The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » Rocky Raccoon in the Restaurants (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
asgar
View Profile
Elite user
409 Posts

Profile of asgar
Finally I'm working in a restaurant regularly.This is a good place to hone tricks.What do you think about using Rocky Raccoon in the restaurants.I do not like the idea of using furry stuff near the food.But its a great and funny effect.Specially for the small kids.
Magic is believing in yourself, if you can do that, you can make anything happen.
Daryl -the other brother
View Profile
Special user
Chicago
594 Posts

Profile of Daryl -the other brother
You answered your own question.

Quote:
On 2012-09-24 05:51, asgar wrote:
I do not like the idea of using furry stuff near the food.
Andrew Morse
View Profile
Regular user
Corvallis, OR
157 Posts

Profile of Andrew Morse
Whether or not this is appropriate in a restaurant setting can be debated. I would never do it because I would hate to have to carry it. It that a spring puppet in your pocket, or.......?
Christopher Lyle
View Profile
Inner circle
Dallas, Texas
5698 Posts

Profile of Christopher Lyle
As a patron, would you want someone walking around with what appears to a be live animal in a restaurant setting where you're trying to dine? I wouldn't. Let common sense light your path... Smile
In Mystery,

Christopher Lyle
Magician, Comic, Daredevil, and Balloon Twisting Genius
For a Good Time...CLICK HERE!
S2000magician
View Profile
Inner circle
Yorba Linda, CA
3465 Posts

Profile of S2000magician
I do not like the idea of food near the furry stuff.

Discretion, meet valor.
professorwhut
View Profile
Inner circle
Posts R US sold me
1353 Posts

Profile of professorwhut
Put yourself in the position of a layman, restaurant patron. Would you want potential animal fur on your plate. Real or faux.
Plus, some people are always going to think the raccoon is real no matter what.
I think this would be a great way to get kicked out of the place.
After much soul searching about a signature, I decided not to have one.

TG Pop [aka ProfessorWhut]
S2000magician
View Profile
Inner circle
Yorba Linda, CA
3465 Posts

Profile of S2000magician
Quote:
On 2012-09-24 16:39, professorwhut wrote:
I think this would be a great way to get kicked out of the place.

Now that you bring it up, just think of the possibilities it would open up for usurping someone else's gig.

;)
LeoH
View Profile
Elite user
437 Posts

Profile of LeoH
I would not use it in a restaurant, and would not like Rocky around my food.
Daz Buckley
View Profile
Elite user
Australia
469 Posts

Profile of Daz Buckley
Opinion seems to be " No "
mystre71
View Profile
Inner circle
martinsburg west virginia
1693 Posts

Profile of mystre71
I seem to remember a routine, and I think it was published in Magic Menu, where Rocky finds a selected card. I also had a friend that used Rocky in his restaurant gig, for years.
Walk around coin box work check it out here https://www.magicalmystries.com/products
Keith Raygor
View Profile
Special user
Naples, FL
968 Posts

Profile of Keith Raygor
I keep one at the restaurant, and have used it sparingly. I'm very careful about when and where I bring it out for specific tables. I wouldn't take a chance on disturbing another table even for a moment, but if a table has kids that are well-behaved and clearly having fun - and in a section that can't be seen by the others - I'll bring it out. It is always rewarding for both the guests and myself.
Ken Northridge
View Profile
Inner circle
Atlantic City, NJ
2393 Posts

Profile of Ken Northridge
Gentlemen, lighten up a little! Its fake! You're worried about a holding fake raccoon when everyone else in the restaurant is eating a dead animal! I have used Spot the Skunk from time to time and there has been no stink about it!

Seriously, has anyone had a situation in which a guest complained? Or have you all simply steered clear of even trying it?

There have been times that I've come to my restaurant from a birthday party and didn't have time to drop off the rabbit at home. So, if its slow I'll take the rabbit around and have the kids pet the rabbit. I know, horrible, right? Once again, I never had a complaint, only very happy children, parents, and a restaurant manager asking when I'm bringing the rabbit in again.
"Love is the real magic." -Doug Henning
www.KenNorthridge.com
Zombie Magic
View Profile
Inner circle
I went out for a beer and now have
8733 Posts

Profile of Zombie Magic
Quote:
On 2012-09-25 17:12, Ken Northridge wrote:
Gentlemen, lighten up a little! Its fake! You're worried about a holding fake raccoon when everyone else in the restaurant is eating a dead animal! I have used Spot the Skunk from time to time and there has been no stink about it!

Seriously, has anyone had a situation in which a guest complained? Or have you all simply steered clear of even trying it?

There have been times that I've come to my restaurant from a birthday party and didn't have time to drop off the rabbit at home. So, if its slow I'll take the rabbit around and have the kids pet the rabbit. I know, horrible, right? Once again, I never had a complaint, only very happy children, parents, and a restaurant manager asking when I'm bringing the rabbit in again.

Ken, all you say is correct. It all could be done for 30 years without an issue.

Then again...someone could get a complaint the first time out. These days many people like to exert some power in situations just to do it.

There are board of health laws and if someone called and complained about a live animal, no matter how small, there would be trouble.They could even call the board of health about the faux raccoon saying it was real.

A privately owned restaurant is always the best to work at. Corporate owned upper management love to throw the baby out with the bath water on any compliant, real or legit.
themagicguy
View Profile
Loyal user
Australia
281 Posts

Profile of themagicguy
Quote:
On 2012-09-25 17:12, Ken Northridge wrote:
Gentlemen, lighten up a little! Its fake! You're worried about a holding fake raccoon when everyone else in the restaurant is eating a dead animal!

Classic and so true!

I have used Rocky in the restaurant for 3 years now, not so much anymore. I was originally given the same advice but honestly kids love it and everyone that comes back to see you always ask to see him again.

Just do it plus because you get to use him so much in front of an audience you will end up with a good routine for a stand up act.
Beowulf
View Profile
Loyal user
Thomas A. Lilly
284 Posts

Profile of Beowulf
Used Rocky for years in restaurants with no problem and loads of laughs. Only dicey time was when I was behind a bar, Rocky leaped across it at a patron on a stool, and she wind-milled her arms to keep her balance. Everybody laughed, but I dropped the leap.
Countage
View Profile
Veteran user
Charlotte
361 Posts

Profile of Countage
Make sure you use the bit where the manager says you can't have live animals in the restaurant and you slap rocky across the table. I love that one.

Seriously make sure you know your client well enough before you introduce it.
Pecan_Creek
View Profile
Veteran user
The Nation of TEXAS!
323 Posts

Profile of Pecan_Creek
What about wearing a fur coat in a restaurant?

Isn't Rocky just a springs fur coat?
Alan Munro
View Profile
Inner circle
Kentwood, Michigan, USA
5952 Posts

Profile of Alan Munro
Quote:
On 2012-09-26 17:35, Pecan_Creek wrote:
What about wearing a fur coat in a restaurant?

Isn't Rocky just a springs fur coat?

Yup, but I wouldn't want either of them near my food. They both shed and the fur gets airborne.
volto
View Profile
Special user
603 Posts

Profile of volto
The only time a raccoon should be seen in a restaurant is if it's stuffed, roasted and served on a bed of polenta with a wild berry jus.
Mary Mowder
View Profile
Inner circle
Sacramento / Elk Grove, CA
3662 Posts

Profile of Mary Mowder
There is a faux fur "Roxanne" available but I'd save the spring from a Rocky (if you have one) because I found the spring in mine so stiff as to be almost unworkable. I don't think it was the faux fur but the spring itself that made it hard to operate. I have not bought a rocky to get a softer spring because I don't want to buy a rocky. Roxanne is cute but clearly not real. You can't do the bits of blowing the fur to get expression.

Remember that a fur coat would not be so welcome in a restaurant as it once may have been.

-Mary Mowder
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » Rocky Raccoon in the Restaurants (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL