The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Cobra Magic - Magic Light (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3~4 [Next]
rhettbryson
View Profile
Veteran user
Greenville, SC Not ashamed of his
346 Posts

Profile of rhettbryson
There is an ad for "Cobra Light" in the latest Linking Ring from Cobra Magic. Has anyone seen or handled one of these?

http://www.cobra-magic.com/product/7

The demo puts one in the mind of the Magic Switchboard - with some presentation possibilities that are quite different.
yanivlevy
View Profile
New user
58 Posts

Profile of yanivlevy
I like the 3th part....
The finaly.....
kellaroneil
View Profile
New user
69 Posts

Profile of kellaroneil
Looks like quite a nice piece. Thanks for sharing Rhett!
yanivlevy
View Profile
New user
58 Posts

Profile of yanivlevy
mickym
View Profile
Regular user
199 Posts

Profile of mickym
Quote:
On 2013-02-10 10:36, rhettbryson wrote:
There is an ad for "Cobra Light" in the latest Linking Ring from Cobra Magic. Has anyone seen or handled one of these?

I have acquired two other products of Cobra-Magic - The WhiteBoard and the Mentalism Chair. I am very satisfied from them as they are very reliable and their effects are very impressive.
I have seen recently the demos of the Cobra Light and I have been very impressed. I am thinking to order it, but I am waiting for some reviews before.
I like the fact that it is small in size, so it can be carried very easily everywhere.
Can someone who owns it confirm if it is really as shown in the demos?
I wonder also if it needs to be reset after every performance? Or is it ready immediately for performing again?
richard_mentalism
View Profile
Regular user
146 Posts

Profile of richard_mentalism
Is the audience allowed to see the back of the board?
May the volunteer inspect it during and/or after the performance?
May the volunteer handle it?
rhettbryson
View Profile
Veteran user
346 Posts

Profile of rhettbryson
I have placed my order for this trick - it is on its way. I shall make comments when I receive it and had a chance to access its value as a performance piece.
mickym
View Profile
Regular user
199 Posts

Profile of mickym
Quote:
On 2013-02-13 07:02, rhettbryson wrote:
I have placed my order for this trick - it is on its way. I shall make comments when I receive it and had a chance to access its value as a performance piece.

Hi Rhett, Your review will be very appreciated. I also like this trick and will be very glad to have your opinion on it after you will experience it. It looks very impressive.
rhettbryson
View Profile
Veteran user
346 Posts

Profile of rhettbryson
Mickym.... I do consider myself somewhat of an expert on effects such as this. I have five different variations and am in touch with a 6th that is not yet released. I ma looking forward to trying out this one which seems to have features not found on some of the others.
mickym
View Profile
Regular user
199 Posts

Profile of mickym
Hi Rhett, It will be interesting to have a comparison of your previous props with this one (From point of view of reliability, performance, how impressive is the effect, etc.)
I am interested in it, so I will wait for your comments.
In any case - enjoy it!
richard_mentalism
View Profile
Regular user
146 Posts

Does someone know if Cobra-Magic will be in Blackpool Convention this month? Or if their products will be presented there?
learachel
View Profile
Veteran user
394 Posts

Profile of learachel
Quote:
On 2013-02-18 03:35, richard_mentalism wrote:
Does someone know if Cobra-Magic will be in Blackpool Convention this month? Or if their products will be presented there?

yes
richard_mentalism
View Profile
Regular user
146 Posts

Quote:
On 2013-02-18 05:29, learachel wrote:
Quote:
On 2013-02-18 03:35, richard_mentalism wrote:

yes

"Yes" what? You know the answer or will they be there? Or will their products only be there?
Will it be possible to make a purchase on the spot?
yanivlevy
View Profile
New user
58 Posts

Profile of yanivlevy
Hi there,

YES, we will be at the Blackpool magic convention 2013.

You can purchase some of our products.

We take only few pieces every product.

Yaniv
richard_mentalism
View Profile
Regular user
146 Posts

OK, I will come to see you. I am interested in some of your products and will be glad to see them.
mickym
View Profile
Regular user
199 Posts

Profile of mickym
Quote:
On 2013-02-13 07:02, rhettbryson wrote:

Hi Rhett,
Have you received it? I am waiting for your review. Thanks.
rhettbryson
View Profile
Veteran user
346 Posts

Profile of rhettbryson
Mickym.... No - not yet. My first comment in my review is likely to be that there is a Loooooooooong wait for the product. I have had such good delivery from other foreign dealers in the past - 3-5 days at most... essentially the same delivery times as items from within the US (or faster in some cases.) This trick is coming from Israel and it is slow.... I am still waiting. The tracking number that I was given does not tell me anything about where the parcel is after it leaves Israel - so..... I wait (and with dwindling patience.) I assure you that I will do a review after I get it and haver a chance to try it on several audiences to see how it plays....
JackMagic
View Profile
Special user
738 Posts

Profile of JackMagic
I will be also looking out for your review
J M Talbot
View Profile
Inner circle
1919 Posts

Profile of J M Talbot
I picked this up late last year. I like it and came up with a presentation I am quite happy with. The prop works well, with three easy to follow phases. I am looking for an alternative to the switch covers that were provided, would like something a little more substantial. Rhett, delivery for me to Canada took about three weeks.

John
rhettbryson
View Profile
Veteran user
346 Posts

Profile of rhettbryson
John...
I know that these had been available for some time but I had never seen an advertisement for them until last month. Good to hear that you are satisfied and have found a comfortable handling for yourself.
auriuspd
View Profile
Regular user
166 Posts

Profile of auriuspd
I also have one coming and was told shipping will take 10-14 days.
rhettbryson
View Profile
Veteran user
346 Posts

Profile of rhettbryson
My Cobra Light finally arrived this morning. I did have a bit of anxiety waiting for it to find its way to me from across the world. It was packed securely and safely. Nothing broken. I have a bit of a problem with the operating instructions. There was a sticker on the inside of the lid for the shipping box. It contained a QR code to be scanned to allow me to get to the web page containing the instructions. If I had not had a smart phone with a QR code scanner - that could have been a problem. (Actually there was the web address also on the sticker - so someone without a scanner could type in the page address and get to the proper location. I would have preferred to have a DVD included with the trick with the performance and instruction videos on it - that or a typescript of the instructions as a backup for such time as the YouTube videos might not be any longer available.

The instructions were fairly clear and it was easy to replicate the handling to see how this quite clever prop operates.

The top of the apparatus is quite attractive. The LED lights with color screw on covers should last almost forever and the battery life should be great in operating those efficient light sources.

I o have an objection to the rear of the unit, however. Full disclosure - the Cobra Magic website has pictures of the back of the trick posted there. I still am not completely pleased by the fact that the back is the rear of a circuit board and shouts out that this is a "computer controlled electronic device." I would have preferred an enclosed mechanism. This is especially true because in the final phase of the trick it is placed face down on the table and the back is clearly available for visual inspection.

The switch covers are small sections of shrink tubing and not the most attractive or easy to manipulate pieces of the trick. Heaven forfend if the trick gets close to a heat source and the tubes get shrunk on the switch handles and become impossible to remove.

The routining will have to come for me. I will work with it for several days to get completely free with the handling before I inflict it on spectators. I look forward to see how it is received.

These are my initial "out of the box" reactions to Cobra Light. Maybe more to come....

Rhett
rhettbryson
View Profile
Veteran user
346 Posts

Profile of rhettbryson
As I have been fiddling with the Cobra Light this afternoon in my office - I have decided that a "traffic light" approach might be good as the three colors are red, amber and green.
Dr. JK
View Profile
Special user
Greenville, South Carolina
739 Posts

Profile of Dr. JK
I certainly volunteer to be a guinea pig whenever you come up with a comfortable presentation, Rhett! I look forward to seeing you at the shop sometime soon.
- Jeff
richard_mentalism
View Profile
Regular user
146 Posts

Hi Rhett,
I am thinking over.
After you have had the chance to handle it, to play with it, to feel it, to see it from a close distance in your hands from all sides - would you recommend it?
rhettbryson
View Profile
Veteran user
346 Posts

Profile of rhettbryson
Richard -
I have not had enough performance experience with the Cobra Light yet. I do like it a lot. The operation is very easy, the methodologies are carefully and expertly thought out. The size makes it ideal for a carry around. My only real problem with it is the rear appearance. I do wish it was inclosed in some sort of box container - but that is minor. On balance I have very positive reactions to it. The price does seem fair for what you are getting as well.
richard_mentalism
View Profile
Regular user
146 Posts

Hi Rhett,
Thank you, I think I will order it, as I like this type of props.
Please keep me informed if you reach new "findings" or ideas about it.
Richard
rhettbryson
View Profile
Veteran user
346 Posts

Profile of rhettbryson
I will say this - the "finish" for the Cobra Light routine IS a nice improvement in the genre of these magic switchboards. You place the board face down on a table and ask the spectator to name one of the colors - when the board is turned over, the light color named is the only one turned on - despite the fact that they were all off when it was placed face down. You can repeat as many times as you might like - placing the board back face down and ask for another (or the same) color to be named. This is a VERY clever feature of the Cobra Light - a strong finish for the routine.
J M Talbot
View Profile
Inner circle
1919 Posts

Profile of J M Talbot
Hi Rhett: 

The following is the presentational hook I am using with the Cobra Light. It plays off of the fact that this is clearly an electronic device of some sort. To me it looks like an experimental prototype which led to the presentation below…

“Consumer electronics continue to develop at a dizzying pace. Recent advancements with 3D TV’s, Smart TV’s, Smart phones, Tablets, etc are amazing. However the next big thing will be the advancement of A.I., Artificial intelligence. This is simply devices that can… think for themselves! Companies all over the world are scrambling to develop and implement A.I. technology. To facilitate this, work is being done on “Smart Circuits”. These are circuits that can “learn” and adapt to changes in their environment. I have a prototype here that illustrates Smart Circuits in a cool way. 

Three switches, three lights. Turn on the green switch the green light turns on, same with the yellow and red. Works just as it should. Now let’s make some changes in the environment and mix up the switch covers. (Have spectator direct where they would like the covers to be placed). Because these are Smart circuits they should adapt to the change… sure enough the Green still lights the green bulb, the red the red and the yellow the yellow. Actually the lights are simply lens covers (remove the lenses). Here place the lens covers back on in any order you like, once again changing the environment. Check it out, the circuits once again adapt and the red switch lights the red light, the green the green, and the yellow the yellow (all switches are turned on and off and you can have the spectator confirm as well). 

To truly get to Artificial Intelligence the circuits need to “learn” from the changes and be able to anticipate what will happen next. Now you have just made some decisions regarding changing the switch covers and mixing up the lens covers. Let’s see if the circuits have learned anything. (Place unit face down on the table). I want you to just imagine turning one of the lights on, either the red, green or yellow. You want yellow? Let’s see if the Smart Circuits were able to anticipate and learn (turn unit over and reveal the yellow light on… they can pick any color). We are getting very close to artificial intelligence!” 

That is the bare bones, but gives you the idea of how I am using this. It is mostly hockum but sounds plausible and is delivered tongue in cheek.  I agree the last phase makes a nice conclusion for the effect.

John
rhettbryson
View Profile
Veteran user
346 Posts

Profile of rhettbryson
John..

I REALLY like the idea of "smart circuits." The AI angle does work well with this trick and maybe does give a "reason" for the circuit board look of the back of the unit. You have done some very good thinking on this. I am almost certain that I will now abandon the traffic light approach and will, with your permission, go after the smart circuits angle. With the other magic switchboard that I have I used the notion that there was another theory of electricity that Edison abandoned but that DOES work - "electricity follows color." I explained that I had made the prototype board to illustrate that point. And so on.

John (or others) are you aware of the magic switchbox that is made in Canada - retails for about $129? It is capable of many amazing twists and turns of the color switch matching the color bulb or switch cover. It does things that the Wellington board can't do. A demo can be seen here: http://www.magicswitchbox.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Cobra Magic - Magic Light (0 Likes)
<<< Previous Topic Next Topic >>>
 Go to page 1~2~3~4 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001- 2014 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.308959 seconds, requiring 90 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

[1] [0] [5] [0] [1] [1] [3] [4] [7] [1]