The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » sucker effect (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

gmartins
View Profile
New user
Portugal
88 Posts

Profile of gmartins
Hello all!
Something happened to me yesterday while I was performing on a cafe/bar. I was doing card magic mostly, and I performed the 2 card monte (red aces changes to black kings on the hands of the spectator). I've done that effect many times before and always with good reactions. Well, I did this to a girl on that table, and when she turned the cards to see they we're kings, one boy said:"He fooled you well...". (not this exacts words(I'm portuguese) but that's the ideia). I began thinking about this, because this is the exact opposite reaction I want to create on people. Someone said "people like to be fooled, no to feel fooled" (or something like this). I guess the problem must be in my presentation, but other times I got good reactions...
Any ideias/tips on how to avoid this kind of situation?
Thanks

Goncalo
Gonçalo Martins
BillParky
View Profile
Regular user
Atherton,Manchester,U.K.
123 Posts

Profile of BillParky
Hi Goncalo
I don't think that you should be too worried about the boyfriend's reaction. He's probably a little upset that another guy is impressing his girl!
Bill Parkinson
phonic69
View Profile
Special user
560 Posts

Profile of phonic69
Well what is your presentation of the two card monte like at the moment?

Remember it was not you that made her FEEL fooled, it was her friend, perform it to him, to show how easilly HE can be fooled.

Oh, and Bill, why do you hold the 6 of diamonds, why not the 8 of clubs?

Smile
gmartins
View Profile
New user
Portugal
88 Posts

Profile of gmartins
yes, I don't think I should fool him. I don't want to fool people! If I did the same to him I'd be challenging him, and that's not a confortable situation.
I think I'll change my presentation. Now I do this:ask them where they think is the ace of hearts and the ace of diamonds (making invisble changes and visible changes), and then they see the kings. I'll say I'll change the aces into kings before they turn the cards face up!
I'll try this and see the reactions and then choose the best one. Smile
Gonçalo Martins
Risto L.
View Profile
Regular user
Finland
174 Posts

Profile of Risto L.
"I'll say I'll change the aces into kings before they turn the cards face up!"

I don`t think that`s a good idea. The power of this effect lies on the surprise of the both cards being completely different at the end. If you say that you are now going to change the cards you ruin the surprise. You also said that you have performed this trick many times with good reactions. I don`t therefore see any reason to change your presentation.

Just my two euro cents.

Risto
Sybilmagic
View Profile
Loyal user
England
275 Posts

Profile of Sybilmagic
If you feel guilty about doing a betcha type trick or sucker, try adding in a trick that maybe pretends to teach the person how to do a trick. Make them feel valuable to the outcome of a trick as if they really did it. That will let them leave with a smile on there face. Possibilities for these type of tricks include:-
Impossible Micheal ammar easy to master tape?
Lazy man's card trick Daryl m

How about perfoming a trick that give you a opportunity to look stupid like the Circus Trick. Various Sources. It is important that they feel they aren't being used as a take the p**s person in the group. Pick the person who watched you from the other side of the room and smiles as you approach (proper smiles no fake ones).
Look for body language some people love being the centre of attention even if they look a little stupid.
Remeber you will win some and they'll remeber you forever and you will just fool some.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » sucker effect (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL