The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Gaffed & Funky » » Expanded Bicycle Card Box (3 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
dfeder
View Profile
Regular user
126 Posts

Profile of dfeder
I like to travel light and so I usually pack several gaffed cards in with my normal deck. Of course the problem is that the box becomes very tight and also limits me to only a few gaffs. Does anyone know (1) if an expanded box is sold and/or (2) if there is a way I can expand a box myself? I know I can purchase unfolded, flat boxes - but can they be expanded?

The reason I don't keep the gaffs separately is because I've gotten very good at switching in the gimmicks by going to and from my card box.

Thanks and may you all have a healthy, prosperous and peaceful New Year.

Dov Feder
motown
View Profile
Inner circle
Atlanta by way of Detroit
6135 Posts

Profile of motown
Have you thought about combining two boxes together to get your expanded box?
"If you ever write anything about me after I'm gone, I will come back and haunt you."
– Karl Germain
dfeder
View Profile
Regular user
126 Posts

Profile of dfeder
Thanks for the suggestion. I do still want the box to resemble a "normal" one. I was thinking of just clipping the sides or flaps to expand the box. But it just doesn't look right to me.
motown
View Profile
Inner circle
6135 Posts

Profile of motown
If you do it right, it should for the most part still look like a normal box. The big difference is that it will have two side seams instead of one. How many extra card are you trying to get the box to accommodate?
"If you ever write anything about me after I'm gone, I will come back and haunt you."
– Karl Germain
Troels
View Profile
Loyal user
Denmark
205 Posts

Profile of Troels
If you have some skills with graphic software it is not very complicated to unfold a cardbox, scan it and stretch the sides and ends to your desired dimensions with your software. Then print on heavy paper and fold and glue. An increasement of just 2 mm in thickness would leave space for several gaffs and be barely noticable. I have once altered the dimensions of a case for mini cards (for Tommy Wonder's Squeeze). It worked perfect.

Troels
dfeder
View Profile
Regular user
126 Posts

Profile of dfeder
That's a great idea and I've been playing with it for quite a while. However, I can never get the colors right. I'm using the latest version of photoshop with a HP all in one desk jet printer but I guess I lack the technology to fine tune the output. But you are right, that is the best solution I've come up with so far.
dfeder
View Profile
Regular user
126 Posts

Profile of dfeder
Troels,

I assume you use photoshop as well. If so, can you please share your print setup wit me? Do you let photoshop control the printing or the printer? What is the best resolution to scan at and print? Any other thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
TeslaTao
View Profile
New user
65 Posts

Profile of TeslaTao
Quote:
On 2012-12-03 08:29, dfeder wrote:
Troels,

I assume you use photoshop as well. If so, can you please share your print setup wit me? Do you let photoshop control the printing or the printer? What is the best resolution to scan at and print? Any other thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

You should be scanning at least at 300 dpi. If you really want to get the colors right, some of the threads on marking your deck list the panatone colors used on bikes. You can use panatone colors in photoshop and then have a professional print off a few, though that might be more time and expense than you want to put into it.
dfeder
View Profile
Regular user
126 Posts

Profile of dfeder
I would be great. I'll do a search for Pantone colors and deck marking. However, if I can't find the thread you're talking about I may come back and ask for a reference to it. I really do appreciate you taking the time to get back to me. I'll let you know how things go
Rudy
View Profile
Veteran user
Maryland
360 Posts

Profile of Rudy
Making Custom Card Boxes

http://www.ee0r.com/boxes/

Make your own custom card box size.

This prints on blank card stock, no brand name, just a white box but you can make any size you want.

Hope this is of some help.
dfeder
View Profile
Regular user
126 Posts

Profile of dfeder
RUDY! RUDY! RUDY! I've never known anyone named Rudy before and I always wanted to do that. Thank you for the link! That will be a great! teaching to. I can use that and work from there. Thanks again.

Dov
Rudy
View Profile
Veteran user
Maryland
360 Posts

Profile of Rudy
Dfeder

Have fun making card boxes!

R
motown
View Profile
Inner circle
6135 Posts

Profile of motown
You'll never be able to match the colors exactly, especially with an ink jet printer. The other problem is finding and printing on a heavy enough stock.
– Karl Germain
dfeder
View Profile
Regular user
126 Posts

Profile of dfeder
I'm going to try glossy index card stock. I'll post my results. Want to thank you all for your responses.
Poof-Daddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Considering Stopping At Exactly
5313 Posts

Profile of Poof-Daddy
Cancer Sux - It is time to find a Cure

Don't spend so much time trying not to die that you forget how to live - H's wife to H on CSI Miami (paraphrased).

Smile Smile
motown
View Profile
Inner circle
6135 Posts

Profile of motown
Penguin's price is crazy.
– Karl Germain
Poof-Daddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Considering Stopping At Exactly
5313 Posts

Profile of Poof-Daddy
The China site is $0.36 but I wonder what shipping is? I emailed them for a shipping quote for a dozen of ea to Ohio. let you all know when I hear back - or if I hear back.
Cancer Sux - It is time to find a Cure

Don't spend so much time trying not to die that you forget how to live - H's wife to H on CSI Miami (paraphrased).

Smile Smile
dfeder
View Profile
Regular user
126 Posts

Profile of dfeder
This is great stuff. Thank you all for your thoughts and ideas
motown
View Profile
Inner circle
6135 Posts

Profile of motown
Have you considered using heat to stretch the box?
– Karl Germain
dfeder
View Profile
Regular user
126 Posts

Profile of dfeder
I never even thought of using heat. I didn't think cardboard stretched unless you are thinking the heat will loosen the glue so the box can be pulled apart slightly. That's worth trying. Thank you.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Gaffed & Funky » » Expanded Bicycle Card Box (3 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL