The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Books, Pamphlets & Lecture Notes » » New book (90 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8~9 [Next]
puffinmonkey
View Profile
Elite user
Seattle
437 Posts

Profile of puffinmonkey
Sweetbeans! Thanks for the update! Count me in. Waiting by the window for the mailman.

-Alex
Peo Olsson
View Profile
Inner circle
Stockholm, Sweden
3260 Posts

Profile of Peo Olsson
I want this one as I have Darwin's all other books, but will wait for it till I can purchase it from a dealer here in europe.
Pictured to the left my hero and me during FISM 2006 in Stockholm.
Darwin Ortiz
View Profile
V.I.P.
486 Posts

Profile of Darwin Ortiz
I just want to let everyone know that I have only four copies of the Deluxe Collectors’ Edition left. I have also made some copies available to dealers, so you can always track one down that way. But if you want a copy personally inscribed from me to you, there are only four more.

Regular copies are still available (autographed upon request), but the free shipping offer is over.

If you want to order, send me an email at the address in my signature.

Sincerely,
Darwin Ortiz
Philippe Noël
View Profile
New user
Belgium
71 Posts

Profile of Philippe Noël
Hi Darwin,
I am very pleased to learn that you have a new book available.
I will send you an e-mail to order it.
I also would love to buy a DVD with your new material and perhaps also with your interpretation of classics such as The invisible Palm, Triumph or The homing card.
You could perhaps shoot this DVD with Alakasam in Eastwell Manor .
All the best,

Philippe Noel
oscarf
View Profile
Regular user
159 Posts

Profile of oscarf
Quote:
On 2012-12-20 00:57, rnaviaux wrote:
No worries...now if those new PX90 DVDs would show up I might be able to lose a few pounds over the holidays as well;)

I now have both Lessons In Card Mastery and P90X, and the former is winning - I can't put it down. It is full of obviously great material just on browsing through. It will take a long time to work through everything!

Perhaps P90X will fit in somewhere after the new year. Smile
andrewstephensmagic
View Profile
New user
11 Posts

Profile of andrewstephensmagic
Just got mine from Vanishing Inc. They offer free shipping and I'm excited to get it!
BrandonWilliams
View Profile
Loyal user
246 Posts

Profile of BrandonWilliams
Still haven't received mine. Gotta say I'm a bit dissappointed. Preordered in October and people who ordered through retail outlets have theirs first.
rnaviaux
View Profile
Loyal user
287 Posts

Profile of rnaviaux
Received mine yesterday. Having read through it once and am now starting to work on the material in it starting from the beginning.

I think I remember, earlier in this thread, Mr. Vincent saying this work is a "post graduate" work on the topic of card magic. I must admit I was curious how that could be so. Not anymore. I sure wouldn't give this book to a beginner. Although there are effects that "aren't" technically difficult, needing no more than an ability to cut the deck, nontheless this is sophisticated material.

While one may not need to have studied all of Darwin's earlier work to appreciatte this latest entry it sure wouldn't hurt.

Long ago I relaized I wouldn't have the time (until maybe I retire) to really become a scholar of magic. I would have to find a few authors that have done a lot of the hard work for me. (I know this sounds a bit lazy but I simply am not interested in reinventing the wheel.) Imagine my reaction to being sold a book called "Cardshark" written by Darwin Ortiz. The guy behind the counter had demonstrated a routine or two from the book and told me this was the book I wanted. Frankly I wasn't too impressed with the routines but bought the book at his insistence.

I came back a few days later and asked what the heck is a "pink count." Then he sold me At the Card Table written by this same individual I had never heard of in over 20 years in magic by then. (Bruce Elliot and Henry Hay were my inspirations at that point. I spent a lot of time in libraries and not much in magic shops.)

This was 99 and that guy behind the counter at the magic store was named "Paul Vigil."

I devoured At the Card Table and then Cardshark and started to rpeform the magic therein at every opportunity. I soon realized that I had no real idea of what constituted strong magic. Wouldn't you know it. That enigmatic Paul Vigil then pulled out a book called Strong Magic and said "There isn't a single trick in this book. This is the only book I take with me when I travel." By this time I trusted Paul and his recommendations so I bought it and read it. And thus I began my real education in magic.

Mr. Kaufman once made a comment on his forum that any magician would/should know the information in that book. Well with the publication of Strong magic it is much easier to get to that point without as much trial and error.

Scams and Fantasies was next to be published and now we have Card Mastery. Reading through this book made me refelct on how much I have learned over the last 13 years. I'm thinking if I hadn't put in the time and effort to study those earlier works just mentioned I might not get as much as I have already gotten out of this latest offering.

How lucky are we to have someone publish the fruits of his life's labors so we can impress an entertain an audience with a few card tricks? I know its given me quite the reputation and in times of need as enabled me to survive a layoff as well as to get a job. (Another story for another time.)

So a sincere thank you to Mr. Ortiz for this wonderful Christmas present.

P.S. - The PX90 DVDs arrived but a friend told me about "Insanity DVDs" and I have gone ahead and ordered them as I am positive they will give me faster and better results than PX90.
michaelvincent
View Profile
V.I.P.
567 Posts

Profile of michaelvincent
Quote:
On 2012-12-23 20:53, rnaviaux wrote:
Received mine yesterday. Having read through it once and am now starting to work on the material in it starting from the beginning.

I think I remember, earlier in this thread, Mr. Vincent saying this work is a "post graduate" work on the topic of card magic. I must admit I was curious how that could be so. Not anymore. I sure wouldn't give this book to a beginner. Although there are effects that "aren't" technically difficult, needing no more than an ability to cut the deck, nontheless this is sophisticated material.

While one may not need to have studied all of Darwin's earlier work to appreciatte this latest entry it sure wouldn't hurt.

Long ago I relaized I wouldn't have the time (until maybe I retire) to really become a scholar of magic. I would have to find a few authors that have done a lot of the hard work for me. (I know this sounds a bit lazy but I simply am not interested in reinventing the wheel.) Imagine my reaction to being sold a book called "Cardshark" written by Darwin Ortiz. The guy behind the counter had demonstrated a routine or two from the book and told me this was the book I wanted. Frankly I wasn't too impressed with the routines but bought the book at his insistence.

I came back a few days later and asked what the heck is a "pink count." Then he sold me At the Card Table written by this same individual I had never heard of in over 20 years in magic by then. (Bruce Elliot and Henry Hay were my inspirations at that point. I spent a lot of time in libraries and not much in magic shops.)

This was 99 and that guy behind the counter at the magic store was named "Paul Vigil."

I devoured At the Card Table and then Cardshark and started to rpeform the magic therein at every opportunity. I soon realized that I had no real idea of what constituted strong magic. Wouldn't you know it. That enigmatic Paul Vigil then pulled out a book called Strong Magic and said "There isn't a single trick in this book. This is the only book I take with me when I travel." By this time I trusted Paul and his recommendations so I bought it and read it. And thus I began my real education in magic.

Mr. Kaufman once made a comment on his forum that any magician would/should know the information in that book. Well with the publication of Strong magic it is much easier to get to that point without as much trial and error.

Scams and Fantasies was next to be published and now we have Card Mastery. Reading through this book made me refelct on how much I have learned over the last 13 years. I'm thinking if I hadn't put in the time and effort to study those earlier works just mentioned I might not get as much as I have already gotten out of this latest offering.

How lucky are we to have someone publish the fruits of his life's labors so we can impress an entertain an audience with a few card tricks? I know its given me quite the reputation and in times of need as enabled me to survive a layoff as well as to get a job. (Another story for another time.)

So a sincere thank you to Mr. Ortiz for this wonderful Christmas present.

P.S. - The PX90 DVDs arrived but a friend told me about "Insanity DVDs" and I have gone ahead and ordered them as I am positive they will give me faster and better results than PX90.

Loved your story and honesty.
I can really get a sense of your journey over the last few years.
I have been studying Darwin's work since I first read his name in Harry Lorayne's book "Afterthoughts" - I was 15 years old.
It has been a fantastic adventure.

Best wishes to you and I know you will discover a lot of gems in the new book.

Mike Vincent
London
Magic for the 21st Century
"Why be mediocre, when you have excellence as an option"

Mastering Magic

Elegant Decpetions

Learning Tools

The All Cards Blog

The Vincent Academy of Magic
highcard
View Profile
New user
48 Posts

Profile of highcard
Quote:
On 2012-12-23 13:43, andrewstephensmagic wrote:
Just got mine from Vanishing Inc. They offer free shipping and I'm excited to get it!

In my short time here I'm astonished by how many fake shill accounts I've seen from vanishing inc on these forums.
BrandonWilliams
View Profile
Loyal user
246 Posts

Profile of BrandonWilliams
Got mine today, I'm sure it will be more than worth the wait! Thanks Darwin.
Magiguy
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle, WA
5473 Posts

Profile of Magiguy
Bummer! I pre-ordered the deluxe edition, and with my luck it will show up on Wednesday (the day I head out of town on business for 10 days!!). Oh well. Something to look forward to when I get back, I guess. Smile
Erdnase27
View Profile
Inner circle
2505 Posts

Profile of Erdnase27
Ordered mine. It will only show up on 9th of januari (the magicshop where I ordered it , is closed until then), but I have something to wait for!
Thanks Darwin, I have all your books with exception of "At the Card Table". Since I am very interested in performing 4 items from that book (Las Vegas Shuffle, Gemini Twins, Mexican Poker and Jackpot), I hope that you will reprint it at one time!)

Thanks and your work inspires me!

Kind regards
Erd
rnaviaux
View Profile
Loyal user
287 Posts

Profile of rnaviaux
Erdnase27 - several of those effects are in his recent DVD set "Nothing but the Best."
Darwin Ortiz
View Profile
V.I.P.
486 Posts

Profile of Darwin Ortiz
At this point, almost all of the regular editions have shipped. The few remaining will go out next week.

The collectors’ edition arrived late because of a delay in manufacturing the slipcases. Only about half of those have gone out so far. The rest will go out next week. (I have two of these still available.)

Sincerely,
Darwin Ortiz

PS: Erdnase27, thanks for the kind words.
Erdnase27
View Profile
Inner circle
2505 Posts

Profile of Erdnase27
Quote:
On 2012-12-28 15:39, rnaviaux wrote:
Erdnase27 - several of those effects are in his recent DVD set "Nothing but the Best."

I know, and I could just buy those, but I prefer books and as long as Darwin Ortiz is "planning to do it", well that's enough for me to keep hope Smile

Thanks for the advice anyway Smile
poonchingyip
View Profile
Elite user
Canada
419 Posts

Profile of poonchingyip
Thanks god, I thought I missed my package!!
Thanks for the update Smile

- Arthur
Sean Macfarlane
View Profile
Special user
880 Posts

Profile of Sean Macfarlane
Got mine in Hong Kong today!
KLG
View Profile
Veteran user
Hong Kong
348 Posts

Profile of KLG
Patiently waiting for my copy (Hong Kong too).
KLG
View Profile
Veteran user
Hong Kong
348 Posts

Profile of KLG
The package just arrived! Thanks Darwin!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Books, Pamphlets & Lecture Notes » » New book (90 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8~9 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.05 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL