The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricks & Effects » » Token by Paul Richards (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Jamie Ferguson
View Profile
Inner circle
Scotland
2036 Posts

Profile of Jamie Ferguson
Hi Guys

Here's the first review of Token, courtesy of the Scoopmaster.

You show the spec a small envelope containing a silver token. The envelope is placed aside. Then the spec selects one of 5 ESP symbols, no force. The envelope is opened and the silver token is tipped out showing their chosen symbol laser printed onto it. Your prediction is 100% correct. The token can be examined as can the cards and envelope.

I took this out to a lunchtime gig today. IT KILLS!

Paul has put together a strong, simple and very clever trick here. A self contained set of props produces an effect that defies explanation. This is a very clean trick from the specs perspective.

The DVD is excellent and covers the set-up and a number of handlings. As usual Paul presents the trick to his lovely wife Wendy Ann.

I bought mine at Blackpool. I don't think this is available on the Elmwood Magic site yet.

One of my top 3 buys at the convention.

Well done Paul. Smile

Jamie
tomsk192
View Profile
Inner circle
2848 Posts

Profile of tomsk192
Cheers for the heads up, Jamie.

Am I right in thinking Wendy Ann didn't spend Paul's TUC on Monster Munch? Smile
J-Mac
View Profile
Inner circle
Ridley Park, PA
3647 Posts

Profile of J-Mac
Yeah, not on Elmwood Magic site yet. I'll have to keep an eye out for it. Everything I have purchased from Paul has been excellent!

Thanks!

Jim
magico
View Profile
Special user
Connecticut
699 Posts

Profile of magico
He is going to be one of the dealers at NEMCON next week so hopefully I get to see it there.
Cameron Francis
View Profile
V.I.P.
6379 Posts

Profile of Cameron Francis
Saw this at Magi Fest in January. Really nice effect. Paul is one of those guys who puts out awesome material that sells great at conventions but I never hear much buzz about on the internet. So bizarre as he produces some of the best workers stuff out there.

Then again, I don't see much buzz about most good, practical, real world magic on the internet. The stuff that gets all the buzz are the pipe-dream YouTube effects that no one would ever be able to perform in front of a live human being (i.e. most ACAANs, coins through bottles and self levitations).

But I admit, I am the complete opposite of most magicians. I don't care if an effect fools me. I like stuff that will fool lay people. If it fools me, great, if not, as long as I know it will play for lay people, I'm all over it. Paul puts out real world magic. Some of it will fool you, some of it might not. But all of it is novel and will play great in the real world.
Zombie Magic
View Profile
Inner circle
I went out for a beer and now have
8760 Posts

Profile of Zombie Magic
Scoopmaster does it again!

I agree with Cameron on all points!

Zombieland
gtx magic
View Profile
Regular user
United Kingdom England
124 Posts

Profile of gtx magic
I totaly agree with cameron,it's not as we see it through our magicians eye but how it plays to the lay persons, this gives us the platform when performing the art of magic and entertaining.Re: Token I also purchased this from paul at blackpool, great effect.Paul is a really nice guy fantastic magician/magic dealer.

Graham.
Magic Magic And More Magic.
Cards And Coins Galore.And Much Much More...
J-Mac
View Profile
Inner circle
Ridley Park, PA
3647 Posts

Profile of J-Mac
Has anyone heard anything at all about this effect and its availability?

It never did show up on the Elmwood Magic web site. Hopefully Paul is still planning to release this.

Thank you.

Jim
magico
View Profile
Special user
Connecticut
699 Posts

Profile of magico
He is selling it, but currently only at conventions and at the Real Magic Dealer Shows.
SmittyWitty
View Profile
Loyal user
Fairhaven, MA
216 Posts

Profile of SmittyWitty
I purchased this at one of the Real Magic Roadshows. Very clever indeed.
magicHart
View Profile
Special user
Las Vegas, Nevada
534 Posts

Profile of magicHart
Anyone know the price of this little gem?
J M Talbot
View Profile
Inner circle
1769 Posts

Profile of J M Talbot
I believe it is $40.
charliemagic
View Profile
Elite user
447 Posts

Profile of charliemagic
Paul is now selling it at his website
dooblehorn
View Profile
Special user
Pittsburg, CA
553 Posts

Profile of dooblehorn
Yes, must agree also with Cameron...I'm unable to resist getting anything new by Paul. Not only is he a great teacher, the things he comes up with are usually very, very good, easy to perform and fool the pants off laypeople.
My friend Danny alerted me today of this one, and we both ordered it.
rowdymagi5
View Profile
Inner circle
Virginia
2434 Posts

Profile of rowdymagi5
I ordered it. Now quickly does he usually ship?
rowdymagi5
View Profile
Inner circle
Virginia
2434 Posts

Profile of rowdymagi5
Nevermind my previous post. It is on its way. I will post a review when I get it.
smullins
View Profile
Elite user
474 Posts

Profile of smullins
I saw it at the Road Show and also saw how it works. VERY smart thinking behind it and very workable. Not something I would do myself (just a style thing) but I really appreciated the effect itself. Could be structured as a very nice opener.
Shawn Mullins

VISIT www.Facebook.com/YouthfulMagic

-There will be raffles and more to come!
J-Mac
View Profile
Inner circle
Ridley Park, PA
3647 Posts

Profile of J-Mac
Ordered this earlier today. I haven't received a disappointing effect from Paul yet, so I expect great things with this one too!

Jim
dooblehorn
View Profile
Special user
Pittsburg, CA
553 Posts

Profile of dooblehorn
I got this Saturday...I love it...still playing around with it, but it's very good.
insight
View Profile
Inner circle
2322 Posts

Profile of insight
For those of you who like to see Token on video, here it is: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_P29GyFNxqs

Regards,
Mike
BigWheel
View Profile
New user
43 Posts

Profile of BigWheel
If you are on the Elmwood Magic email list, you received notification of it's availability. Here is the link on their website:

https://www.elmwoodmagic.com/?nd=full&key=12059

And I agree with the positive comments about Elmwood and Paul. All positive.
Bande
View Profile
Loyal user
299 Posts

Profile of Bande
Hey Cameron -- while agree whole heartedly with your comment, was curious about the coin in bottle comment. I use Prohibition quite a bit, and it seems fine with live audience. Now I am an amateur, so perhaps my audience more forgiving. Or is that coin bottle fundamentally different from bottle cap in bottle?
magicHart
View Profile
Special user
Las Vegas, Nevada
534 Posts

Profile of magicHart
This effect is top quality, fun, and a fooler.
Paul has done an excellent job with this one!
videoman
View Profile
Inner circle
1086 Posts

Profile of videoman
Yeah, I like this trick. It's clever with very nice props and the effect is more impressive to specs than I thought. One out of 5 is not really that much of a long shot so I wouldn't call this a jaw dropper with a "wow" moment. More of a slow burn that seems to build over a few minutes. But it's nice to have some "slower" effects in your repertoire as well. Changes things up a little.
The only drawback is that it can't be repeated, even if you were to have more than one token that wouldn't make sense and would detract from the effect because if you had more than one, they would think you are just switching them somehow. But many ask to repeat it. Easy enough to just go into something else. But then I discovered a use for iForce on my iPhone. Had never actually used it before but finally found a good reason. Also, this means I can use the presentation where I claim I am going to influence their decision, which I like. But they would always DEMAND a repeat using that angle, so now I'm glad I can repeat it.
I don't used the supplied ESP cards, they scream "magic trick" to me, like you just bought it at a magic shop (which I did but who wants them to know that!). I just drew the designs on my business cards. I prefer not to use a single card as Paul explains but instead have different symbols on 5 separate cards.

All in all, if you are looking to add a mentalism type effect that is simple and hard-hitting then I would highly recommend this. Easy to carry in your pocket and always be ready to go. Reset is very easy. You don't have to have a table to perform this but it makes things a little easier and the effect looks better by keeping everything out in the open right in front of them
It's one of those effects that is just plain fun to do.
1KJ
View Profile
Inner circle
1268 Posts

Profile of 1KJ
Videoman,
Great input! Thanks. I really appreciate your thoughts on how to seque from this to another effect. I was thinking I would pass on this one, but not I might get it.
KJ.
1KJ
View Profile
Inner circle
1268 Posts

Profile of 1KJ
One question: If the participant continues to deal more than five cards from top to bottom, is the effect at risk of failing?
KJ.
magicinsight
View Profile
Inner circle
2665 Posts

Profile of magicinsight
Quote:
On 2013-09-23 16:22, 1KJ wrote:
One question: If the participant continues to deal more than five cards from top to bottom, is the effect at risk of failing?
KJ.

No. The participant can do more than one cycle of the cards.
Michael
“Belief matters more than truth. Every moment, belief in imaginary things alters lives while truth sits unnoticed and waits.”
—Hakim, Loreweaver
1KJ
View Profile
Inner circle
1268 Posts

Profile of 1KJ
Thanks. I think I will get it now.
KJ.
1KJ
View Profile
Inner circle
1268 Posts

Profile of 1KJ
I just received this, and I really like the effect and the method. Very well made. I also discovered that it CAN be repeated. You might need to have a justfication for how the token now matches a different card. I also see that the reset is oh, so easy!

Very nice.

KJ
1KJ
View Profile
Inner circle
1268 Posts

Profile of 1KJ
I am working on a method that does not require any control of the cards. It seems easy enough, it would just require a bit of patter that allows a minor delay of a second or two in the routine. I rather like the idea of just handing out the cards in any random order and allowing the participant to shuffle or do whatever they desire with the cards. The method is so well designed that it allows for such a free choice.

In the demo, you see how carefully he controls the actions of the participant. IMO, the method of the effect does not require such control over the participant.

I had my reservations before purchasing this, but I'm glad I purchased it. The method is very good.

KJ
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricks & Effects » » Token by Paul Richards (0 Likes)
<<< Previous Topic Next Topic >>>
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001- 2014 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.364683 seconds, requiring 78 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

[9] [7] [6] [5] [5] [6] [1] [4] [5]