The Magic Cafť
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index Ľ Ľ Books, Pamphlets & Lecture Notes Ľ Ľ New book (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

 Go to page 1~2~3~4~5~6 [Next]
Darwin Ortiz
View Profile
V.I.P.
390 Posts

Profile of Darwin Ortiz
Hi,

There have been rumors for a while now that I was working on a new card book in the mode of Cardshark, Darwin Ortiz at the Card Table, and Scams & Fantasies with Cards. The rumors are true. Up until now I have avoided the inquiries Iíve gotten about this because I didnít want to create interest before the project was in its final stage.

That final stage has arrived. The book is called Lessons in Card Mastery. It contains thirty card effects. It will retail for $55. It will be very similar to my previous card books, although slightly larger.

In addition to the regular edition, there will also be a Deluxe Collectors' Edition. It is limited to 100 numbered, signed copies, bound in bonded leather, in a custom slipcase, with a bound-in ribbon bookmark. The price for this limited edition will be $110. Those who order earliest will receive the lowest numbered copies and when theyíre gone, theyíre gone.

I should have copies available for shipping in about five weeks. Between now and then, I will accept pre-orders. If you pre-order, Iíll have a mailer addressed to you and ready to go so that your book will ship the moment I receive copies from the printer.

As a thank-you to anyone who pre-orders, I will pay domestic shipping on the regular edition. (Unfortunately, I canít make the same offer for overseas orders or limited-edition orders.) I will also autograph each copy (unless you request otherwise).

I you want to pre-order, email me at the address in my signature.

Sincerely,
Darwin Ortiz
Peo Olsson
View Profile
Inner circle
Stockholm, Sweden
3262 Posts

Profile of Peo Olsson
Great news Darwin. I'm looking foreward to this one as I have all your previous books.
Pictured to the left my hero and me during FISM 2006 in Stockholm.
alexhui
View Profile
Inner circle
Hong Kong
1612 Posts

Profile of alexhui
This is a great news! I look forwards to this book as I enjoyed all the previous books you wrote.

Alex Hui
The Real Way of Magic is to touch the soul of our audience, but not to touch the ego of our soul
motown
View Profile
Inner circle
Atlanta by way of Detroit
5545 Posts

Profile of motown
That's great news Darwin. Will this book also have a mix of gambling and non-gambling effects/routines?
"If you ever write anything about me after I'm gone, I will come back and haunt you."
Ė Karl Germain
Darwin Ortiz
View Profile
V.I.P.
390 Posts

Profile of Darwin Ortiz
Quote:
On 2012-10-13 23:47, motown wrote:
That's great news Darwin. Will this book also have a mix of gambling and non-gambling effects/routines?

Yes. Among other things, it contains what I sincerely believe is the strongest Texas Holdíem routine to appear to date (completely impromptu). It also contains several effects that, while not gambling routines, could be considered skill demonstrations. The bulk of the effects are, of course, card magic.
Daren
View Profile
Inner circle
1380 Posts

Profile of Daren
Hi darwin, any chance of a list of contents?
Peo Olsson
View Profile
Inner circle
Stockholm, Sweden
3262 Posts

Profile of Peo Olsson
How many pages, and who is the publisher?
Pictured to the left my hero and me during FISM 2006 in Stockholm.
Darwin Ortiz
View Profile
V.I.P.
390 Posts

Profile of Darwin Ortiz
The book is 281 pages in the same oversize format as my other card books. It contains about 280 illustrations by Tony Dunn and is published by Ortiz Publications.

I wonít list the table of contents only because I really donít think it will provide any insights, except perhaps into my taste in movies. As with my previous books, many of the trick titles are obscure movie titles.
Daren
View Profile
Inner circle
1380 Posts

Profile of Daren
Just pre-ordered! :O)
Zedd
View Profile
Regular user
Germany
192 Posts

Profile of Zedd
Me too!!!!!

Darwin, do you also have some of your memdeck work in the book??

Best regards,

Zedd
MARKC
View Profile
New user
UK
59 Posts

Profile of MARKC
Will this be available from dealers? because the cost of postage to the UK will be criminal
Darwin Ortiz
View Profile
V.I.P.
390 Posts

Profile of Darwin Ortiz
Quote:
On 2012-10-14 12:07, Zedd wrote:
Me too!!!!!

Darwin, do you also have some of your memdeck work in the book??

Best regards,

Zedd

There are seven effects in the book that use a memorized stack. These can be performed with any memorized stack.
Darwin Ortiz
View Profile
V.I.P.
390 Posts

Profile of Darwin Ortiz
Quote:
On 2012-10-14 15:06, MARKC wrote:
Will this be available from dealers? because the cost of postage to the UK will be criminal

The book will be available through dealers. Keep in mind that overseas magic dealers also have to pay to have books shipped to them from the U.S. They usually incorporate that cost into the price they charge. That said, I canít say how the costs would compare buying from me vs. buying from a dealer in your country.
PapaG
View Profile
Special user
730 Posts

Profile of PapaG
Quote:
On 2012-10-14 08:09, Darwin Ortiz wrote:
I wonít list the table of contents only because I really donít think it will provide any insights, except perhaps into my taste in movies.


Having discovered, amongst other things, a Richard Widmark gem from previous insights, this in itself would always be interesting.

Very much looking forward to the new book.
Darwin Ortiz
View Profile
V.I.P.
390 Posts

Profile of Darwin Ortiz
Quote:
On 2012-10-14 18:42, PapaG wrote:
Quote:
On 2012-10-14 08:09, Darwin Ortiz wrote:
I wonít list the table of contents only because I really donít think it will provide any insights, except perhaps into my taste in movies.


Having discovered, amongst other things, a Richard Widmark gem from previous insights, this in itself would always be interesting.

Very much looking forward to the new book.

Pickup on South Street is definitely a noir classic from the great Sam Fuller.

However, I don't recommend that anyone watch Cannibal Holocaust even though I named a card trick after it.
magicfish
View Profile
Inner circle
3967 Posts

Profile of magicfish
Will the pre- order deal apply to Canada?
Darwin Ortiz
View Profile
V.I.P.
390 Posts

Profile of Darwin Ortiz
Unfortunately, I canít afford to cover the cost of shipping to Canada. So, if youíre Canadian, the only advantages of pre-ordering are that the book will be personally autographed to you and will be shipped to you the moment that I receive it from the printer.
magicfish
View Profile
Inner circle
3967 Posts

Profile of magicfish
Sounds great, Darwin, your books are on my "will not part with" list. I can't wait to get this one.
michaelvincent
View Profile
V.I.P.
566 Posts

Profile of michaelvincent
I am really excited to see this book finally come to light.

I have been privileged to see many of these effects from Darwin long before I new he was writing a new book. When he asked me to read the book in draft form, I was blown away by the sheer quality of the material. Many of the effects that I had seen are included plus new routines that are simply 'breathtaking'. In reading through the draft, it occurred to me that this new book could well be his finest to date. It represent a quantum leap in quality, creativity, intellectual analysis and sheer value for money. It is no secret that I am big fan of Darwin's books and have been long before I became one of his students.

I make no apology for my enthusiasm for his latest contribution to the subject of card magic. I feel the title of this book lives up to claim, 'Lessons in Card Mastery' is your opportunity to take your studies to a post graduate level, do it, you will not be disappointed.

Michael Vincent
London
Magic for the 21st Century
"Why be mediocre, when you have excellence as an option"

Mastering Magic

Elegant Decpetions

Learning Tools

The All Cards Blog

The Vincent Academy of Magic
Vlad_77
View Profile
Inner circle
The Netherlands
4985 Posts

Profile of Vlad_77
Quote:
On 2012-10-20 11:50, Michaelvincent wrote:
I am really excited to see this book finally come to light.

I have been privileged to see many of these effects from Darwin long before I new he was writing a new book. When he asked me to read the book in draft form, I was blown away by the sheer quality of the material. Many of the effects that I had seen are included plus new routines that are simply 'breathtaking'. In reading through the draft, it occurred to me that this new book could well be his finest to date. It represent a quantum leap in quality, creativity, intellectual analysis and sheer value for money. It is no secret that I am big fan of Darwin's books and have been long before I became one of his students.

I make no apology for my enthusiasm for his latest contribution to the subject of card magic. I feel the title of this book lives up to claim, 'Lessons in Card Mastery' is your opportunity to take your studies to a post graduate level, do it, you will not be disappointed.

Michael Vincent
London


Mr. Vincent,

There is certainly no need for you to apologize; I would argue that your praise of any work speaks volumes - please pardon the pun - such that hacks like myself will definitely sit up and take notice. That said, I will buy any Darwin Ortiz book sight unseen; the same applies to your material and a handful of others. I am hoping that EU dealers won't kill us on the price Smile

With deep respect,
Vlad
michaelvincent
View Profile
V.I.P.
566 Posts

Profile of michaelvincent
Quote:
On 2012-10-21 09:54, Vlad_77 wrote:
Quote:
On 2012-10-20 11:50, Michaelvincent wrote:
I am really excited to see this book finally come to light.

I have been privileged to see many of these effects from Darwin long before I new he was writing a new book. When he asked me to read the book in draft form, I was blown away by the sheer quality of the material. Many of the effects that I had seen are included plus new routines that are simply 'breathtaking'. In reading through the draft, it occurred to me that this new book could well be his finest to date. It represent a quantum leap in quality, creativity, intellectual analysis and sheer value for money. It is no secret that I am big fan of Darwin's books and have been long before I became one of his students.

I make no apology for my enthusiasm for his latest contribution to the subject of card magic. I feel the title of this book lives up to claim, 'Lessons in Card Mastery' is your opportunity to take your studies to a post graduate level, do it, you will not be disappointed.

Michael Vincent
London


Mr. Vincent,

There is certainly no need for you to apologize; I would argue that your praise of any work speaks volumes - please pardon the pun - such that hacks like myself will definitely sit up and take notice. That said, I will buy any Darwin Ortiz book sight unseen; the same applies to your material and a handful of others. I am hoping that EU dealers won't kill us on the price Smile

With deep respect,
Vlad


Thank you Vlad

This book is one to treasure and grow from.

Cheers

Michael
Magic for the 21st Century
"Why be mediocre, when you have excellence as an option"

Mastering Magic

Elegant Decpetions

Learning Tools

The All Cards Blog

The Vincent Academy of Magic
Motor City
View Profile
Elite user
Home Of John Luka Magic
469 Posts

Profile of Motor City
This IS very good news. It looks like anyone near the Metropolitan Detroit Area will get a chance to see Darwin perform some of these effects live at the Motor City Close-Up Convention in just four short weeks.

I know that I am very excited about seeing Darwin.

If you are able, try to attend and spend some time with Darwin. Information regarding the convention can be found at: http://www.johnlukamagic.com/convention_main.html
www.johnlukamagic.com
[email]johnlukamagic@gmail.com[/email]
Kjellstrom
View Profile
Inner circle
Sweden, Scandinavia, Europe
4480 Posts

Profile of Kjellstrom
I look forward to get my hands on this book, I have all Darwins books and they are my favourites.
When I perform cardmagic from Darwins books I get great reactions every time.
Magic is very fun!
Kjellstrom
View Profile
Inner circle
Sweden, Scandinavia, Europe
4480 Posts

Profile of Kjellstrom
Will you produce a Dvd set?
Magic is very fun!
Darwin Ortiz
View Profile
V.I.P.
390 Posts

Profile of Darwin Ortiz
Quote:
On 2012-10-22 13:51, Kjellstrom wrote:
Will you produce a Dvd set?

Hi Mats,

The DVD market has shrunk to the point where I donít know if Iíll ever do another DVD set. Itís impossible to know what the future holds. But, as of now, it seems likely that anyone who wants to learn all the effects in this book will have to own the book.

Thanks for your kind words about my earlier books.

Once again, anyone who wants to pre-order Lessons in Card Mastery should email me at the address in my signature.

Sincerely,
Darwin Ortiz
pierredan
View Profile
Elite user
Dai Vernon's birthplace
448 Posts

Profile of pierredan
Hi Darwin

I have always purchased your DVD sets and they have always been an indispensible learning aid to go along with your books.

How has the DVD market changed? I see new sets of DVDs released all the time. I assume DVDs sell or else we would see less and not more DVDs being released. Am I missing something?

Thank you.
sirbrad
View Profile
Inner circle
1592 Posts

Profile of sirbrad
Sounds good, I love books as I am from the old school of book collectors. But I also love DVDS as well, and better yet books that come with a companion DVD kinda like the Definitive Sankey set, or two DVDS for the deluxe set. I don't see how the market has shrunk and most these days want DVDS as they are more "visual" and are better for teaching timing of sleights and moves. I also love watching the presentation of other magicians. Books just give you a lot more info for the price but I love both combined for the best overall learning tool.
The great trouble with magicians is the fact that they believe when they have bought a certain trick or piece of apparatus, and know the method or procedure, that they are full-fledged mystifiers. -- Harry Houdini
Darwin Ortiz
View Profile
V.I.P.
390 Posts

Profile of Darwin Ortiz
Hi Pierredan,

Iím not an expert on the DVD market and wonít pretend to be. It seems to me, however, that the major DVD companies are releasing ever fewer DVD sets of the kind Iíve made in the past. I suspect that the main reason is bootlegging.

Again, I canít say what the future holds, but I have no present plans of making a DVD set to accompany Lessons in Card Mastery.

Sincerely,
Darwin Ortiz
Zuke
View Profile
Loyal user
274 Posts

Profile of Zuke
Quote:
On 2012-10-22 20:29, Darwin Ortiz wrote:

The DVD market has shrunk to the point where I donít know if Iíll ever do another DVD set.

Sincerely,
Darwin Ortiz


Really? I would have thought the opposite were true.

:wow:
michaelvincent
View Profile
V.I.P.
566 Posts

Profile of michaelvincent
Having read Darwin's new book in draft form, I experienced a personal sense of achievement and fulfilment at having learnt many of the routines from the printed page.
Not only that, this new book has stimulated my creativity in ways I could not have predicted.
Darwin's writing style and teaching ability is the absolute best in this new book.
I am excited for anyone out there who loves elegantly crafted card magic.
This books delivers.


Michael Vincent
London
Magic for the 21st Century
"Why be mediocre, when you have excellence as an option"

Mastering Magic

Elegant Decpetions

Learning Tools

The All Cards Blog

The Vincent Academy of Magic
The Magic Cafe Forum Index Ľ Ľ Books, Pamphlets & Lecture Notes Ľ Ľ New book (0 Likes)
<<< Previous Topic Next Topic >>>
 Go to page 1~2~3~4~5~6 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001- 2014 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.269116 seconds, requiring 108 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

[1] [0] [6] [6] [5] [9] [9] [7] [5] [0]