The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » Sitting or standing (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

david_a_whitehead
View Profile
Inner circle
USA
2122 Posts

Profile of david_a_whitehead
So I perform close up magic standing up at a table. I feel very uncomfortable sitting at a table and doing card/coin tricks. is there any advantage to sitting besides lapping, I feel like standing gives you greater range of motion thus greater misdirection techniques. any sitters out there??
secondbaseman
View Profile
Loyal user
Amsterdam
225 Posts

Profile of secondbaseman
Same here I prefer standing
bumbleface
View Profile
Elite user
434 Posts

Profile of bumbleface
Yeah, sitting may be good for conventions and such, but when it comes to performing in the real world, I find that most of the time, I'm forced to stand.... Smile
david_a_whitehead
View Profile
Inner circle
USA
2122 Posts

Profile of david_a_whitehead
I heard Larry Jennings used to sit at a table for most of his effects...is this true? was he a lapper? Smile
flea
View Profile
Regular user
122 Posts

Profile of flea
The only time I would ever consider sitting at a table is if I'm performing in a intimate setting, with about 2-7 people sitting around the same table. Otherwise I really don't see any advantage to sitting. I can only think of two times I've ever performed professionally sitting and honestly, I struggled somewhat, because some moves (even simple ones like the Elmsley count) seemed very awkward to me. I also became paranoid wondering if my angles were the same sitting as they were standing. But hey, that's just me!

Curtis
thk5353
View Profile
Regular user
Northern New Jersey
183 Posts

Profile of thk5353
Although standing is better just because it is easier to manipulate the cards and pull off sleights, if everyone else is sitting down then there's more exposure. Also by forcing yourself to conceal the angle will make you look awkward. Some tricks don't require too much angle management, like those self working tricks and even tricks like triumph.

So depending on the circumstance, for close-up magic, sit if they are sitting and stand if they are standing. I personally would make them standup by moving them to a chairless table...
Mistro
View Profile
Special user
Canada
578 Posts

Profile of Mistro
I also prefer standing. It gives me a lot more room to wave my hands and stuff.
ddjmagic
View Profile
New user
53 Posts

Profile of ddjmagic
I prefer standing when I am performing, I don't like sitting down unless I need to
S2000magician
View Profile
Inner circle
Yorba Linda, CA
3501 Posts

Profile of S2000magician
Although I stand for most of my performances, when the atmosphere is right (or my feet are really, really tired Smile) I will sit at a table. Sitting with your audience results in a much more intimate performance, and the results can be startlingly different than when you are standing, even though you're performing the same effects. Many of the strongest reactions I have gotten have come whilst sitting with my audience. You are much more likely to get someone who believes they've seen real magic when sitting with them because it's much more of a "shared" experience than it is a "show".
Paul Chosse
View Profile
V.I.P.
1955 - 2010
2389 Posts

Profile of Paul Chosse
Don Alan always sat - he believed in being the center of attention - he was the star - people came to see him, not the other way 'round. If he stood at people's tables he was in the "servant" position, like a waiter, there to serve people. Don felt that was a bad position to be in. He did stand to do his standup act, or stage stuff, but that was it - more later...

Best, PSC
"You can't steal a gift..." Dizzy Gillespie
Pete Biro
View Profile
V.I.P.
18516 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
To my knowledge, Jennings was NOT a lapper in the sense that Slydini was. Larry may have lapped occasionally, but it wasn't the main thrust of his work.

Many cardmen sit, because when you PLAY cards (poker, etc.) you sit around the table. Smile

Paul, didn't Don "stand" on Magic Ranch, behind a podium type stand? Much like a bar worker.

I know when I saw him work hospitality rooms, etc. he would sit at a large round table with folks seated and another row or two standing behind them. And he would work it out so the table was in a corner so he could sit with his back to the corner to control "where people could stand and watch." Smile
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
twistedace
View Profile
Inner circle
philadelphia
3771 Posts

Profile of twistedace
I myself prefer to stand. I also find sitting awkward. I've rearranged effects that require lapping in most cases to fit my style with topit work. Not an easy task in most cases. Sitting is ok but I never really get the chance to do it anyway so...I try to always stand.
Tommy Brown
View Profile
Regular user
111 Posts

Profile of Tommy Brown
If I'm ever given the choice, I would rather sit than stand. It's not always practical, but that's what I prefer.
flea
View Profile
Regular user
122 Posts

Profile of flea
As long as your comfortable with it, that's the right choice. I really don't think there's a wrong answer here. This is just a list of people's preferences.

Curtis
Dorian Rhodell
View Profile
Inner circle
San Francisco, CA.
1622 Posts

Profile of Dorian Rhodell
Yes Jennings sat. But it was at the bar!
niva
View Profile
Inner circle
Malta (Europe)
2913 Posts

Profile of niva
That's strange! I was going to ask this same question to people here.

It's all true that sitting makes magic more intimate and that when you play cards you sit. But when you are sitting at a table you don't show the cards in an Elmsley count fashion, for instance. This subject was dealt with by Eugene Burger in his 3 volume.

The Elmsley fashion, is good to show the cards to your self, but not to others. Those who saw Bill Malone's DVDs now what I am talking about. Even though the cameras were everywhere and standing higher than people, sometimes you can't see the cards he is showing. Or else ther is some point where Bill stands up just to do a Colour Change. Smile Don't get me wrong. Bill is one of the best and funniest performers I have ever seen and maybe I will ever see.

But is it really worth it to sit. Besides, I just started practicing a lot while sitting, and I find it very tiring to practice while sitting. I got such a back ache afterwards. Using a coffee table would be much better, I think. Just my 2 Maltese cents.
Yours,

Ivan
Scott F. Guinn
View Profile
Inner circle
"Great Scott!" aka "Palms of Putty" & "Poof Daddy G"
6575 Posts

Profile of Scott F. Guinn
At restaurants while table-hopping, I stand unless I am specifically invited to sit by the table. Otherwise, I typically stand when the crowd is standing and sit when they are sitting. Most of my informal or impromptu work for a few friends is sitting. If I have a small home party of under about 15 people, I usually sit. It is more intimate--note that the term "stand-offish" is not "sit-offish." The audience tends to get more involved when sitting and it opens up a whole realm of lapping, loads, etc, not possible when standing.

I perform both ways, as the situation warrants. I think it is bad to limit yourself just because something can't ALWAYS be used.
"Love God, laugh more, spend more time with the ones you love, play with children, do good to those in need, and eat more ice cream. There is more to life than magic tricks." - Scott F. Guinn
My Lybrary Page
Mago Mai
View Profile
Elite user
Venezuela
485 Posts

Profile of Mago Mai
Some effects I might saat but if I want to create a powerful close encounter reaction ,I will stand real close to the spectator and lean a little forward to approach him or her closer.This way I can create an atmosphere that what is about to happen willl be important.

Mago Mai
I invite all of you to share some of my magic on videos.Please, CLICK HERE
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » Sitting or standing (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2017 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.15 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL