The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The May 2002 entrée: Jim Sisti » » PR and Image » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Darrin Cook
View Profile
Special user
621 Posts

Profile of Darrin Cook
Your photo in this forum and your new photo (I believe it's the one where you're with the cups and balls.) are really professional looking. What do you recommend in the way of PR and self-promotion for the restaurant worker?
Jim Sisti
View Profile
V.I.P.
Connecticut
457 Posts

Profile of Jim Sisti
You should always go with the very best you can afford. I realize everyone has a budget but this is show business and at the end of the day, unless someone has seen your show, you're selling an image. So, your business card, promotional photo, brochure, etc. should be as professional-looking as you can possibly make it.

That means that you should know when to call in an expert. With the vast improvement in ink-jet and laser printer quality and the short learning curve of some of the more user-friendly software programs, many are under the impression that they can just design their own promotional materials. However, 9 out of 10 times, it looks like a homemade job, especially to corporate clients.

By the way, it was Anne White who took the photographs you mentioned.
Missing_Link
View Profile
Elite user
442 Posts

Profile of Missing_Link
As someone who writes pr/ brochures etc for corporate clients - and performers - I whole heartedly agree with you Jim. In this businesses, you are selling an image, and reputation, before you sell your act.

Same goes with websites - treat them like a virtual brochure and apply the same standards as you would with a brochure.

Slainte!

ML

My day job: http://www.bruntoncom.com
variable75
View Profile
New user
66 Posts

Profile of variable75
On the topic of promotion what would you recommend for the new aspiring resturant worker? Will just a good business card do the trick, need a photo also, etc. This is the type of information we need to discuss here, because this is the side no one wants to put any work into.
Jim Sisti
View Profile
V.I.P.
Connecticut
457 Posts

Profile of Jim Sisti
For restaurant work, the most important thing is your business card. Make sure it's understated and dignified and, above all, don't try to make it work too hard. I remember a performer giving me a card once that said, "Restaurants, trade shows, birthday parties, Bar and Bat Mitzvahs, weddings and grand openings a specialty." Yeah...right...

Your second most important consideration is to have advertising in the restaurant's lobby or "front area." Even if you have to do it yourself (or have it designed), make sure that it has a good, professional photograph and the days and hours you're actually at the restaurant.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The May 2002 entrée: Jim Sisti » » PR and Image » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL