The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » FOB by World Magic Shop (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..11~12~13~14 [Next]
RSteele
View Profile
New user
99 Posts

Profile of RSteele
LOoks like I'll have to get this to check it out! Thank you everyone for the comments/reviews/thoughts.
Xcath1
View Profile
Inner circle
3067 Posts

Profile of Xcath1
Still waiting on mine
Scott Horn
View Profile
Elite user
Dallas, TX
417 Posts

Profile of Scott Horn
Good News: I really like this item. I now have a key chain with Fob, Freakey, and Ignition. Ive been playing around with the handling and getting smooth with it. Great finale to an informal card set.

Not so good news: I was switching out the card (wanted to do red back instead of blue) and used some Goof Off (commerical) adhesive remover to clean out the old tape. Unfortunately, it turned the plastic cloudy white. My recommendation.... do NOT use any kind of thinner in the Fob, better to let the tape build up.

That said, I do love this gimmick and will buy another if I have to.

Dave.. will extra caps be available through other dealers, or only through WMS ?
MeHitDrum
View Profile
New user
Having too much fun to have more than
83 Posts

Profile of MeHitDrum
I've had FOB for about two weeks now and it's become a little scratched from the keys, etc. I don't hate that because it's a pretty natural looking object. However, I've had to "age" the switch cover to match the main one. Kind of a pain. That said, this is not really a big problem. Just something to be aware of prior to purchase. I can see it getting worse over time, so replacements may become an issue. I'm using now as my card to box ending, and am very satisfied.
DavidLeeMagic.com
"...but we're magicians, and enjoy lying" -James Brown
dp
View Profile
Veteran user
345 Posts

Profile of dp
Quote:
On 2013-01-08 22:54, Scott Horn wrote:
Good News: I really like this item. I now have a key chain with Fob, Freakey, and Ignition. Ive been playing around with the handling and getting smooth with it. Great finale to an informal card set.

That said, I do love this gimmick and will buy another if I have to.

Dave.. will extra caps be available through other dealers, or only through WMS ?

Hi Scott

If like me, you really enjoy having an act on your keychain have a look at Anima by Vernet magic. I was having a play around with this yesterday. I believe it to be a great gimmick that is disguised as a garage door remote.

The trailer is here in the World Magic Shop site but is available everywhere: http://www.worldmagicshop.com/Anima_by_M......nima.htm

WMS will have the extra covers on the site very very soon. Other dealers will have them about a week later. They are aiming for the middle of next week after returning from The Session Convention.

All the best

Dave
Close Up Magician & Illusionist - David Penn

Search The Wizard Product Review at http://www.worldmagicshop.com
dp
View Profile
Veteran user
345 Posts

Profile of dp
Quote:
On 2013-01-09 01:54, MeHitDrum wrote:
I've had FOB for about two weeks now and it's become a little scratched from the keys, etc. I don't hate that because it's a pretty natural looking object. However, I've had to "age" the switch cover to match the main one. Kind of a pain. That said, this is not really a big problem. Just something to be aware of prior to purchase. I can see it getting worse over time, so replacements may become an issue. I'm using now as my card to box ending, and am very satisfied.

I think you make a very important point here about the difference between the cover and the FOB gimmick over time. I always keep the cover in the same pocket as the gimmick so I have not had this become an issue. I can see how it could be if you don’t carry everything together prior to performance. I wish I had said that on the DVD so thank you very much for making a really valid observation.

Best of luck with your card to box ending and I am pleased to hear that FOB is enhancing that routine for you.

I have had quite a few PMs from people experimenting with shim cards and a magnet in the back pocket to strip out the dupe. This is something I will be trying myself. If that just made you think, feel free to give it a go. FOB seems to be ever evolving thanks to it being released to creative magicians such as yourselves.

All the very best for 2013

Dave

Steven Conner
View Profile
Inner circle
2720 Posts

Profile of Steven Conner
Quote:
On 2013-01-09 01:54, MeHitDrum wrote:

Keys, coins, etc are very hard on plastic. One thing you can use to help with scratches is toothpaste. It does wonders. Hopefully technology will improve for plastic.
"The New York Papers," Mark Twain once said,"have long known that no large question is ever really settled until I have been consulted; it is the way they feel about it, and they show it by always sending to me when they get uneasy. "
DelMagic
View Profile
Special user
721 Posts

Profile of DelMagic
I don't have this effect, nor have I tried these products. But for anyone inclined to give it a go with their FOB, time and money, these things may help restore it to like-new condition if it clouded and/or scratched up. You might be able to find similar products at a local supplier (Grainer, Art store, etc.) and save shipping costs. I'm just offering this as an idea that might be useful - or it could ruin your item. Buyer beware.

http://www.usplastic.com/catalog/item.aspx?itemid=24439
http://www.usplastic.com/catalog/item.aspx?itemid=24440
http://www.usplastic.com/catalog/item.aspx?itemid=24441
http://www.usplastic.com/catalog/item.aspx?itemid=24442
MaxfieldsMagic
View Profile
Inner circle
Instead of practicing, I made
3009 Posts

Profile of MaxfieldsMagic
This is a nice prop, and the effect is good, but it's also pretty much the exact same effect, method and mechanics as Cameron Francis's Fresh Mint. David Penn credits Alex DeCova and Jay Sankey for the MCF switch, and David Stone for a couple of handling ideas (from his Cell DVD), but unless I missed something, there is no mention of Francis on the DVD. And really there is no difference between Francis's effect and Penn's effect, other than the fact that one involves a clear plastic Tic Tac box and the other involves a clear plastic key chain fob.
Now appearing nightly in my basement.
dp
View Profile
Veteran user
345 Posts

Profile of dp
Quote:
On 2013-01-10 13:29, MaxfieldsMagic wrote:
This is a nice prop, and the effect is good, but it's also pretty much the exact same effect, method and mechanics as Cameron Francis's Fresh Mint. David Penn credits Alex DeCova and Jay Sankey for the MCF switch, and David Stone for a couple of handling ideas (from his Cell DVD), but unless I missed something, there is no mention of Francis on the DVD. And really there is no difference between Francis's effect and Penn's effect, other than the fact that one involves a clear plastic Tic Tac box and the other involves a clear plastic key chain fob.

Quote:
On 2012-11-26 15:42, Cameron Francis wrote:
So David just showed me this over Skype. Terrific. Very well designed. Lots of great handlings.

As odd as this sounds, I think I'm going to buy one. Yes, I will continue to use Fresh Mint. But I love the no-brainer portability of this. Put it on my key chain and I'm ready to go all the time without even thinking about it. So I'll probably use this as an everyday card to impossible location.

People have pointed out that Paperclipped is the same thing. Well, actually, it's not. I also use this reasoning with Fresh Mint. With FOB or Fresh Mint the card (or bill or whatever) is isolated inside of a container. While I love Paperclipped and still use it, I think having the card inside of an object and then openly removed is a little stronger. The moment of the sw**ch happens BEFORE there is any heat on the object. You are so far ahead it isn't even funny.

One other thing, I know everyone is excited about being able to show the other hand empty. And, indeed, that is possible with one of the handlings. But take it from a guy who's performed Fresh Mint countless times, the is NO HEAT on the other hand. I repeat, NO HEAT. Showing the other hand empty is superfluous.

Quote:
On 2012-11-26 16:03, Zombie Magic wrote:
Clearly, Cameron Francis is David Penn! I've never seen them in the same room together. What more evidence is needed?

RevJohn
View Profile
Inner circle
Oregon City Oregon, Oregon
2473 Posts

Profile of RevJohn
Is access to Latest and Greatest limited to those who have 50 posts or more?

I only ask because I was surprised to come and while looking to read a little bit about FOB, I found much about the actual workings of the effect.

Just seems odd that it would discussed here, and not secret sessions.

RevJohn
MikeTheKid
View Profile
Veteran user
vancouver
329 Posts

Profile of MikeTheKid
Great product overall !
---------------------------------------------

Magic is a performing art that entertains an audience by creating illusions of seemingly impossible....

www.mikeliumagic.com
dedikc
View Profile
Veteran user
France (Lyon)
340 Posts

Profile of dedikc
Hey,

this is our review with a routine, but in french.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CDoAW9Brths

Good night.
Cameron Francis
View Profile
V.I.P.
7025 Posts

Profile of Cameron Francis
Got mine a few days ago. Already have it on the key chain. Really nice!

Although I have to say, I won't be carrying the extra cover with me. Don't really see a need for it. Once the card is out, I'll just leave the cover off and pocket the keys or just put it back on when I walk away.

Instead, I'll save it as a replacement if and when the other breaks or scratches.
MOMENT'S NOTICE LIVE 3 - Six impromptu card tricks! Out now! http://cameronfrancismagic.com/moments-notice-live-3.html
dp
View Profile
Veteran user
345 Posts

Profile of dp
Hi Guys

WMS now have the covers available to purchase by themselves as an upgrade.

Here are the details:
http://www.worldmagicshop.com/ProductDet......OBCOVERS
One of the hottest items for 2012/2013 has just got better with the FOB Additional Cover Pack.
These additional covers give you the freedom to have your FOB Gimmick set up for multiple routines and revelations

Cheers

Dave

Click here to view attached image.

SUAREZ
View Profile
New user
16 Posts

Profile of SUAREZ
Quote:
On 2012-12-13 07:10, Merc Man wrote:
A lot of the pros and cons of this item have already been discussed - so my point is not about the product. Skip past if you want.

The matter I would like to raise is pricing; of this trick or any other trick.

Why do people get so obsessed with the cost of a trick?

People saying "this or that is too expensive". What does that mean exactly?

Does it mean that something is too expensive to treat yourself to, as it's just something that's going to be put in the drawer anyway?

It's too expensive because it doesn't look as if it's cost much to make, and is just a piece of plastic/card/whatever with a DVD?

Is it too expensive because of a £10/$20 price differential between any particular trick, and the other things that are sitting in your magic case and never used?

After all, at whatever apparently high price, you could buy yourself two things that you'll never use, rather than just the one maybe?

When I started performing magic seriously around 1980, I remember buying three routines from Joe Riding. His stand-up sponge ball routine, his cut & restored rope routine and his stand-up routine called Counting the Cards. Each pretty cheaply produced, photocopied slim booklet cost me £7.50 - total £22.50.

Thirty two years later, with inflation, you can add a nought onto that - so by today's standards, that's possibly £225.00. My question is, would any of you guys pay this amount of money for three commercial routines in cheap booklets? No props, no DVD's, no gimmicks - just photocopied, stapled booklets? Come to that, would you even pay £22.50 for them? Looking at some comments on here, I doubt that many would.

Now, here's the crux of the matter. I have been performing these three routines constantly for the past 32 years. I've used them in close-up and cabaret many, many times - hundreds of performances - often for some very good money. Three tricks that you can work anywhere, totally surrounded, no re-sets, totally visual and you can work them from your pockets at any time. The patter may have been updated to match current trends, but I perform these tricks exactly the same way as I have done since 1980; and as Joe Riding did for many years before that.

They were advertised as commercial, magic routines - hence their price tag. Joe didn't lie. They were sold to anyone BUT how many people do you think took the plunge and purchased them even back then? One 'name' certainly did - Billy McComb. He used Joe's stand-up sponge ball routine countless times in his performances - very often at The Magic Castle. Unfortunately, McComb released the routine under his own name in the early 90's - but that's another story. However, I'd bet others that also purchased Joe's routines probably still get value out of these booklets to this day.

- So my point is look beyond the props that you receive when making a purchase.

- Consider the VALUE of THE EFFECT NOT THE TOYS you receive to perform it.

- Consider if the trick fits your style. Any doubt, then leave it out!

- Can it be incorporated into your existing routine?

- Is it a better version of something that you already use? If it isn't, then why bother with it?

Sorry, gone off on a ramble - and not for the first time.

However, rather than consider if a trick is too highly priced, start considering the MORE IMPORTANT aspects associated with it. After all, this trick, or any trick, could be mass-produced, and sold for five quid/ten bucks via ToysRUs..........if that's really how some of you guys want this game to go.

Personally, I'd rather pay 500 quid for a sheet of paper - IF it contained a commercial, magic routine that met the above criteria.

Rant over - thanks for reading. Smile

A TV was expensive 30 years ago.... but are dirt cheap today...you cannot base the price of something on the basis of 30 years ago.
Also it was probably more difficult to source things 30 years ago.. today there are many magic dealers and they are all excessible due to the Internet
and all dealers are looking to get the top price for often cheap items, and rehashed tricks from the past updated for the modern day.

Magic is like football, You can be ripped off but you will keep coming back for more, because you want to believe.

I have been buying tricks now for 20 years and I can honestly say there are only a few I use.

The best magic I have is all based on manipulation, and this requires a lot of practice... so like most things you only get out, what you put in.
MR Effecto
View Profile
Inner circle
2835 Posts

Profile of MR Effecto
This effect is just sick. Love it. Very nice prop and D.V.D. This will kill for a ending to my A.B.C.R.

I was thinking about also using it for a dollar bill. Have them sign the bill, do a bill switch with a flash bill and there bill ending up in the fob. Loving it.
paisa23
View Profile
Inner circle
7293 Posts

Profile of paisa23
I want one!!!
ArtIn
View Profile
Inner circle
1702 Posts

Profile of ArtIn
Its really a great item but I see no need for additional covers at all here. maybe as a spare ok...
but to set it up for different ideas why would you need it?
a euro cent and a magnet in your back pocket = youre done.
I really regret that purchase (not FOB, its fantastic)
itsmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
middle earth
1117 Posts

Profile of itsmagic
Mr. Effecto, you may want to check out Joe Monti's handling with a bill and FOB. It's on WPR Blackpool edition part 1. Great routine. He also uses a cover to protect his FOB.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » FOB by World Magic Shop (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..11~12~13~14 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.1 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL