We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » An opener for a large audience? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

ahattrick
View Profile
New user
49 Posts

Profile of ahattrick
Hello!
While I'm not exactly new to magic (have been practicing for over 2 years now), I have my first real large live audience performance coming up in a few weeks (around 400 people). I am mainly a card magician, I have around 5 to 8 minutes to do my act, and my act will be my version of the Chicago opener (it has some elements of ambitious card as well and some improve/flourishs that I threw in) and Regeneration by Bloke Vogt. I will have a camera so everyone can see me do the card tricks, but I feel that I need a quick and catchy opener that preferably doesn't require the whole deck so I can go right into the Chicago. It doesn't have to be hard or even include cards or the use of the camera, I was wondering if any of you had any suggestions for something to jump start into the act. Something I could do walking on or setting up possibly that looks impressive and is relatively quick to do or had any other suggestions on the matter.

Thanks!
-Hat
WolfOfPyro
View Profile
New user
3 Posts

Profile of WolfOfPyro
You could always start with a bit of rope magic. Very visual, not too difficult. It may require a bit of practice, but you could get a few moves for an opener down in a few weeks no problem.
motown
View Profile
Inner circle
Atlanta by way of Detroit
5756 Posts

Profile of motown
Have you considered some type of production, like the 4 aces, then go into an effect using the Aces.
"If you ever write anything about me after I'm gone, I will come back and haunt you."
– Karl Germain
motown
View Profile
Inner circle
5756 Posts

Profile of motown
The I Hate David Copperfield Trick is a good visual effect.
"If you ever write anything about me after I'm gone, I will come back and haunt you."
– Karl Germain
rklew64
View Profile
Inner circle
1261 Posts

Profile of rklew64
Open with an electric deck to break the ice to warm the crowd...
Ed_Millis
View Profile
Inner circle
Yuma, AZ
2282 Posts

Profile of Ed_Millis
With a large crowd, I have three soft plush fish that I can throw out to choose three people. They choose a card (number, color, suit), and use the Invisible Deck.

Put the deck down and catch the fish as they throw them back. Pick the cards back up (deck switch) and launch into your nexg routine.

Ed
djurmann
View Profile
Inner circle
thinks time to practice and stop writing
1481 Posts

Profile of djurmann
Quote:
On 2013-01-19 16:14, Ed_Millis wrote:
With a large crowd, I have three soft plush fish that I can throw out to choose three people. They choose a card (number, color, suit), and use the Invisible Deck.

Put the deck down and catch the fish as they throw them back. Pick the cards back up (deck switch) and launch into your nexg routine.

Ed

Like it! Thank you for sharing.

Danny
nbl
View Profile
Loyal user
234 Posts

Profile of nbl
Cardiography........
ahattrick
View Profile
New user
49 Posts

Profile of ahattrick
Thanks for the ideas everyone! I definitely liked "I hate David Copperfield", that's a nice easy opener, but I think I'm gonna go with Ed with the invisible Deck. I like that idea a lot, its a good, powerful effect. Of course, if you still have any suggestions on openers for a large crowd feel free to post, I'm always looking for something new to learn or try!
bowers
View Profile
Inner circle
Oakboro N.C.
6386 Posts

Profile of bowers
I start a lot of times pulling a silk from
my vest and changing it to a cane.its flashy
and great visual magic to get the audences attention.
todd
motown
View Profile
Inner circle
5756 Posts

Profile of motown
Best of luck to you.
– Karl Germain
Roy the Illusionist
View Profile
Regular user
Tennessee, USA
147 Posts

Profile of Roy the Illusionist
A 4x4 perfect square goes really over really well as a opener, it tells the audience that you know what doing and makes them think that you're a genius.
Are you watching closely?
harbour
View Profile
Loyal user
284 Posts

Profile of harbour
How did it go?
What did you open with?
magicman344
View Profile
New user
85 Posts

Profile of magicman344
I would say that you want to have something that many audience members can play a role in for your opening. I can't think of any specifacs ,but you want to do something visual that hopefully includes spectators

:magician:
george1953
View Profile
Inner circle
Mallorca (Spain)
5941 Posts

Profile of george1953
Invisible deck for 400 people ?
By failing to prepare, we are preparing to fail.
ahattrick
View Profile
New user
49 Posts

Profile of ahattrick
For those of you wondering, I ended up doing a gambling trick which involved pulling out various cards from an unopened pack that ended with the 4 aces, followed by my version of the Chicago opener, and ended with Regeneration. The show went wonderfully! And I managed to pick up some more gigs from it. Thanks for all the advice!
Mark Jarvis
View Profile
Regular user
172 Posts

Profile of Mark Jarvis
For larger crowds I like to loosen the audience up a bit. Get them relaxed and let them know that they are going to be entertained and that my main objective is not to fool or deceive them. It helps me run smoother, takes the heat off and lets the audiences get to know me a little on the outset. Here is a link to my opener for larger crowds.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R9qLSxrZrRg

I then move right into Spoon Around as a magical opener.

For close up or walk around I will normally open with a simple TT silk vanish or Slow Motion Bill Transpo. Both are quick, attract interest and get the spectators asking for more.

Mark
Mark Jarvis
The Magic Of Magic
Solon, Ohio
The Magic Is In Your Hands
http://www.themagicofmagic.com
Amazing Magic Co
View Profile
Inner circle
1654 Posts

Profile of Amazing Magic Co
I open most all of my shows with Kevin James' Bowl-a-Rama.

Dan.
magicman344
View Profile
New user
85 Posts

Profile of magicman344
I agree with Mark Jarvis, You want to relax the spectators. Also, the first and last things you show an audience are the things they remember best.
RobFromNZ
View Profile
New user
New Zealand
99 Posts

Profile of RobFromNZ
Ha ha Mark Jarvis. I watched your opening 'trick'. Brilliant. I see how that helps the audience realise they're there for fun/entertainment most of all. Thanks for posting it.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » An opener for a large audience? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2018 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.12 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL