The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » FAX by Loki Kross (388 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..8~9~10~11~12..20~21~22 [Next]
jimesw
View Profile
Special user
675 Posts

Profile of jimesw
Quote:
On 2012-12-31 15:22, Acar wrote:
We work hard at Penguin to post all reviews that follow our guidelines -- good or bad.

Our goal is for the reviews to help guide you to the products you'll be happy with, not to sell every single product on our site to you. In that sense we love constructive negative reviews as much as positive ones. I hope you've seen that throughout our site.

jimesw, if you PM me your username and the product you reviewed, I can tell you exactly why it was not posted (or if it was posted!) -- sometimes new reviews don't appear in the first 10 shown.

Thanks for replying Acar. It's fine, I trust you. I must have not followed the guidelines properly.

Cheers
catweazle
View Profile
Special user
924 Posts

Profile of catweazle
Really like this, glad I bought it. I think the TnR idea is pretty cool - you could follow it with a short ACR using the restored card, then use the nice idea on the dvd of drawing a magic symbol for the spec and giving them your powers to finish the routine (with just a little bit more of a set up Smile )
lokikross
View Profile
Special user
An Undying Heart of Chaos; Stabbed with
719 Posts

Profile of lokikross
Nice idea catweazle!
That would definitely fly!

I am thrilled to see magicians starting to utilize this to make new routines Smile
That is a great honor.

Looking forward to more ideas with this!

I once performed a "broken and restored plate" with this, LoL.
I didn't have any cards on myself and I wanted to show "Time-Travel". Forgive me! Haha!
MaxfieldsMagic
View Profile
Inner circle
Instead of practicing, I made
3009 Posts

Profile of MaxfieldsMagic
MWI is a genius effect! Seriously, it's worth the price of the DVD and then some. And it's do-able, with practice. Awesome, awesome effect using the Fax principle. It's probably the only effect on the DVD that I'll perform, but it's a great one.
Now appearing nightly in my basement.
Mondeaux
View Profile
New user
15 Posts

Profile of Mondeaux
I for sure will be performing this after practicing the method for a few weeks. I agree this is well worth the price!
Mondeaux
View Profile
New user
15 Posts

Profile of Mondeaux
I for sure will be performing this after practicing the method for a few weeks. I agree this is well worth the price!
Don Dasher
View Profile
Special user
535 Posts

Profile of Don Dasher
This one was easy for me to figure out from the demo. If the signing process was shown in the demo it wouldn't be nearly as appealing to many here.

I'm not saying the demo is deceptive, they just left out the part that would keep you from buying it.

:)

DD
Joe Roberts
View Profile
Special user
863 Posts

Profile of Joe Roberts
Quote:
On 2013-01-05 06:08, Don Dasher wrote:
This one was easy for me to figure out from the demo. If the signing process was shown in the demo it wouldn't be nearly as appealing to many here.

I'm not saying the demo is deceptive, they just left out the part that would keep you from buying it.

Cameron Francis
View Profile
V.I.P.
7025 Posts

Profile of Cameron Francis
Don, you don't know how this is done. Well, you might guess part of it but not the real work.
MOMENT'S NOTICE LIVE 3 - Six impromptu card tricks! Out now! http://cameronfrancismagic.com/moments-notice-live-3.html
Don Dasher
View Profile
Special user
535 Posts

Profile of Don Dasher
Thanks, I only wish I would have chimed in earlier. It didn't seem interesting enough to watch the whole demo. I finally watched it and It is a very interesting concept. A close look at the card, the content and placement of the signature tipped the method.

I'm not sure that everyone will be able to perform this effectively, even with practice. I could do it. But I can draw.

DD
Don Dasher
View Profile
Special user
535 Posts

Profile of Don Dasher
Quote:
On 2013-01-05 10:10, Cameron Francis wrote:
Don, you don't know how this is done. Well, you might guess part of it but not the real work.

Why challenge me?

Without going into too much detail:

The spec writes their sig in the assigned spot, the magi takes it and writes the date. Also does the dirty work.

The sig is near the end of the card so when it's put partially into the deck it's hidden, keeping them from seeing the fake while it's in their hands. As you see in the demo. They only get a flash of it as they pull it out and turn it face down.

The spec is left with the dirty work in their hand at the end. No way for me to know how you clean that up if that's the real work you're referring to.

You are correct, I can't be 100% certain because I don't have the trick. How far does Latest & Greatest allow me to speculate? I'm pretty sure I figured out every single detail from the demo, I'm only telling you what I see.

The card only has to be slid up a short distance to do the dirty work because the date on the dupe of course is pre-written. It's a really nice idea. I will be eager to see how people who have difficulty freehand drawing get on with it.

DD
Joe Roberts
View Profile
Special user
863 Posts

Profile of Joe Roberts
I think Cameron's point was that you may understand the basic methodology but there is quite a bit more going on with this than just that. Surely you're not applauding yourself for figuring out how a trick is done from the demo, right? I mean, so what. I think most of us here can figure out most tricks from the demo. I kind of thought that went without saying (That's why when people say, "I have no idea what's going on here" it's interesting, because that's the exception.) Please, let's not make announcing the fact you figured out a trick from the demo something we start doing here.
saysold1
View Profile
Eternal Order
Recovering Cafe addict with only
10798 Posts

Profile of saysold1
Just chiming in that the "dirty work" is not as relevant as the TECHNIQUES taught by Loki.

Many effects depewnd on methods. This one is technique and simply knowing or guessing the method is only a small part of the whole story.

My understanding is that the techniques used here are not from the magic world - but sourced more perhaps from another place not accessible to most performers.

As an analogy, we all know what a locksmith does.

However, few laymen can do what they actually know how to do...
Creator of The SvenPad Supreme(R) line of aerospace level quality, made in the USA utility props. https://svenpads.com/
Don Dasher
View Profile
Special user
535 Posts

Profile of Don Dasher
Latest & Greatest is for speculation on demos and sales hype. I didn't offer up any details until I was told I don't know the details.

This is a simple but clever trick and the demo has tells that give you all the details.

No big deal guys. I don't need approval, I was pointing out that the demo leaves out the part that would clue most here into the method.

If there are techniques used that are not of this world they are not necessary to produce the effect exactly as shown on the video. Smile

DD
Jamie Ferguson
View Profile
Inner circle
Alba Gu Bràth
3640 Posts

Profile of Jamie Ferguson
The approach for Fax reminds me of the Casanova concept, not that the methods or effects are identical, but that they are clever concepts in terms of writing on cards that are unlikely to be used by the majority of people that buy them.

Shame really.
When the chips are down, the duvet is uncomfortable.
Don Dasher
View Profile
Special user
535 Posts

Profile of Don Dasher
I just did this for my wife she was fooled.

A lot of the work comes naturally. Of course I can only speak for my version which is purely speculative, but the position of the real signature during the dirty work is so perfect it makes it as easy as it could possibly be and you can flash their real signature even as you're finishing writing the date. It's very convincing. Also, their right wrist can only rotate clockwise to turn the card completely over so it flashes the signature towards the audience rather than the spectator. There were several nice subtleties that came naturally while working through it.

Also, I can't tell from the demo if they did this but I put a somewhat noticeable irregularity in the signature box/line that I reproduce on the one they see me draw. I really feel that final touch sells it, at least to someone like my wife who knows magic!

The only thing I don't like is the dirty card left in the deck. If they could examine the deck at the end before returning it I'd buy it.

DD
Gaz Lawrence
View Profile
Inner circle
5991 Posts

Profile of Gaz Lawrence
I tend to agree with Don , the minute I see a date on the middle of the card and a signature at the end makes it quite obvious for a magician to suss . Lay person no which is what matters but also the price makes you realise it's something simple . All these are not necessarily bad things but believe me I am not the brightest in the world but just seemed to be glaringly obvious . Of course I maybe wrong Smile
Jonathan Fetzer
View Profile
New user
14 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Fetzer
Quote:
On 2013-01-05 12:32, Don Dasher wrote:

If they could examine the deck at the end before returning it I'd buy it.

I invented a product that meets those specifications. I call it the Top Change. It's been a closely guarded secrets for years, known only to anyone whose ever read a magic book, but now I am releasing it to members of The Magic Café for only $30. Get it while supplies last! Smile
lokikross
View Profile
Special user
An Undying Heart of Chaos; Stabbed with
719 Posts

Profile of lokikross
This thread must be getting too long to read.
It has been covered before that the line, and date were optional.
I have never performed it that way.
In the 2 final reactions on the demo, it is just their signature.
No lines, no dates. Just a signature.

Also, if you have seen it, you would know the deck is examinable. Smile

Everyone that has this knows it is not simple.

It was more interesting when we were at the point of coming up with new ideas for this.

Let us try to move back to the creative side of this discussion. Smile
trueinventor
View Profile
Loyal user
Lynchburg Va
217 Posts

Profile of trueinventor
An old West Virginia Preacher once said: "If you can't tree the raccoon, don't shoot the hound that can". What Loki did in conceiving an idea and then actually bringing it to market is very difficult for anyone to accomplish, let alone actually have success with. How many hundreds of magic ideas or tricks fall by the wayside? The fact that the majority of magicians are praising FAX, and buying it, says that FAX is, at least in some ways, different than anything else. For sure; some parts of the process are known by anyone with experience in magic but that doesn't diminish Loki's invention for a moment. I may know, in theory, how to build a car yet I've never won any NASCAR championships with anyting I've built. I am very new to magic but very experienced with "inventing", marketing, and public perception. If Penguin or Cameron (whom I don't know other than knowing they seem to be toward the top of the field respect-wise) thought that Loki just did a "knock off" of some other magician's idea they would have torpedoed him for the sake of their own reputations...at the very least they would have exposed FAX as the same old same old. I don't want to anger anyone but guys, can't the very special club you all belong to strive to encourage rather than discourage and defend and snipe like the corporate world that I'm in specializes in doing? Most of you have greater skills than I will ever have...please strive to have great hearts as well. I agree with Loki's suggestion that you put your creative talents toward improving his very well thought out idea and teaching others, maybe even Loki, ways to create even more magic with his concepts that no one else but "you" would have thought of. Then you can share in his well-deserved praise and bring even more magic and smiles to a really frightened world.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » FAX by Loki Kross (388 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..8~9~10~11~12..20~21~22 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL