.

Will let you all know how it goes in a day or two.
highcard
View Profile
New user
48 Posts

Profile of highcard
This isn't something I need at the moment but I've found a wealth of information on these forums so have saved tips in a spreadsheet for if and when I do need them. I have quite a few recommended products, books, and DVDs now on my list that I'll work on acquiring.
desert_gold_hound
View Profile
New user
18 Posts

My thumbtip came in and you wont beleive my luck. It actualy was a perfect fit. I am SOOOOOOOOOOOOO Happy and I have been able to watch a little bit of the movie durring work today as its a slow day. I may be able to practice a little bit also I hope but I must say this tip looks a lot better then the one I had. It actualy looks real if I keep my hand moving so I can actualy flash it for a second or two and get away with it.

The movie from just the little bit I watched A+, the tip is A++, the advice received from themagiccafe.com A++++++++++. Many thanks and many trick's up our sleeves.
jimhlou
View Profile
Inner circle
3698 Posts

Profile of jimhlou
Good luck with it. When you show your "dirty" hand empty, point the fingers and thumb of the hand directly at the aucience like a claw hand. The audience will be looking directly at the very end tip of the TT. Lower the hand to your side and tuck the thumb in toward your palm.

Jim
desert_gold_hound
View Profile
New user
18 Posts

I decided to do two of the tricks on the public at my meeting. The water pore (they used milk) and the sweetener. I was able to pull them off like I was doing it for years. I loved the sudden silence of one group and the AWWWWWWWWWWWWW of the other group. I thank you all for the suggested video and WOW what a powerful tool. I even purposely flashed the TT a few times just to prove to my self that movement keeps it hidden. I love the "Saddest trick in the world" that is listed in the video and will defiantly take that and make it my own somehow.

I am thinking that even though my TT fits good, I would like a tt a bit larger that fits a little loose. I am thinking about a metal tip for cig's but don't know if I want to go there as I am an ex smoker and cant stand the smell of it now.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Thumb Tip (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL