The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Mentally Speaking » » Dr. Bill's Bend (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3~4 [Next]
bahamagician
View Profile
Regular user
137 Posts

Profile of bahamagician
Didn't see a post here about this and I just wanted to give my thoughts on this brilliant piece.

It's available at:

http://www.outlaw-effects.com/store/the-......end.html

Here's the blurb:

Quote:

“I chose to perform "Dr. Bill's Bend" on my television special because I needed a pendulum routine with a distinct ending. My studio audience loved this routine, and so did I. Perhaps I should add it to my live shows at the Waldorf-Astoria? It's that strong.”

-Steve Cohen, The Millionaires' Magician

Imagine using a simple pendulum made from a piece of ribbon and a key (these can all be borrowed) to teach an entire audience to focus their mental powers in ways that will blow their minds! Then imagine what starts happening when keys begin bending in their hands! Dr. Bill’s Bend is pitch perfect as is, or it can be the smash climax to any routine highlighting the wonders of pendulums.

Originally published in David Thiel’s anthology “Pendulum Magic: Routines For Mystery Performers,” Dr. Bill’s Bend has been updated to include Steve Cohen’s very dramatic touches, subtleties from Banachek, as well as ideas and a full presentation from Mauricio Jaramillo. Dr. Bill’s Bend, described by David Thiel as a “system” for creating pendulum effects, can truly be performed for one or one thousand.

There are several variations, including ideas from Andrew Gerard, Tony Razzano and Bob Cassidy. This is a “mini-course” on getting the most out of your pendulum work. Instructions on enhancing your use of suggestion are also part and parcel of Dr. Bill’s Bend!

Buy the ebook that gives you a tried and true audience tested routine that is engaging from start to finish and is both elegantly conceived and executed! Just $25!

"If you've ever wanted to do a metal bending effect, but lacked a well laid out routine with which to present it, Dr. Bill's Bend is a great way to go. It builds logically by employing ideomotor response to help your audience suspend their disbelief as the effect reaches its climax. One can easily see why it was chosen by Steve Cohen to be included in his TV special, “Lost Magic Decoded."

Bruce Bernstein
http://www.brucembernstein.com/

"An absolutely wonderful framework for metal bending. The audience has something to see and a wonderful surprise at the end. This is a reputation maker."

Banachek

"When I first looked at Dr. Bill's Bend, I knew I was holding something very special. There is much more than a simple routine...it's an entire presentation that crackles with fresh thinking. An absolute masterwork."

David Thiel

"Dr. Bill's Bend is, without doubt, one of the best key bending routines I have seen. The presentational script is powerful and there is absolutely no heat on the moment of the bend. Whether you are a Mentalist or a Magician, Dr. Bill's Bend is guaranteed to mesmerize, entertain, and stun any audience."

Peter Duffie

My Thoughts:

There's just so much I want to say about this. In all honesty, part of my excitement for this piece comes down to my recent interest in pendulum work and anything else to do with the power of suggestion. I abolutely adored Docc Hilford's Dead or Alive pendulum routine and this (in my mind at least) let's me take my pendulum routine to the next level. Docc's routine, while good, didn't have a very logical climax. It ends with a startling revelation of a name which departs from the effect of the pendulum moving. This routine however, ends with a bang that's logical and sure to get astonished gasps.

There are secrets given away in this book that let you take this from a mere trick to a miracle. For example, Bill gives you a method of finding the perfect spectator to use for this routine by way of a single simple question. He also goes into detail about how to encourage the spectators to get engaged in the routine in a way that transforms this into what Bob Cassidy would call a "major effect". You may be tempted to gloss over these finer details, but please understand that these are secrets that can make all the difference.

Another thing I like about this routine is the fact that it can play to small or large audiences without much adjustment. You can however, dress it up for larger audiences as shown in the book by the tips offered from Steve Cohen. Imagine having a 4 minute routine that can play for an entire room full of people AND fit in your pocket.

When you see a professional like Steve Cohen considering putting a new routine in his show, then you know it must be a winner. That's how I judge the material I purchase. I perform 7 shows a week and new material must be able to stand up to real world performances. I can say without a doubt that this routine stands up and stands up well.

-=Chris
Bill Cushman
View Profile
Inner circle
Florida
2876 Posts

Profile of Bill Cushman
Thanks Chris! I'm glad you appreciate this so much.

The feedback has been superb and I've really only just started selling it due to the classic situation of a hard drive crash just as it was completed. And after that was resolved, my email stopped working for 2 days! But all is well now.

A couple of comments. Greg Arce contributed a fantastic idea that isn't mentioned in the ad. It allows for another phase to the ending that is amazing as it is simple. Typical Greg.

Banachek's contribution is a 3-step strategy that can be applied to ANY effect where you want to enhance the perception of physical sensations within the participant's hand. I am already receiving "worth the price of the book" feedback for this alone! Banachek hasn't widely shared this method so I'm very flattered he allowed me to do so in Dr. Bill's Bend.

Have people seen the special? If so what did you think?

I had recorded the show and put it on way past my bedtime. I promptly fell asleep then woke at the very moment Steve was beginning his performance of Dr. Bill's Bend! It was surreal to say the least. I wasn't sure I wasn't dreaming, LOL!
Stephen Young
View Profile
Inner circle
Thought Illusions
3933 Posts

Profile of Stephen Young
I really like the concept of key bends. Ever since Flexion by Jon Allen.
The problem I have these days is with my hands.
Half the time I don't seem to have enough "oomph" to do the necessary.
And then the other half of the time the *** thing snaps.

Steve
ParaLabs - Thomas
View Profile
Special user
913 Posts

Profile of ParaLabs - Thomas
Quote:
On 2012-11-15 03:55, Stephen Young wrote:
Half the time I don't seem to have enough "oomph" to do the necessary.
And then the other half of the time the *** thing snaps.

Hi Steve,

unfortunately I don't have the time to write a more in-depth review at the moment (I will later), but what I can tell you is that Dr. Bill is aware of both potential issues, discusses them in his manuscript and more than this ... he offers neat and practical solutions - for both, the "oomph" and the "*** thing snapping" issue! Smile

Cheers
Th.
Stephen Young
View Profile
Inner circle
Thought Illusions
3933 Posts

Profile of Stephen Young
Well that's good enough for me.

Thank you Thomas

Steve
Steve Suss
View Profile
Inner circle
1193 Posts

Profile of Steve Suss
Quote:
On 2012-11-14 19:53, Bill Cushman wrote:
Thanks Chris! I'm glad you appreciate this so much.

The feedback has been superb and I've really only just started selling it due to the classic situation of a hard drive crash just as it was completed. And after that was resolved, my email stopped working for 2 days! But all is well now.

A couple of comments. Greg Arce contributed a fantastic idea that isn't mentioned in the ad. It allows for another phase to the ending that is amazing as it is simple. Typical Greg.

Banachek's contribution is a 3-step strategy that can be applied to ANY effect where you want to enhance the perception of physical sensations within the participant's hand. I am already receiving "worth the price of the book" feedback for this alone! Banachek hasn't widely shared this method so I'm very flattered he allowed me to do so in Dr. Bill's Bend.

Have people seen the special? If so what did you think?

I had recorded the show and put it on way past my bedtime. I promptly fell asleep then woke at the very moment Steve was beginning his performance of Dr. Bill's Bend! It was surreal to say the least. I wasn't sure I wasn't dreaming, LOL!
I saw the special as well as his show at the Waldorf. He is truly one of the best I've ever seen and I've seen many. If you haven't seen his show and want to see a great parlor act I highly recommend it. His rendition of the key bending was excellent as I would have expected. Great effect! Great performer!
Steve
dmoses
View Profile
Inner circle
2261 Posts

Profile of dmoses
I own the original routine from The Pendulum ebook... and I bought this anyway.
I have a feeling it'll be worth it.

d
"You're a comedian. You wanna do mankind a service, tell funnier jokes."
TPR by Dave Moses and Iain Dunford
T-shirts for Magicians and Mentalists
Mauricio Jaramillo
View Profile
Elite user
Colombia
413 Posts

Profile of Mauricio Jaramillo
I will just say this... Banachek's tip alone is worth the price of the book.
bahamagician
View Profile
Regular user
137 Posts

Profile of bahamagician
I had totally forgot to mention the Banacheck tip. Not only is it brilliant but it's applicable to more than just this routine!
matthewmello
View Profile
Special user
786 Posts

Profile of matthewmello
I'm a huge fan of Bill's thinking, and know I can always count on him for brilliant thoughts and suggestions. I often use Andrew Gerard's, Key Accessories--and love it--but I think I like this even more! The pendulum is something that every mentalist should be utilizing in their shows, and Bill's Bend makes excellent use of it as a visual representation of energy transference. Everything is so well thought out, and the bonus ideas from others really add to the value!

Awesome work, Bill!

Matt
John C
View Profile
Eternal Order
I THINK therefore I wrote
12968 Posts

Profile of John C
You will never pry key accessories from my fingers.
Bill Cushman
View Profile
Inner circle
Florida
2876 Posts

Profile of Bill Cushman
I love Key Accesory too. Until now, it was my go to bend and I'm sure I'll still perform it. No one is going to pry KA from your fingers, John (or mine). I'd just like to see you add DBB to your options!

Dr. Bill's Bend is very different (Andrew Gerard did chime in with a contribution by the way) via the utilization of the pendulum and other factors, including what amounts to a mini-course on pendulums and suggestion. Whereas KA is an effect, DBB is a routine and more.

I really appreciate everyone's kind words. The response has been overwhelming, with stories of succesful performances starting to trickle in.
Greg Arce
View Profile
Inner circle
6732 Posts

Profile of Greg Arce
As usual Dr. Bill takes a simple idea combined with another simple idea and creates a GIGANTIC idea. Just the fact that Steve Cohen decided to insert it into his shows speaks volumes about the worth of this idea.

I don't need to go on and on. It's Bill's idea... get it...enough said.

Greg
One of my favorite quotes: "A critic is a legless man who teaches running."
John C
View Profile
Eternal Order
I THINK therefore I wrote
12968 Posts

Profile of John C
OK, if Bruce Bernstien likes it I'll get it and I did.

Btw, if you haven't seen Bruce's Will Power you really need to get off the couch and take a look.
Bill Cushman
View Profile
Inner circle
Florida
2876 Posts

Profile of Bill Cushman
I just sent it to you John! Yes, Bruce was very generous in his comments and I recommend all of his products. He is one of the finest thinkers alive when it comes to mentalism.

Thank you Greg, both for your kind words and wonderful contribution! As I wrote you regarding the second routine that was too late for Dr. Bill's Bend, if enough other people send good ideas I'll put out a supplement ala Mirabil.

Matt, the comparison to Key Accessory is very flattering. Remember, you don't have to give up one for the other. They both can have their place in your repetoire.
saysold1
View Profile
Eternal Order
Recovering Cafe addict with only
10798 Posts

Profile of saysold1
Just bought it - like Steven I use Flexion often and love it. Can't wait to read some of the insights from everyone involved in the project.
Creator of The SvenPad Supreme(R) line of aerospace level quality, made in the USA utility props. https://svenpads.com/
IAIN
View Profile
Eternal Order
england
18807 Posts

Profile of IAIN
Finally finished reading it...and not only is is very elegant and simple, its also ruddy marvellous! the banachek and greg arce additions just add gold leaf guilding to an already beautiful moment...i salute you all!
I've asked to be banned
Dr Spektor
View Profile
Eternal Order
Carcanis
10781 Posts

Profile of Dr Spektor
Why this is amazing

Easily portable / pocket item
Scalable from individual to stage to tv to radio too
Involves as many people as you want
Really is mentalism core style
The nuances shared can be used for other effects beyond this one
Leaves a memento with people

Why I'm really happy: to really do it properly will require audience management, boldness and mentalism chops - so I doubt everyone will be doing it the exact same way

Also adaptable to things beyond keys - example of Chinese coin is but one - I went and found a suitable iron demon head (pazuzu style) I've been practicing on just in case I want to make it more bizarre forces

Yep excellent stuff

Last- wow greg arce came out to post again over this - now that is a testament to amazing
"They are lean and athirst!!!!"
Bill Cushman
View Profile
Inner circle
Florida
2876 Posts

Profile of Bill Cushman
Thanks guys! I liked your comment about no one having to perform Dr. Bill's Bend the same way, good doctor. That is one of its great assets and an excellent observation.

I just received news that Steve Cohen's TV special "Lost Magic Deocded" is being re-aired tuesday at 8am on History Channel. Yup AM! So set your DVRs if you missed it the first time around.

Dr. Bill's Bend comes in at 32 minutes. Steve does an incredible job from A - Z.
magicmonkeyphoto
View Profile
Regular user
151 Posts

Profile of magicmonkeyphoto
Dr. Bill seems to be addicted to pendulum effects. Lucky for us! This e-book has so many layers of brilliant subtlety that I can already feel it effecting how I am reworking routines that don't even use a pendulum. Of course I also will likely be adding the bend meets pendulum routine to my show as well.

Steve Cohen did a fantastic job with it on his TV special too.

Keep up the good work Dr Bill.

Lincoln
http://www.lincolnworld.com/products -- For high end mentalist utility devices, ideas, and props for professionals and serious hobbyists. You can follow me on Instagram @Lincolnworldmagic and on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/LincolnWorldWatchers
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Mentally Speaking » » Dr. Bill's Bend (1 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3~4 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.05 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL