The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Glance by Steve Thompson and Vanishing Inc (9 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5..17~18~19 [Next]
smacks183
View Profile
Loyal user
245 Posts

Profile of smacks183
Got it today. Overall, very pleased. I'll start with a negative that was raised by gmindmagic. The Newsweek cover I used was significantly shorter. Also, not sure if it was just because it was my first time, but changing the cover was somewhat difficult and I, unfortunately, ended up creating larger staple holes than normal. I actually ended up cutting and pasting a cover onto the cover that was supplied and it looks very good and much less time consuming.

I did the girlfriend test and she really, really liked it. The cover issue is the only real negative in my mind. I am happy with the layout, quality, etc. Definitely recommended.
Zombie Magic
View Profile
Inner circle
I went out for a beer and now have
8733 Posts

Profile of Zombie Magic
Quote:
On 2012-12-14 17:07, gmindmagic wrote:
Well I actually hate to give reviews and feel sometimes the guys who do get persecuted for giving their opinion. Remember I am looking at this from a mentalist perspective, not just performing a trick. I use and love MOABT and the thinking behind the Long W*** principal. I tried another magazine test out recently using the same principal and did not like the production value of that one. Now Glance...they do look like magazines. (However the layout to me and remember this is my opinion is not realistic).

I tried Time and Newsweek covers they do come up about 1/4 inch short from fitting correctly.(this bugs me) I also tried Business Week, the same. But what bothers me the most is there are only 8 words so the repetition of the words appear to close together on the same page. With MOABT the words appear in rotation pages apart. There are also some typos, such as word spacing etc.

Now remember I just received this and my hopes were high, my goal was to pack a smaller even more organic show. This is workable, and maybe it's just the perfectionist in me. Remember your not really giving the spectator time to examine the magazine, and you should have the ability to manage the spectator.

Well these are my thoughts and just my opinions. I know Ted K. gave his blessing to this product, however I wonder if he was consulted in the production.

Thanks for your thoughts. Please don't let anyone out you off from having an opinion on what YOU paid for.
sbays
View Profile
Inner circle
Burbank, CA
1065 Posts

Profile of sbays
I got mine today. Very nice packaging. I think these look great as is without worrying about changing the covers. All in all, I'm very happy with this product, especially for the price. My two "wish they would have done it better" issues are

1. As mentioned above, I wish there was a better word selection so we don't run the risk of someone spotting the same word repeated so closely together. When I initially looked through these, prior to even knowing what the word list was, I saw multiple repeated words writhing just a few seconds. Yes, spectator management will be a factor here.

2. My other preference would have been that the words be things that are nouns. I think it plays better when it's something they can imagine seeing, touching etc. just my opinion.

I do like these though. But there is definitely room for improvement here. But still a very good product.

I still like Kranzos Tru Test. I'll probably throw that page into one of these to offer some variety as well.
"Opportunity may only knock once, but temptation leans on the doorbell."
Olympic Adam
View Profile
Inner circle
1259 Posts

Profile of Olympic Adam
It's not like memory should be an issue for more words and them being nouns, you can memorise tru-test in no time - looking forward to getting these
Protection for mind readers and mentalists: http://tricksofthemind.com
saysold1
View Profile
Eternal Order
Recovering Cafe addict with only
10798 Posts

Profile of saysold1
This info may be helpful - restapling of old comic books is a common restoration practice:

http://www.ehow.com/how_8299441_replace-......ook.html

http://www.amazon.com/Sparco-Products-St......01B0GWKU
Creator of The SvenPad Supreme(R) line of aerospace level quality, made in the USA utility props. https://svenpads.com/
saysold1
View Profile
Eternal Order
10798 Posts

Profile of saysold1
Also (even easier)...

I just called my local FedEx Office store (Kinkos) and they said that they have the capability to cleanly staple magazines in store - either self service or at a small cost. They said that they commonly do ths type of stapling for booklet binding, and most stores have this capability.

So I am heading to FedEx office today and will see how cleanly the staples are inserted with the new cover.

As I said, the recent "Economist" Magazine is 100% perfect size wise with the Glance magazines supplied.

In addition, I am also going to insert one "pull out" subscription ads from the real Economist mag and put it in between a few deep center pages just as they would be in a regular magazine. I think this will add to the realism big time.

***Also, I want to see if the FedEx people have the ability to cleanly cut (trim) the Time or Newsweek magazine covers down on the two sides so that the fit may be better with the Glance magazines - I haveno idea but will report back.

Doing the staple job yourself by re-inserting the *old* ones with a new cover will be a nightmare that I don't recommend trying imo.
Creator of The SvenPad Supreme(R) line of aerospace level quality, made in the USA utility props. https://svenpads.com/
saysold1
View Profile
Eternal Order
10798 Posts

Profile of saysold1
Anyone thinking of replacing the Galce covers with current ones would be very wise to go to you local Fed/Ex office store.

I asked the guy behind the counter of he could staple my Glance magazine with the Economist magazine cover in the middle areas for me so they would look clean and professional.. "Here," he said, handing me one of his long reach staplers.

He did the first staple in about 2 seconds - PERFECTLY alligned, perfectly inserted, identical to the oroginal. I then did the other two staples - no charge, just beuatiful - nio fuss, no muss.

The TIME Magazine cover attempt (as others have said) is more of a hassle but it is do-able.

1. Take out staples from your glance magazine - I use the flat udge of a knife, then cleanly pull out from the back.

2. Take stapes out of a Time or Newsweek magazine

3. Use the rotary trimmer cutter at the Fed/Ex store (also free to use - god bless them). Take the first the INNER pages of the glance magazine, fold over, and then trim approx 1/4' off the top (short side), and another 1/4" off the long side. When done open and lay out. Then proceed to take the next inner pages, and do the same. When done put those pages BEHIND the last three. Continue for all pages (take about 5-10 min), then put all together and do your stapling. This magazine won't look quite as perfect as the Economist edition, but is will fit and will be quite nice and passable - at least mine is.

I will gice some impressions of Glance next week - I will say that the decription is a teeny bit misleading in that it says "You present the current issues of two popular magazine." Well yes, you can keep changing the covers but there is a slight hassle factor and frankly I don't think anyone would care if the issues are 6 months or a year old as long as they are popular magazines. After changing the covers, who cares if they are last weeks editions - and honestly does it make Glance any more powerful? I doubt it.
Steve Suss
View Profile
Inner circle
1193 Posts

Profile of Steve Suss
I perform an effect with magazines that are over 10 years old and no one has ever said anything. It's a stage effect and the audience doesn't suspect anything.
sbays
View Profile
Inner circle
Burbank, CA
1065 Posts

Profile of sbays
I'll add to my last post, there is a built in covert way of getting the chosen word that I think Is really awesome. You never ask what the first letter is, but you will still get it through a covert process. It's awesome. I like this even more now since my last post.

But still would have preferred nouns.
BatsMagic
View Profile
Inner circle
New York
1052 Posts

Profile of BatsMagic
So, sbays- is the built in, covert way of getting the word explained in the instructions, or can I PM you with some sort of proof of purchase to get that info from you after I get mine? Thanks in advance!
Joshua Jay
View Profile
V.I.P.
196 Posts

Profile of Joshua Jay
Hi All,

I'm very excited to see the positive feedback GLANCE is receiving. And, I'm indebted to saysold1 for the tip about FedEx. There is one around the corner from me, so I will try that.

A couple more clarifications that I think are in order.

1. I have had a lot of success with replacing the covers this way: you take the staples out one by one and install the new cover, but put them in BACKWARDS. NOBODY notices that the pins are on the outside and the smooth side is on the inside...but this way allows you to change the covers the next time by simply prying open the staples and removing JUST THE COVER. This you can do with very little concentration and in under a minute, rather than trying to thread every page again each time.

2. About force words. You know, the magazine was simply not designed to be scrutinized for minutes on end AFTER the trick. Instead, it is meant to pass a casual inspection AS they find their words. I think the same is true of most great book tests. Having 25 force words is fine, but it's a LOT more thinking and memorization that you have to do on the spot, and a lot more prep work you have to do to prepare. Or, you have to carry a crib with you. Eight force words is, to me, wonderful. We give you the mnemonic HUGETIPS (thanks Raj Madhok) to help you remember the eight words, and you can commit them to memory very quickly. I think the text Steve wrote is sensational, given the constraints. Someone can start reading anywhere on any page and it will make sense for a sentence or two.

The big tip here is also covered in the instructions, which is to be VERY CLEAR that they can examine the magazines thoroughly, but then to simply continue with the action of the trick. "...and when you're ready think of ANY word on ANY page..." People want to get on with the show, so giving them an active instruction minimizes the chances someone will comb over every page for several minutes.

3. Regarding the "other" way to pump for the word, that sbays points out, I also am very, very fond of this. It's a way (thoroughly covered in the instructions) that you can pump for the word without EVER asking anything about it. Let's just say that there is a built in indicator "near" the word, and the spectator innocently gives you this information, which then tells you the target word.

4. Cover. Total non-issue for me. The fact is that the trim size of major magazines does vary by as much as half an inch, so there is no magic bullet to make it match them all. But as a subscriber to TIME, I know that they sometimes make the cover an inside fold-out ad, which renders the cover about a quarter inch shorter than the rest of the magazine (and then you open it up to a car ad or something usually). So to me, it looks absolutely fine. And, I can tell you we've been field testing it with TIME on the cover and nobody EVER notices or says anything about this. And if it really does bother you, there are many, many local and national magazines that fit both sizes. Or, you can simply use the provided mock-covers, which Andi designed to look like generic business magazines.

Anyway, glad they are starting to arrive and be incorporated into your shows. I have certainly learned a couple tips from this thread, so let's keep it going!

Josh
sbays
View Profile
Inner circle
Burbank, CA
1065 Posts

Profile of sbays
Yes, as Josh mentions just now, it is. covered in the instructions, and it is killer. So sorry it's not my place to explain it in a pm, but it will be fully explained when you buy it. I love it. It's so very clever.

This is definitely a quality product that I will use. The packaging, the price, the awesome customer service and shipping, and this very clever effect, this is a winner.

Well done Vanishing Inc.
lumberjohn
View Profile
Special user
Memphis, TN
626 Posts

Profile of lumberjohn
I've received this now and it is indeed a great product. I, too, was initially disappointed there were not more f**** words, but after looking through the entire magazine, I seriously doubt this will be a problem. Reading a few sentences from any point shouldn't tip anyone off, and there is no reason for your spectators to be doing a more thorough inspection. And this approach yields a nice bonus to those that own Greg Rostami's Iforce or something similar. After the spectator has chosen their word, write your divination on your IPhone and set it down. Announce that before you reveal it, you picked up some fuzzy mental images from a nearby word as well and want to give that a shot too. Those of you that own both will know where to go from there.
ThoughtThief
View Profile
Regular user
183 Posts

Profile of ThoughtThief
Quote:
On 2012-12-16 09:45, lumberjohn wrote:
I've received this now and it is indeed a great product. I, too, was initially disappointed there were not more f**** words, but after looking through the entire magazine, I seriously doubt this will be a problem. Reading a few sentences from any point shouldn't tip anyone off, and there is no reason for your spectators to be doing a more thorough inspection. And this approach yields a nice bonus to those that own Greg Rostami's Iforce or something similar. After the spectator has chosen their word, write your divination on your IPhone and set it down. Announce that before you reveal it, you picked up some fuzzy mental images from a nearby word as well and want to give that a shot too. Those of you that own both will know where to go from there.

Very good, lumberjohn!

Just a thought,

TT
mind monger
View Profile
New user
Nottingham, England
86 Posts

Profile of mind monger
Anyone have any suggestions for good English magazines this will work with at all in terms of size and fitting etc?

Have my 1st ever show in April and this looks like something that could really serve me well Smile

Tim
saysold1
View Profile
Eternal Order
10798 Posts

Profile of saysold1
English meaning... Great Britain magazines yes?

By the way, I am LOVING Glance - really agree that this is the first and only magazine test that meets so many criteria with a bullseye.

Easy to use. Multiple pump methods. Very well disguised pump. Easy to change cover (if you use the long stapler with fresh staples I suggested rather than than trying to pull your hair out inserting old staples back in). Good word choice. Easy mnemonic to help remember F words. Well written articles in ther magazines read normally and don't look suspicious on first GLANCE.

This is a HOME RUN Josh and Steve and Vanishing inc. I will be using this right away without a doubt.

My first and only mag test that meets all the criteria.
mind monger
View Profile
New user
Nottingham, England
86 Posts

Profile of mind monger
Sorry yes I mean Great Britain Smile

Tim
M Sini
View Profile
Inner circle
1359 Posts

Profile of M Sini
Quote:
On 2012-12-16 12:05, saysold1 wrote:
Easy mnemonic to help remember F words.

Sweet, I love the F word!
saysold1
View Profile
Eternal Order
10798 Posts

Profile of saysold1
Ahem...

Did Glance 3 times today - once to a mentalist friend and also a few muggles.

Killed every time

F ya... Love Glance.

Clean as anything.Fair as can be.

One could also do a reveal using an in**x system or wallet as a kicker.
Glance has earned my vote as one of the best things I've bought in 2012 - very fair price for this too.
Jamie D
View Profile
Inner circle
Ontario, Canada
2292 Posts

Profile of Jamie D
Can't wait to receive this as it seems very promising. One good thing about only have 8 wo**s is that it would be simple to reveal as a prediction, not to mention the mags can be "bought" from the store.

Darren
Twitter @darjames
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Glance by Steve Thompson and Vanishing Inc (9 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5..17~18~19 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.05 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL