The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » All in the cards » » Origin of Any Two Cards Next to Each Other (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

tgaffney
View Profile
New user
43 Posts

Profile of tgaffney
I am looking for origin, references, write ups on the principle
the in a shuffled deck the odds are very high any two named
numbers will be next to each other - or only one card away.

Any help appreciated.

Thanks
the fritz
View Profile
Special user
647 Posts

Profile of the fritz
I wish I had an answer for you. This principle has such awesome potential but I've not seen it exploited anywhere.
cybob
View Profile
New user
60 Posts

Profile of cybob
This was a segment on Scam School. The math seems to show that it is 48.6% that the cards will be next to each other and over 70% that the cards will be within one card of each other.

Here is the video and a discussion of the subject: http://headinside.blogspot.com/2012/11/m......dds.html
Anatole
View Profile
Inner circle
1912 Posts

Profile of Anatole
The first place I saw this principle explained was in John Mulholland's Book of Magic published in 1963.
I think the trick was called "The Friendly Cards"

----- Amado "Sonny" Narvaez
----- Sonny Narvaez
magicfish
View Profile
Inner circle
7016 Posts

Profile of magicfish
Tom Ransom
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
5194 Posts

Profile of landmark
Quote:
On 2013-02-21 09:27, tgaffney wrote:
I am looking for origin, references, write ups on the principle
the in a shuffled deck the odds are very high any two named
numbers will be next to each other - or only one card away.

Any help appreciated.

Thanks

I think the way I learned it when I was a kid was that given a value and a suit, the probability is very high, over 80%, that you would find a pair of adjacent cards with the value next to the suit. That, at least, is a very old idea.
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
5194 Posts

Profile of landmark
Quote:
On 2013-06-24 00:03, Anatole wrote:
The first place I saw this principle explained was in John Mulholland's Book of Magic published in 1963.
I think the trick was called "The Friendly Cards"

----- Amado "Sonny" Narvaez

Ah, thanks for the reference. In the Friendly Cards, the spec shuffles the cards and the top and bottom cards are looked at. S/he then shuffles again. The magi asks only for the values of the cards, and lo, they are next to each other in the deck.

I can verify this citation because in August of 1963, I took out John Mullohand's Book of Magic from my local library. Evidently, I never returned it, because it is sitting on my shelf some 50 years later.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » All in the cards » » Origin of Any Two Cards Next to Each Other (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL