The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » FOB…anyone?? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

xero1985
View Profile
New user
13 Posts

Profile of xero1985
I watched the demo, and still didn't get a sense of what it was, has anyone used this?
jimgerrish
View Profile
Inner circle
East Orange, NJ
3209 Posts

Profile of jimgerrish
Yes. It's a key fob (hence the name FOB) with a card sealed inside. When the FOB is finally opened, the card inside proves to be the spectator's signed card. Or it could be a dollar bill, or a prediction, or a photo of someone named by a spectator, and so on. I wish I had thought of it first, but even if I did, I wouldn't have been able to make one on my own. Congratulations to David Penn for another great trick.
Siekomagic
View Profile
New user
South Africa
76 Posts

Profile of Siekomagic
Has someone got a link for the demo ? sounds quite interesting
Ado
View Profile
Inner circle
New York City
1033 Posts

Profile of Ado
How is it different from the card/prediction/bill found in a box/cellphone/whatever-may-be-a-container-that-you-can-show-with-the-object-inside-and-then-switflty-return-to-drop-the-object-in-your-other-hand?

Because I may soon market "card -in-coin-purse", and "bill-in-TV-remote" and "prediction-in-box-of-smarties" if it's only about a new container... (I haven't seen the trick, but the description above doesn't convince me...)

P!
Siekomagic
View Profile
New user
South Africa
76 Posts

Profile of Siekomagic
For anyone wanting the link

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=Yg23UIydGxI#! Feel a little sheepish for asking for the link in the first place since there is a thing called google. Besides its Monday today so I guess I could be forgiven Smile

Have a great day

Sieko
jimgerrish
View Profile
Inner circle
East Orange, NJ
3209 Posts

Profile of jimgerrish
Quote:
On 2013-02-11 04:24, Ado wrote:
How is it different from the card/prediction/bill found in a box/cellphone/whatever-may-be-a-container-that-you-can-show-with-the-object-inside-and-then-switflty-return-to-drop-the-object-in-your-other-hand?

Because I may soon market "card -in-coin-purse", and "bill-in-TV-remote" and "prediction-in-box-of-smarties" if it's only about a new container... (I haven't seen the trick, but the description above doesn't convince me...)

P!

No one cares if you are convinced or not. If you can't see potential in something like FOB it's good that you don't buy it and let your distain for it ruin the trick for those who can use it to make magic for an audience. This isn't about marketing, it's about performing. Either you can do something magical with this, or you can't.
AndyLuka
View Profile
Elite user
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
440 Posts

Profile of AndyLuka
Quote:
On 2013-02-11 04:24, Ado wrote:

P!

Good idea, but be sure to do your research first. Josh Jay already did card in TV Remote.

What makes FOB something worth your time and investment is, it’s a quality gimmick that sits on your keys, so you are ready to perform at any time. Also, it’s not a "Pretend to dump the object out into your hand that is already holding the card".

This effect looks great because you can slowly remove the card from the FOB, and it’s great for walk around guys like myself, It takes up zero pocket space, (unlike the Fred Kaps card to box, where you have to carry a box, that looks and feels out of place) and FOB resets instantly, you can’t put a price on that when working strolling magic.

Then again there are thousands if not millions of different magic tricks out there, and if you do not like this, then no one will be upset if you don’t buy it
Making Magic and Fantasy a reality in a world where our reality can sometimes be rather cruel

Http://www.lukamagic.com -That's Me

Http://www.deceptionsmke -My Show
xero1985
View Profile
New user
13 Posts

Profile of xero1985
Well said, thanks for the input
Ado
View Profile
Inner circle
New York City
1033 Posts

Profile of Ado
I was asking for differences having not seen the video, as I thought it was recommended to ask for details before buying... I have now watched the video, and I find the transparency adds a nice subtelty, and also like the fact that he shows the empty fob afterwards. I like how visual this kind of effects is (like Kap's box or Stone's phone), and was wondering what would make FOB standout, especially in countries where FOBs are not to be found (moreover, I didn't know FOBs before recently moving to Canada, and mine is not transparent so I had a hard time figuring out the pros regarding this reveal.)

P!
AndyLuka
View Profile
Elite user
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
440 Posts

Profile of AndyLuka
Quote:
On 2013-02-11 16:53, Ado wrote:
I was asking for differences having not seen the video, as I thought it was recommended to ask for details before buying... I have now watched the video, and I find the transparency adds a nice subtelty, and also like the fact that he shows the empty fob afterwards. I like how visual this kind of effects is (like Kap's box or Stone's phone), and was wondering what would make FOB standout, especially in countries where FOBs are not to be found (moreover, I didn't know FOBs before recently moving to Canada, and mine is not transparent so I had a hard time figuring out the pros regarding this reveal.)

P!

The FOB does not actually look like a FOB. It looks more like a picture frame that sits on your keys. I don't recomend calling it a FOB when perfoming, Infact don't draw any attention to it, I am not one that likes to point out the obvious while I do magic.

"I have a deck of cards in my hands" (well no S... I can see that)
"Here on my key chain I have a clear plastic case wiht a folded card inside" (wel no s... I can see that)

However reminding the audiance is a totally different idea.

"I am not sure if you guys remember, but before you selected and signed a card I had set my key on the table, and Inside this keychain I had a folded card" (No F...... Way! that can not be my card!)
Making Magic and Fantasy a reality in a world where our reality can sometimes be rather cruel

Http://www.lukamagic.com -That's Me

Http://www.deceptionsmke -My Show
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » FOB…anyone?? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL