The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » Learning the perfect faro shuffle. (8 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
Steff
View Profile
New user
35 Posts

Profile of Steff
Quote:
But you're right, once you know what you're doing and can get the shuffle started then there is not so much need to bevel and the whole thing just seems to work itself out.

What he actually said is bevelling makes things harder. I tend to agree.

There are actually several ways to achieve a perfect Faro. I think our methods are just different.
Einmaliger
View Profile
Regular user
Germany
199 Posts

Profile of Einmaliger
My advice: Stop reading and start practicing. You won't find that one explanation that really brings you forward and there is probably not that one variation that suddenly makes it much easier for you. It is difficult and it takes time. Look at any decent description (in Card College, in Lorayne's Close-Up Card Magic) and start doing it.
Steff
View Profile
New user
35 Posts

Profile of Steff
Quote:
On 2013-01-10 04:56, Einmaliger wrote:
My advice: Stop reading and start practicing. You won't find that one explanation that really brings you forward and there is probably not that one variation that suddenly makes it much easier for you. It is difficult and it takes time. Look at any decent description (in Card College, in Lorayne's Close-Up Card Magic) and start doing it.

Same advice. With one exception (Mickael Close's method), there's a knack you can only get with practice. Mickael Close's method is a bit different. I won't say how as I don't want to reveal the method, but it might suits you (NB: this is not the method I chose however. For some reason, I didn't like it in the first place and chose Marlo's... but I guess it's just a matter of taste).
Magic Pierre
View Profile
Loyal user
212 Posts

Profile of Magic Pierre
I am a complete (more or less) newbie. I read an article about Joshua Jay in which it was mentioned that this (at the time) incredibly young magician was devoting a lot of time to mastering the incredibly difficult faro shuffle. I immediately went "really difficult? Takes ages to master? That's for me!" and started to work on it. I studied the method Josh promotes in his "Complete Course", and a couple of techniques I found on youtube. I was also blown away when I met Bill Cook at a SAM #3 meeting and he showed me his faro. He said "when you get it, it's like butter" (he actually said "butta"). I haven't mastered the perfect faro yet, but I can do an imperfect faro most of the time without too much difficulty.

A few tips I found helpful:

Different decks have different edges that will accomodate the shuffle more easily, so try putting the right packet on the bottom, and, if that doesn't work, try the right packet on top. It DOES make a difference.

Don't push really hard on the deck halves. When the interleaving begins the halves really do just flow together like water (or butta). If you push too hard you will push blocks of multiple cards together and between each other. Since the point of the faro shuffle is to get one card between one card between one card, this defeats the purpose. Aim for a light touch.

Josh Jay says don't saw the deck halves together. However other people DO drag the top deck half along the bottom deck half to get the interleafing started. I have only rarely gotten the shuffle started without dragging the top along the bottom (lightly, very lightly), but you really shouldn't saw back and forth. It leads to a) too much pressure on the cards, which leads to b)multiple cards between cards. It also leads to c) the rapid destruction of the cards as the edges are reduced to sponge. You should be able to get the shuffle started with only one pass.

Hope this is helpful.
Steff
View Profile
New user
35 Posts

Profile of Steff
Quote:
Different decks have different edges that will accomodate the shuffle more easily, so try putting the right packet on the bottom, and, if that doesn't work, try the right packet on top. It DOES make a difference.

Never heard of that. I'll give a try. Are you sure it's not more about trying faces up and faces down ? BTW, this make a huge difference, as the way the cards are cut, they always faro more easily one way or the other.

Quote:
Don't push really hard on the deck halves. When the interleaving begins the halves really do just flow together like water (or butta). If you push too hard you will push blocks of multiple cards together and between each other. Since the point of the faro shuffle is to get one card between one card between one card, this defeats the purpose. Aim for a light touch.

+1 !

Quote:
Josh Jay says don't saw the deck halves together. However other people DO drag the top deck half along the bottom deck half to get the interleafing started. I have only rarely gotten the shuffle started without dragging the top along the bottom (lightly, very lightly), but you really shouldn't saw back and forth. It leads to a) too much pressure on the cards, which leads to b)multiple cards between cards. It also leads to c) the rapid destruction of the cards as the edges are reduced to sponge. You should be able to get the shuffle started with only one pass.

I agree but though I do not saw, there's still a slight movement (along the side, a bit circular, and at the same time I close the V shape formed by the two sides)
JohnWells
View Profile
Inner circle
The Southern Wild
1791 Posts

Profile of JohnWells
I managed to get "the knack" from a Martin Nash video, though Fred Robinson's description in Pabular added some useful details. Alex Elmsley has some good suggestions in his books. All I can say is, it's a bit like singing, that is, properly trained singing. Nothing is made to happen, rather, you set up the ideal conditions and just let it happen. When you get everything in the right place, at the right pressure and angle, the cards just shuffle themselves.
KLG
View Profile
Veteran user
Hong Kong
348 Posts

Profile of KLG
I mainly learned the faro from Card College and Harry Lorayne's Classic Collection. Yet the best tip I've read (that worked on me) comes from Mike Close.

Also, when first learning, I would suggest avoid using new decks. Older decks with the edges slightly worn are usually easier (at least for me).
Magic Pierre
View Profile
Loyal user
212 Posts

Profile of Magic Pierre
Steff. Yes, you are correct, cards facing one way or the other. DOH! Also, the description you give of arcing the deck halves together sounds almost exactly like the way I usually do this.
Francois Lagrange
View Profile
Veteran user
Paris, France
383 Posts

Profile of Francois Lagrange
I learned the faro from Larry Lorayne's description in Close Up Card Magic. Sometimes, less is more - by that I mean that Harry's description is short and to the point. Get a deck and start practicing and experiment. You should be able to do a perfect faro soon enough. After that, practice more to obtain reliability and then study other sources.
Protect me from my friends, I'll deal with my enemies.
ash2arani
View Profile
Special user
923 Posts

Profile of ash2arani
Which version does Paul Gertner teach in his Unshuffling the Faro Shuffle DVD? Top-down or bottom-up?

Thanks all.
Houselog
View Profile
New user
12 Posts

Profile of Houselog
The Virts have a downloadable video on the Faro Shuffle that goes pretty in-depth to all the nuances to it.
MarloFan93
View Profile
New user
42 Posts

Profile of MarloFan93
Have you read through the Faromania post that is stickied at the top of this forum. It is the ultimate source for all things Faro. With that said I have been working on the Tabled Faro myself and recently bought Jason England's wonderful video on the shuffle. I also highly highly highly recommend Marlo's work on the subject he wrote two booklets as part of his Revolutionary Card Technique, that is available collected as a nice book and also in the original two booklets: The Faro Shuffle and Faro Notes.

PM if you are interested in copies of the booklets.
ImpromptuBoy
View Profile
Special user
Toronto, Canada
898 Posts

Profile of ImpromptuBoy
Another vote for Marlo's work on the faro. Revolutionary Card Technique has a chapter on the faro shuffle, and a ton of other material to keep you busy for a long time! The idea of the shuffle is quite simple, it's just a matter of practice to get it 'perfect' so to speak. Definitely helps when you got a brand new deck. But it can be done just as easily with not so brand new cards once you got the technique down.
Once you master it, learn Marlo's Miracle Routine. You'll have a 5 phase routine that's killer!
ImpromptuBoy
View Profile
Special user
Toronto, Canada
898 Posts

Profile of ImpromptuBoy
Also, In addition to Marlo's Miracle Routine, learn his estimation aces!
MarloFan93
View Profile
New user
42 Posts

Profile of MarloFan93
Quote:
On May 25, 2016, ImpromptuBoy wrote:
Another vote for Marlo's work on the faro. Revolutionary Card Technique has a chapter on the faro shuffle, and a ton of other material to keep you busy for a long time! The idea of the shuffle is quite simple, it's just a matter of practice to get it 'perfect' so to speak. Definitely helps when you got a brand new deck. But it can be done just as easily with not so brand new cards once you got the technique down.
Once you master it, learn Marlo's Miracle Routine. You'll have a 5 phase routine that's killer!

Actually there are two chapter on The Faro in RCT, The Faro Shuffle and also his Faro Notes.
ImpromptuBoy
View Profile
Special user
Toronto, Canada
898 Posts

Profile of ImpromptuBoy
Quote:
On May 25, 2016, MarloFan93 wrote:
Quote:
On May 25, 2016, ImpromptuBoy wrote:

Actually there are two chapter on The Faro in RCT, The Faro Shuffle and also his Faro Notes.

You are correct! Been a while since I read the book..
Trentonmatthew
View Profile
New user
57 Posts

Profile of Trentonmatthew
The best advice I can give is to turn this move into a “tick” when you are sitting at work or on the bus, just work it over and over and over.
GreenKnight33
View Profile
Regular user
151 Posts

Profile of GreenKnight33
For me it was a combo of Loraynes advice in CUCM and Marlo's super detailed work in his faro booklet. And then practicing but not for long periods. 15-20 min max, 2-3 times a day. Give your mind time to ingest what you just tried and think through potential new options. I tried 4-5 different hand positions alone let alone pressure points etc. You can do it!
EndersGame
View Profile
Inner circle
Reviewer EndersGame
2198 Posts

Profile of EndersGame
What I found super helpful was the video tutorial on the perfect Faro and the Cascade from The Virts. Here's the video trailer:

You can only get access to their video tutorials when you purchase one of their decks here. It's worth it. The Perfect Faro video tutorial is $6, and if you get the combo with the Cascade it is $10. Plus the Virtuoso deck is amazing - see my review here.

The instruction is excellent, covers all the details that I didn't get from elsewhere, and single-handedly helped me nail the faro shuffle in less than an hour.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » Learning the perfect faro shuffle. (8 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL