The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Trick coin trickery » » Magnetic Flipper vs NGF & Half vs Quarter Flipper Coin? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

gmsmagic1
View Profile
Veteran user
355 Posts

Profile of gmsmagic1
I want a flipper coin that lays flat on the table and can easily go from 1 coin to 2 or from 2 to 1. Will a magnetic flipper or NGF flipper set both accomplish this? If yes, is rubber band versus elastic the only difference between these 2 options mentioned, or is one set significantly better than the other in your opinion? While I only do magic as a hobby, I would rather spend more money for the best quality then cut corners just to save a few bucks on something I intend to use for years to come as I develop routines around it.

If I go the rubber band route with Magnetic Flipper, it sounds like Johnson makes a better product than Tango based on what I've read in this forum. Yet for some reason, I can only find Tango flipper coins everywhere I search online. Why?

Finally, while I understand that half dollar & dollar size flipper coins look more professional and visual, I personally prefer the innocence of using quarters since most people have quarters in their pocket and therefore won't suspect anything. I therefore want to know if quarter sized magnetic flipper or NGF is inferior to the larger coins in quality, handling or reliability?
Dougini
View Profile
Inner circle
I have killed more topics with my
5416 Posts

Profile of Dougini
Hi gmsmagic1! Welcome to The Magic Café! Does this help?

http://www.johnsonmagicproducts.com/shop......ts_id=78

Search their site, and call them if necessary. They are very helpful! Smile

Doug
gmsmagic1
View Profile
Veteran user
355 Posts

Profile of gmsmagic1
Thanks for the info. There is no magnetic flipper listed on their site, but at least I should be able to get a definitive answer on whether Johnson carries them by calling. Of course that still leaves me seeking the answers to my questions from a non-biased source other than one of the suppliers.
Poof-Daddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Finally reached my goal of
1876 Posts

Profile of Poof-Daddy
I SWEAR by the NGF. Virtually no maintenance, won't break on you in a performance cause the band gave up. Has a magnet in it if you want to use it with a shim shell or use a magnetic holdout to ditch it yet the magnet does nothing with the coin alone, works life a gravity flipper. It also meets all your requirements listed. I have it in Morgan Dollar and Walker Half both as Triception sets which means you get the shimmed shell, and a magnetic coin tu " unlock " the set it is also made in Kennedy Half if that is what you prefer ( and is the least expensive set ) http://www.jbtvusa.com/latest-j-b-produc......-628.php scroll down and it lists all the accessories that come with it. My opinion - This is the only option for ya and Mark is a great guy to talk to. That is his cell phone on the site.
www.shadowpest.wordpress.com <~~my cancer story

Don't spend so much time trying not to die that you forget how to live

Smile Smile
bowers
View Profile
Inner circle
4423 Posts

Profile of bowers
Im with poof on this one.
A great coin to have in the arsenal.
Todd
gmsmagic1
View Profile
Veteran user
355 Posts

Profile of gmsmagic1
Thanks for the feedback. I'll definitely take your advice and go with NGF. It sounds like Triception is the better investment for acquiring all the utilities needed for a strong routine. I wonder why this isn't available in quarter size?

With NGF, I know you can easily go from 2 coins to 1. What about going from 1 coin to 2? Can it easily do this as well for a matrix routine, or is that the purpose of the shell? Is the NGF coin examinable once nested? Does Triception allow you to do a good coin through card into glass effect?
J-Mac
View Profile
Inner circle
Ridley Park, PA
3782 Posts

Profile of J-Mac
No gaffed coin is examinable. Do not hand out your gaffs for examination! If you feel you must then hand out normal coins and then switch the gaff in later.

Jim
gmsmagic1
View Profile
Veteran user
355 Posts

Profile of gmsmagic1
Thoroughly examinable is understood. But for instance, I've never seen any harm in leaving a copper Silver coin in my spectators hand after the coin is tightly nested, since I seriously doubt that my spectator is going to whip out a bang ring. In the same respect, I doubt that they will whip out a magnet. Typically, if a fellow magician already knows what to look for, they won't go out of their way to spoil the routine on you. I would like to believe that this is an unspoken unity among us, but perhaps I'm just untarnished so far.
Poof-Daddy
View Profile
Inner circle
1876 Posts

Profile of Poof-Daddy
Triception is definatly the way to go, quality gaffs, endless possibilities. There is way more than what comes on the DVD that can be accomplished by this set in part or as a whole. To answer your previous questions, it is as easy to go from 1 to 2 as to go from 2 to 1 and although I have never done such a routine, I don't see why you couldn't do a coin thru card into glass routine considering the magnetic properties of the set. I have found many other uses for the set by mixing and matching other gaffs. The possibilities are endless. I guarantee you will be happy with the purchase of the Triception set.

Smile Smile
gmsmagic1
View Profile
Veteran user
355 Posts

Profile of gmsmagic1
Thanks. All the feedback definitely helps. It's a bit pricey, so I just wanted to validate my concerns. I kinda wish this set were available in quarter size since it would look more innocent as far as impromptu magic goes. I guess larger coins are more popular for visual impact.
Poof-Daddy
View Profile
Inner circle
1876 Posts

Profile of Poof-Daddy
Not as bad if you are not hooked on Morgans and Walkers only. My gaffs get plenty expensive but only do the same things that the less expensive Kennedy halfs do. Hope you enjoy them, I love mine.

Smile Smile
Poof-Daddy
View Profile
Inner circle
1876 Posts

Profile of Poof-Daddy
The only real quarter size gaffs I own are fusion by Michael Rubenstein and a quarter TUC by Tango which I will eventually part with when I can afford the Walker version for $200 I just bought the quarter to see if I would like the gaff and I do. Smile

Smile Smile
BanzaiMagic
View Profile
Inner circle
1194 Posts

Profile of BanzaiMagic
Quote:
On 2013-02-28 00:35, gmsmagic1 wrote:
Thanks. All the feedback definitely helps. It's a bit pricey, so I just wanted to validate my concerns. I kinda wish this set were available in quarter size since it would look more innocent as far as impromptu magic goes. I guess larger coins are more popular for visual impact.

You could check with Mark Mason to see if Bob Swadling will make these in quarter size for you. They are very accommodating.

Here's the contact info:
http://www.jbtvusa.com/contact-12.html

Also, Mark knows the gaffs he sells extremely well (as he demonstrates and performs with them) and can answer all your questions about the Triception. My experiences with him are all positive.
Alan
gmsmagic1
View Profile
Veteran user
355 Posts

Profile of gmsmagic1
Thanks again for all the feedback. Jim already mentioned that you can't hand out the gaffed coins. Doesn't the NGF coin magnetically lock once nested, which I would think would make it examinable on the rare occasion when this becomes an issue? Not that this is too big a deal, since I could always switch out a coin before and/or after the routine.

Finally, since I already own a bunch of half dollar shell coins, would I be better off just buying the NGF flipper coin without the Triception set to save money, or is the consensus that the set is worth the investment?
bowers
View Profile
Inner circle
4423 Posts

Profile of bowers
Ha poof when you get ready for that liberty tuc.
Madhatter has them for 129.00.Best price around.

The ngf flipper is not locking gmsmagic1.You can buy the double
deception set that has a locking ngf flipper coin with the set.
Todd
BanzaiMagic
View Profile
Inner circle
1194 Posts

Profile of BanzaiMagic
The Triception coin set does lock (in a way) but I still wouldn't hand it out.

A lot of us have NGF's, Double Deceptions and Triceptions, and have been using them since last year, but Mark and Bob invented these gaffs and have far more experience with them than we do. Also, he can fully explain the differences in a way we can't in an open forum. You won't regret talking to him directly.

Alan
Poof-Daddy
View Profile
Inner circle
1876 Posts

Profile of Poof-Daddy
Quote:
On 2013-02-28 17:42, bowers wrote:
Ha poof when you get ready for that liberty tuc.
Madhatter has them for 129.00.Best price around.

The ngf flipper is not locking gmsmagic1.You can buy the double
deception set that has a locking ngf flipper coin with the set.
Todd

Thanks for the heads up. I will def check it out. Probably sell my TUC quarter to get a little bit of the cost.

Smile Smile
videoman
View Profile
Inner circle
1096 Posts

Profile of videoman
Quote:
On 2013-02-24 03:27, gmsmagic1 wrote:
I personally prefer the innocence of using quarters since most people have quarters in their pocket and therefore won't suspect anything. I therefore want to know if quarter sized magnetic flipper or NGF is inferior to the larger coins in quality, handling or reliability?

Hey gmsmagic1, I hear ya about the quarters being more commonplace and drawing less suspicion. For years I felt the same way. I eventually had a change of heart about it though (well, at least partially.) Here's what happened in my case. Like you are finding, there is a shortage of gaffed coins available in US quarters. So unless I want to pay a fortune and wait about a year or so in order to have quarter gaffs custom made, I was forced to get the gaff in something more easily available. Some of the gaffs may be very difficult to make in the smaller size coin also, not that they couldn't necessarily be made, but they may not look or work as well as the coins that have a little more real estate.

So being forced to use these uncommon and suspicious coins I felt I needed to justify their existence in the routine. After a while I discovered that certain tricks do look better with more commonplace coins, tricks such as cigarette thru coin, coin in bottle, etc. These types of tricks pretty much demand that the specs examine the coins, and the more mundane and uninteresting the coins are in the first place, the better, and if you can apparently borrow the coin(s) then even better still.

However, other coin routines such as a 3 fly or coins across really do look much better with larger coins. There is a HUGE visual difference in working with dollar coins vs. quarters. Quarters when used in a coins across now look to me like little baby girly-man coins. The sound and the weight are just so much heftier with the larger coins and it just seems to the specs to be so much more impossible. But I discovered another bonus too. Using the old silver coins (that most coin magicians all cherish) adds a certain air of mystery to the routines. Because they look like antique coins (and even kind of spooky in a way) it really gives you a lot more patter and performance options. For a coins across routine I may say that the coins belonged to my grandfather and were only recently found in a chest in a relative's attic that I discovered had a secret compartment, and they are the only thing I have which belonged to him, and I truly believe his spirit still surrounds the coins, and it's a restless spirit, yada, yaa, yada. But to me beats the heck out of saying, now I'll take two coins in my left hand and two in my right. That's my only beef with the Eric Jones coins across at least on the video I saw, there is absolutely no presentation to it. Magicians see this talented young guy doing some super cool moves, while laymen are yawning. Even the specs on the video looked they were ready for the trick to be over. Try showing that video to a lay person, they won't last thru 2 minutes of it. It's a long play by play with nothing to create any interest. Anyway, that is what I found I really liked about using the big, old, funny-looking coins, they give you so many more presentational options. And if you do something like a coins across, when are going to actually borrow the coins anyway? You want to make your specs rummage thru their pockets and purse trying to come up with 4 matching coins?

So, by being somewhat forced to use more readily available gaffs, I decided to use that hindrance to my advantage, and in the process actually discovered that I ended up much preferring the old coins in certain situations. You didn't say how you intended to use the flipper so maybe a more commonplace coin would be more appropriate for the routine you have in mind. I just wanted to point out that you should consider the advantages an older coin may have when used in the proper context before you discard the idea entirely.
Best of luck to you on your journey.
Bill
Poof-Daddy
View Profile
Inner circle
1876 Posts

Profile of Poof-Daddy
And, just because quarter gaffs are less common, you can still ring them in when put in an impromptu situation and move up to the larger coins with the plentiful gaffs if you wish to go - on with the show, as they say

Smile Smile
gmsmagic1
View Profile
Veteran user
355 Posts

Profile of gmsmagic1
Alan, I have taken your advise and reached out to Mark & Bob via mail with some of my concerns. I've been waiting a few days for a response. Todd now has me also considering Double Deception for a true locking flipper. Sounds like a good thing to have in my arsenal.

Bill, thanks for your valued input. You certainly make some good points. I was going to go with Kennedy halves so that I can easily get extra coins from the bank. Now you have me contemplating whether it's worth investing in Morgan or Liberty dollars. To be honest, I actually haven't even decided yet how I'll be using the coins! Most likely for a matrix routine, followed by a coin through glass or table or scarf. When you buy the NGF gaffed coin, does the set include any matching coins for a matrix routine, or is the burden on the magician to acquire the additional matching non-gaffed coins? And can anyone recommend a good book or DVD on strong routines with these coins? Hopefully the included DVD will be sufficient for stirring up my creativity.

- Gary
Poof-Daddy
View Profile
Inner circle
1876 Posts

Profile of Poof-Daddy
Quote:
On 2013-03-02 05:36, gmsmagic1 wrote:
When you buy the NGF gaffed coin, does the set include any matching coins for a matrix routine, or is the burden on the magician to acquire the additional matching non-gaffed coins? And can anyone recommend a good book or DVD on strong routines with these coins? Hopefully the included DVD will be sufficient for stirring up my creativity.

- Gary

With this ingenious coin set you can effortlessly make coins appear and vanish at your fingertips. Master coin craftsman Bob Swadling, along with Mark Mason, have fine tuned this set over months of development. Bob's next generation flipper is a brand new concept in coin gaffs. There is nothing to break, nothing to glue, no rubber band, and you will receive a secret ingredient which will allow you to keep your gravity flipper in tip-top condition. Anyone and, we mean ANYONE, can pull this gravity flipper apart and reassemble it in 60 seconds. You will love the design. Triception also includes a Swadling expanded shimmed shell, plus a matching magnetic coin.

As if this is not enough, you also receive Bob's magnetic pocket coin holder. This holder is designed to hold a gravity flipper and shell all open and in a set position. Reach into your pocket, remove the coins already opened and set for you to go straight into your routine.

The Triception set also includes Bob's magnetic holdout, for both vanishing and secretly picking up coins. This has been one of Bob's best kept secrets for over 10 years. The holdout works in any jacket, shirt and even a T shirt.

All this along with the step-by-step DVD. The DVD features Mark Mason's Triception routine, as well as his just watch routine, plus bonus ideas and handling tips. A special interview chapter includes Mark sitting down with Bob Swadling, who is the inventor of his original flipper coin from 1964. This will be the very first time Bob has sat down and put on record the real history of the flipper coin.

Triception includes
1 Expanded shimmed shell
1 Magnetic next generation flipper (Gravity)
1 Magnetic coin
1 Magnetic holdout
1 Magnetic pocket coin holder
1 Magnetic card
1 Step-by-step instructional DVD. Over two hours of knockout magic.

DVD features

Triception. Mark’s brilliant handling for the production and vanish of three coins. This is a real world knock-out routine.

Just Watch. Three coins are taken, one at a time, from the spectator's hand. Coins one and two vanish into thin air. Coin three arrives under the spectator's watch.

NGF Matrix. Mark uses Bob’s incredible Flipper to perform a killer matrix. You will love it.

4 No More. Bob performs his super-clean, super-easy, production of 4 coins. You will rub your eyes as they vanish.

Flipper History. Mark sits down with the legend himself, Bob Swadling. Bob is the creator of some of the world's leading magic
effects. He invented the Flipper coin back in 1964. Listen and learn the real history of this incredible gaff.

NGF Maintenance. This is a chapter all about the next generation flipper.

4 No More Bonus. A never before seen coin routine.

And that is just what they include, there is soooooooo much more you can do with the set in parts or as a whole. Yes you will need to get a couple more coins to do effects not on the dvd but matching the coins is not hard to do. There are 2 options - shine them all up equally or break out a Q-tip and some bleach and age them all the same. Pm me and I will point you to some good tutorials on aging and softening the coins. There is also a third option - they don't all have to match. You would be surprised how little difference they see compared to us who are usually OCD Perfectionists by nature.

In all honesty, I was flat broke but I wanted a really cool coin gaff for myself. I already had all the standard gaffs in walking liberty halves and I spent hours and days then weeks looking at Lassen stuff, Schoolcraft, Johnson ( where all my others came from) and Keupers, but the long and short of it is Triception is going to give you the most bang for your buck and I guarantee you will be glad you got it. You can always add in other gaffs from other makers I have Lassen stuff, Joe Mogar stuff, Johnson stuff and Triception in both walker and Morgan. I am so armed to the hilt I am overwhelmed but have never been happier with a purchase.

Smile Smile
Poof-Daddy
View Profile
Inner circle
1876 Posts

Profile of Poof-Daddy
And I forgot to add, the magnetic card can be used as a coin through card into glass and one of the main moves in the Triception routine is credited to Eric Jones.

Smile Smile
FlightRisk
View Profile
Regular user
North Carolina
116 Posts

Profile of FlightRisk
Do you need both double deception and triception, or can you just go with triception?
J-Mac
View Profile
Inner circle
Ridley Park, PA
3782 Posts

Profile of J-Mac
If you wanted Triception anyway, I would say go with that and skip DD. You should be able to do all that DD does with Triception.

I have both but my DD is in Walkers with an old style (non-gravity) flipper, but I think I could do everything it does with my Triception gravity flipper. Haven't tried it yet. Also, I understand that the newer DDs use thread instead of bands, so the flipper in those is most likely gravity.

Jim
Mr. Tango
View Profile
Veteran user
Argentina
378 Posts

Profile of Mr. Tango
You have to get Tango's Flippers Smile
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Trick coin trickery » » Magnetic Flipper vs NGF & Half vs Quarter Flipper Coin? (0 Likes)
<<< Previous Topic Next Topic >>>
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001- 2014 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.262745 seconds, requiring 74 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

[1] [0] [1] [6] [8] [1] [5] [5] [1] [7]