The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Rings, strings & things » » Reverse lippincott? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

martysh
View Profile
Special user
Greenville,SC
526 Posts

Profile of martysh
A recent new product makes reference to a lippincott box that can be used to vanish or steal the ring out... I had not heard of this.. does anyone have any experience here or have a source? I have many many standard types of l... boxes but they are all ..one way.

thanks in advance

Marty
Julie
View Profile
Inner circle
3943 Posts

Profile of Julie
Douglas-Wayne Engineering used to make a nice little Lippincott-type box that could be used either way AND the gimmick would lock (even with the lid open) leaving the box completely examinable.

Julie
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Are you sure the reference is just suggesting using the Box as a steal, working it like the rattle box.
Damian
View Profile
Veteran user
363 Posts

Profile of Damian
Pretty sure Matthew Wright uses a Lippincott box in his Ring to Walnut (inside a lemon) routine, to vanish the ring. I was under the impression that he uses (and sells) the standard version, just uses it in reverse.
WilburrUK
View Profile
Veteran user
389 Posts

Profile of WilburrUK
Quote:
On 2013-03-04 01:51, Damian wrote:
Pretty sure Matthew Wright uses a Lippincott box in his Ring to Walnut (inside a lemon) routine, to vanish the ring. I was under the impression that he uses (and sells) the standard version, just uses it in reverse.

I agree, I saw him do this a week ago, and it looked exactly like a normal Lippy Box.
martysh
View Profile
Special user
Greenville,SC
526 Posts

Profile of martysh
Let me catch up with you all...

first I wanted to be elusive about the application so as not to give away anything in the dvd for those who didn't buy the thing but you got the reference correct....

the older age Lippincott box is rather small here in America at least the ones I have which are more than 15 and 20 years old... with lid open the box alone is 1 inch tall... and it has been my experience that when shut and locked the trap can't be opened..

I just tried it and with some prying and a better fingernail I can get the trap open... but in performance that would take a lot of doing...

I would like a box where it would only take a pressure point to reverse the action of the box. I think I found one on an site in England.... similar to MW's... it has a two shingled siding and is taller..

yep I do have a rattle box and am considering this but you can't leave it in spec's possession without some audience management ... and was thinking boldly about the porper strong box but that might be too bold...

to lock the box and give to spec to hold is a strong moment ...one worth keeping.. just need confirmation that the specific box is out there though by my thoughts it might not be in the US

thanks for your comments guys

Marty
Julie
View Profile
Inner circle
3943 Posts

Profile of Julie
For a rattle box that is 100% examinable, I suggest you check-out Craig Brooks' 21st Century Rattle Box on his Atlantis Magic web page. (It's a professional piece of equipment that not too many magicians even know exists.)

Julie
ASCII
View Profile
New user
59 Posts

Profile of ASCII
I do believe the original use of boxes of this type were to vanish an item, it was much later that there were used in the reverse.

the oldest reference I have read on the working of it was in "Modern Magic" By Prof. Hoffman in 1877, although it was using the more common (at the time) larger Watch box.
he also mentioned that Robert-Houdin built one that was also like a rattle box with the sound of a ticking clock built into the lid. cool stuff!!

I have both the smaller and the larger size, I can open the larger box with pressure but for the smaller box I cannot , so what I do to get around this is I leave the door slightly open and cover it with my fingers as I am displaying the box. Then once the box is in my pocket its an easy matter to grab the lip and open the box fully. If you wanted a spectator to place a ring in the box I would probably opt to hold the box horizontally (with you fingers still holding the slightly open door at the top) then they will not see the gap as it will be in shadow.
martysh
View Profile
Special user
Greenville,SC
526 Posts

Profile of martysh
Boy thanks for that suggestion.. as it turns out I have been trying that same exact thing with the two boxes I found here... glad to see I wasn't going too much over the speed limit...I am also looking at sneaking the ring out of the porper strong box which is a bit more daring.. may end up with your idea that I have been playing with the last day or so.. at least you convinced me it is possible.
thanks

Marty
martysh
View Profile
Special user
Greenville,SC
526 Posts

Profile of martysh
I stumbled on something last night... I will speak a bit cryptically so as not to give much away.. after playing with my older loose Lippincott I noticed that when I placed my wedding ring inside and locked it and started to shake it inside to prove it was still there... the shaking loosened up the ....so I could do what I wanted
I used two hands to cover the action...after shaking the left hand cleaned things up and placed the box in a conspicuous place

I might just do it this way

though I also found two way L boxes I think I like this that I discovered.

marty
WilburrUK
View Profile
Veteran user
389 Posts

Profile of WilburrUK
I/m sure you don't need me to tell you this, but I wouldn't go crazy shaking that box with a borrowed ring in it, especially one that had stones.
martysh
View Profile
Special user
Greenville,SC
526 Posts

Profile of martysh
You are right..been practicing with my wedding band....will stay with gold bands...they cant be too think either...a ring with a big setting won t work.....thanks for the up front warning....marty
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Rings, strings & things » » Reverse lippincott? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL