The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Fortune and Fate (2 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Adam Hince
View Profile
Elite user
Pittsburgh, PA
432 Posts

Profile of Adam Hince
I am interested in getting Fortune and Fate by Dan Garrett. However, I am a little skeptical because of the mention of the special black and gold pen. You see the backs of my business cards are black and when writing on them I use the silver metallic sharpies.

For those of you who have the effect, will it work with my business cards? If not, I think I will have to pass on it.
mindhunter
View Profile
Inner circle
Upstate NY
1922 Posts

Profile of mindhunter
Hince, Fortune & Fate is a great retake on Confabulation. If you are going to use it as described, you could simply stick a white sticker on the back of your card to write on.
"The Safwan Papers" eBook: $30
Please read the many great reviews here at the Cafe:
http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewtopic.php?topic=253272&forum=15

"THE LOGAR SCROLLS" eBook is also now available ($30)
Available at Outlaw Effects, or direct through me:

http://www.outlaw-effects.com/store/the-arsenal/e-books/the-logar-scrolls.html

PayPal me at: cavscout19@hotmail.com

SPECIAL: "LOGAR" & "SAFWAN PAPERS" Combo Deal: $50

Thanks,
Bryn
cavscout19@hotmil.com
kuffs
View Profile
Special user
791 Posts

Profile of kuffs
Also a small point here, and this is not to take any things away from Mr.Dan Garret. The originator of this wonderful routine is Anthony Lindan.

And yes, you can adopt the idea. I even adopt the idea for a stage presentation using the Slate-Sational from Ted Lesley, and it work great.

Fortune and Fate is on my secret list, I never talk about it, because I want to keep it for me alone...

Humbly

Kuffs
Adam Hince
View Profile
Elite user
Pittsburgh, PA
432 Posts

Profile of Adam Hince
Thank you, gentlemen.

Kuffs, I was aware that it's originator was Anthony Lindan. I just wanted to specify it was the version that Dan Garrett was marketing. And with your final statement, I feel that I am sold on the product and must get it at once.

Thanks for all of your help. And thank you for the suggestion, Mindhunter. I may very well do that.
Harvey Nerzof
View Profile
Regular user
193 Posts

Profile of Harvey Nerzof
HN Review 87: Fortune and Fate – Anthony Lindan

AD:

A “Con-Fabulous” mental effect using your own business cards. Commercial and entertaining mentalism routine using a game show (i.e., quiz show) format, making for lots of great audience participation! Works equally well for table workers, or as a feature routine in a parlor act. Anthony Lindan gives us 10 solid minutes of strong psychic entertainment that can be easily worked out of your pocket. I’ve used it successfully in several trade shows, as the customization aspect of this piece is really great! (I used the company representative’s business cards.) Using only the back of your business cards, you predict a participant’s personal dream price package (no matter what prize or prizes they dream up). Included with the quality instruction booklet is a special elegant ballpoint pen. It is sleek black with gold trim, and it helps you do that extra secret “dirty work” that makes this routine so unusually strong. Everything in the routine ends clean and can be examined. There are no gimmicks to steal out or ditch. Re-sets in seconds for as many performances as you like.

REVIEW:

Nothing more than a mental magic trick with your business cards, but the appealing plot and the (seemingly) impromptu nature of the effect makes it worth a look. The modus operandi combines several classic methods you already know, and Dan Garrett illustrates all the fine points of the routine.

The pen I received, however, is very poorly gimmicked (far from the “surgical precision” promised in the manuscript). I urge you to check it before purchasing.

Overall rating: OK

H.
Axman
View Profile
Veteran user
319 Posts

Profile of Axman
Anthony Lindan's "Fortune and Fate" is in Apocalypse. Can't remember exactly where but it's in there. Great trick.
Uriah Fuller
View Profile
New user
SuperMind
59 Posts

Profile of Uriah Fuller
I've looked everywhere for a dealer that sells "Fortune & Fate." Where can it be found or does it have to be purchased directly from either Dan Garrett or Anthony Lindan?

Thanks.

Uriah
What confessions can you make when your Supermind stands awake - UF
sludge
View Profile
Special user
milton keynes, england
524 Posts

Profile of sludge
Uriah Fuller
View Profile
New user
SuperMind
59 Posts

Profile of Uriah Fuller
Sludge,

Thanks!

-----------

I have found the "Fortune & Fate" routine in "Apocalypse". It's titled "Quizmaster" and can be found in Volume 12/No. 10 - Oct. 1989 (pgs: 1693-1695, Third "Apocalypse" book).

It reads very interesting, and I can see ways of taking the original presentation as outlined in "Apocalypse" and re-working it for a variety of uses. As for the pen that comes with the commercial version, good replacement ones can be found at any well-stocked stationary store or Office Max/Depot/Staples. I have several as I do a couple of routines that employ this principle.

Uriah
What confessions can you make when your Supermind stands awake - UF
Joshua Quinn
View Profile
Inner circle
with an outer triangle
1989 Posts

Profile of Joshua Quinn
I contacted Hank Lee about it a while ago, and they were out. I was able to get one directly from Dan Garrett, but he said he only had a few left.

Quinn
Every problem contains the seeds of its own solution. Unfortunately every problem also contains the seeds of an infinite number of non-solutions, so that first part really isn't super helpful.
Axman
View Profile
Veteran user
319 Posts

Profile of Axman
Uriah,

Good work on finding it. I forgot that it was titled "Quizmaster" in Apocalypse.
Iain Moran
View Profile
Special user
Manchester, England
663 Posts

Profile of Iain Moran
I got mine from Hank Lee, but the pen was broken. I called them and told them about it and they asked me to return it and THEN they would replace it. I explained that I was in the UK, and thought it unfair that I should have to return the pen at MY expense but they said I wouldn't get a replacemnet otherwise. Needless to say I haven't dealt with them since.

Regarding the effect and method it's super and well worth getting, just make sure you get a pen that's not broken!!!!

Iain.
Tate
View Profile
Loyal user
NC
207 Posts

Profile of Tate
I have a problem with this effect. I just don't get a good reaction at the end. I don't know if I'm not building it up enough, or what. When the spectator reads the "prize" at the end, everyone mumbles, "Huh, how about that?"

Can anyone offer any suggestions? Please help. I'm doing it pretty much the way Garrett describes his variation.

Tate
mindgames
View Profile
Veteran user
389 Posts

Profile of mindgames
I use the same color pen... It makes it not to perfect, which is perfect!
I READ MINDS.... YOURS TOO.
John C
View Profile
Inner circle
The AMAZING and COMMERCIAL Chair Test
9978 Posts

Profile of John C
Quote:
On Feb 11, 2004, Joshua Quinn wrote:
I contacted Hank Lee about it a while ago, and they were out. I was able to get one directly from Dan Garrett, but he said he only had a few left.

Quinn

Oh oh oh, remember Hank Lee.
The ULTIMATE Routine Series: rebirth soon!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Fortune and Fate (2 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2017 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.12 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL