The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The Good News! » » Christmas Ideas for Chapel (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

magicman812
View Profile
Regular user
113 Posts

Profile of magicman812
Hello everyone. Does anyone have any ideas for a Christmas message that could be used for a chapel service at a Christian elementary school? (grades 1-5) Would like to use some type of routine(s) to demonstrate the true meaning of Christmas. Thanks so much for your help.

Blessings,
Andy
Danny Kazam
View Profile
Inner circle
1465 Posts

Profile of Danny Kazam
The story of Jesus's birth, and why God sent his only begotten son would be a great message, but are you looking for a routine to help illustrate the story, or just a message?
Keep your dreams alive. Understand to achieve anything requires faith and belief in yourself, vision, hard work, determination, and dedication. Remember all things are possible for those who believe.
magicman812
View Profile
Regular user
113 Posts

Profile of magicman812
Thanks Danny. Yes, I certainly will be sharing the story of The birth of Jesus and why God sent him to earth. However, I was just wanting some ideas for a magical routine that might illustrate the reason for the season. Thanks so much!
Andy
Danny Kazam
View Profile
Inner circle
1465 Posts

Profile of Danny Kazam
I've been trying to think of a magic illustration for the Christmas story, but I am at a loss. I am hoping some of the more knowledgeable will soon jump in with some idea's. Usually the guys here are great at suggesting idea's.
Keep your dreams alive. Understand to achieve anything requires faith and belief in yourself, vision, hard work, determination, and dedication. Remember all things are possible for those who believe.
harris
View Profile
Inner circle
Harris Deutsch
8657 Posts

Profile of harris
I have been using Ali Bongo's square to cross during the Christmas and other times for Gospel presentation.

Think of a two dimensional trouble wit.
Harris Deutsch aka dr laugh
drlaugh4u@gmail.com
music, magic and marvelous toys
http://magician.org/member/drlaugh4u
Mike Maturen
View Profile
Inner circle
Michigan's Beautiful Sunrise Side
2697 Posts

Profile of Mike Maturen
In the past, in a pinch, I have used a change bag along with a bright white men's handkerchief, and a white men's handkerchief that I smudged up with ashes, coal, whatever...in fact, I think I may have even used a match to make burn marks on it. I also use a red silk.

The routine was basically telling the reason for Christ's birth (our redemption). I would place the dirty hanky in the change bag, talking about sin, and our need for redemption (our souls are dirty, in need of cleansing). I would then talk a bit about Jesus and his shedding of blood (red silk) for the cleansing of our souls. After placing the red silk in the change bag, I would produce the clean and restored whit hanky to illustrate our salvation from sin.

The story can be adapted to Easter, or even just a general message about salvation.

I have also used the Comedy Card in Balloon prop to illustrate the same story. The three balloons were white, black and red. If you have the prop, you know the drill. The card that I forced was always a King (usually the King of Hearts for its obvious ties to Jesus!). In the black balloon, I told the story of sin and then that balloon flew away. In the white balloon, I told about man trying to get to heaven on his own...then that balloon deflated. On the red balloon, I told of the blood of Jesus...and POP! The King of Hearts appears in that balloon.

Anyway...just my thoughts.
Mike Maturen
World of Wonder Entertainment
The Magic and Mayhem of Mike Maturen
989-335-1661
mikematuren@gmail.com

AUTHOR OF "A NEW DAWN--Weekly Wisdom From Everyday Life"

member: International Magician's Society
themagiciansapprentice
View Profile
Inner circle
Essex, UK
1381 Posts

Profile of themagiciansapprentice
I'm mainly doing shows for under-5s at the moment (UK pre-schools and nurseries)

(1) Christmas story bag - wrapping paper, brown = Jesus birth in a stable, green = grew into a man, red = love shown to every-one; gold = Heaven. I'm using a dog puppet with the whispering technique to tell the story.

If older kids are there as well

(2) Duane Laflin's Reason for the season - Magician's Force using 4 envelopes - one each with Santa, presents, Christmas Tree and Nativity. Unveil and talk about each as the reason for the season?? Then finally unveil Nativity. (I have adapted this idea now to sue Wonder Imagery's Lucky 7 envelopes - so no force is needed.)

Both Duane Laflin and David Ginn have lead Christian workshops about Christmas and released lecture notes that are full of ideas (enough for a dozen different shows!!) It's also worth checking out Duane's Grand Magic Magazine which has Christmas tricks in it.
Have wand will travel! Performing children's magic in the UK for Winter 2014 and Spring 2015.
Mike Maturen
View Profile
Inner circle
2697 Posts

Profile of Mike Maturen
I'll second the notion about Grand Magic. I subscribed yesterday and have read through the entire issue.

I plan to adapt at least one of the ideas found in the issue to a show I am doing next weekend.

It's only $30 to subscribe for a year, and the issues are available via download.
Mike Maturen
989-335-1661
mikematuren@gmail.com

Danny Kazam
View Profile
Inner circle
1465 Posts

Profile of Danny Kazam
Where? Can you provide link? This is very interresting. Thanks.
Mike Maturen
View Profile
Inner circle
2697 Posts

Profile of Mike Maturen
Go to this link, register as a member (if you aren't already) then click on the link for the magazine to subscribe.

http://www.Laflinmagicstore.com
Mike Maturen
989-335-1661
mikematuren@gmail.com

guyactor
View Profile
Veteran user
355 Posts

Profile of guyactor
Quote:
On 2012-12-05 09:27, magicman812 wrote:
Hello everyone. Does anyone have any ideas for a Christmas message that could be used for a chapel service at a Christian elementary school? (grades 1-5) Would like to use some type of routine(s) to demonstrate the true meaning of Christmas.

Hi MMan. Would you like a graphic presentation that explains what happened at Christmas or the 'reason' Jesus was born at Christmas. These are two separate incidences, but are easily combined into the same message, purposely nor not.

For the reason why Jesus was born, the "Cross Trick" by Mike Bliss is unsurpassed. I use this all the time for young and older kids. BUT, it is the salvation message of what Jesus does on the cross. I would use it to punctuate the 'reason' why he
was born, after the teaching of 'what happened' at Christmas. It's tough to separate the two, sometimes.

Feel free to PM if you'd like any more info.
Russo
View Profile
Elite user
455 Posts

Profile of Russo
I'm working on an GIFT idea - using the arrow/compus Card - it is doubled so you can open it with a message at the end of the routine- outside (back & front) is decorated to look like a Gift with ribbon and a bow where the arrow point is - after doin the routine of receiving a special gift (from all angles ) open the card to reveal(sp?) and say "the greatest Gift was JESUS or GOD or FORGIVENESS. Christmass Blessings to ALL Brothers and Sisters in Illusion (were NOT Magicians_Ha Ha ) (:-)) RALPH anyone-everyone?? tellme what you think (on Private message so I wont have to scroll down down down) THANK YOU ALL.
BillyTheSquid
View Profile
Veteran user
My bamboo hut's supported on
331 Posts

Profile of BillyTheSquid
MagicMan - Some excellent ideas above. I think bringing the cross in at Christmas may be a bit out of place - Jesus didn't come just to die, but to live and show us how to live. The cross (and don't forget the resurrection too, otherwise you've just a dead Jew on a cross (and there were many of them during various insurrections)) isn't the only reason why he became incarnate. But then that's getting all theological here lol.

John 3:16 is a good start - something about love for his creation perhaps? A love heart appearing from out of nowhere. A gift for someone which changes in their own hands - the real gift of Jesus is more than what we first imagine it to be. Jesus came to bring us life in all its fullness - so perhaps something which was plain white becoming multicoloured? Something torn / broken and restored perhaps?

Blessings,
Matt

(Oh and the real reason for the season is the earth's axial tilt of 23.5° - but then I'm a physicist Smile)
Joeni
View Profile
New user
Black Forest Area, Germany
18 Posts

Profile of Joeni
Quote:
Both Duane Laflin and David Ginn have lead Christian workshops about Christmas and released lecture notes that are full of ideas (enough for a dozen different shows!!) It's also worth checking out Duane's Grand Magic Magazine which has Christmas tricks in it.

Are these notes somewhere online?
tbaer
View Profile
Inner circle
Pennsylvania
1846 Posts

Profile of tbaer
Joeni,

About 1-2 years ago Duane ended the Grand Magic Magazine, but I'm sure if you emailed him he probably could send you archived files for a minimal amount.

Tom
torben
View Profile
New user
34 Posts

Profile of torben
Joeni,
You can buy and download Duane Laflins excellent Grand Magic Magazines at LaflinMagicStore: https://www.laflinmagicstore.com/SearchR......magazine

Torben
Donald Dunphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Victoria, BC, Canada
7191 Posts

Profile of Donald Dunphy
Duane Laflin's "Christmas Magic" book is available as an e-book now. I purchased the print version a few years ago.

https://www.laflinmagicstore.com/product-p/chmd.htm

---

Also note, last December (2016), David Ginn was clearing out his remaining copies of his lecture notes, "Christmas Magic Workbook". These are the lecture notes that I contributed to a few years earlier (I think that his "Christmas Magic Workshop" lecture tour was in 2006). The lecture notes were listed in his Autumn's Leaflet for December 2016, but not on his website. He may or may not have any copies left, because he was clearing them out at a sale price. Best to send him an email and ask.

http://www.ginnmagic.com/

Note - his newsletter archives don't appear to be up to date on his website. He's had newsletters since 2014. He shares links to them on Facebook, etc.

- Donald
Donald Dunphy is a Victoria Magician, British Columbia, Canada.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The Good News! » » Christmas Ideas for Chapel (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2017 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.17 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL