The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ebooks, PDF's or Downloads » » Karl Fulves on eLLPub - when?? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Grippo's Wish
View Profile
Regular user
106 Posts

Profile of Grippo's Wish
Hi

I'm waiting for several months now to have LLPub include the Fulves' magazines that hey published several years ago in ebook format. Any information on this?
Jamie Ferguson
View Profile
Inner circle
Alba Gu Bràth
3640 Posts

Profile of Jamie Ferguson
Get to the back of the queue!

There are many other L&L books that need to published before the Fulves magazines!

Maybe the L&L guys should run a poll here to inform their release strategy.
When the chips are down, the duvet is uncomfortable.
Vlad_77
View Profile
Inner circle
The Netherlands
5829 Posts

Profile of Vlad_77
Quote:
On 2013-03-13 04:28, Jamie Ferguson wrote:
Get to the back of the queue!

There are many other L&L books that need to published before the Fulves magazines!

Maybe the L&L guys should run a poll here to inform their release strategy.

Hi Jamie,

Let me preface this by stating that I highly respect your posts and your efforts to curb exposure; kudos! I have to say however that I don't get the logic of your reply to Grippo's Wish. While I would agree that that there are indeed many books that I hope L&L will make available in e-book format, but, your post seems to imply that Fulves' journals such as The Pallbearer's Review, The Chronicles, and Epilogue are not "as important" as other books published by L&L. I will hasten to add that I have the hardcopy editions of all of these so I am not discussing this out of a desire to see these published for me.

Of the three, I would offer that The Pallbearer's Review occupies a very important place in the magic literature that is equivalent to to the best and essential monographs. Pallbearer's is cited extensively throughout the extant literature and at least in America, it filled a void in terms of long running magic periodicals. Hugard's Magic Monthly ceased publication in the mid-1960s and Americans were still largely unaware or had limited access to the great UK periodicals. In fact, Richard Kaufman felt that there was such a need for a new periodical that he presented the idea to Harry Loryane and Apocalypse - one of THE most important periodicals in all of magic was born and ran uninterrupted for 20 years from 1978-1997. Prior to that, it was The Pallbearer's Review that filled the void of major periodicals - excluding of course Genii, and the periodicals of IBM, SAM, and The Magic Circle. Yes ABRA was being published weekly, but, the journal was not as prominent unfortunately in the states - which is a shame as I would sell my soul for a complete run.

Epilogue I will grant could wait a little further down the pipeline because the intent there was for a smaller demographic. As you are undoubtedly aware, Fulves created Epilogue because he stated that he was turning down too many great effects and ideas because they were not appropriate for the more general Pallbearer's journal. At the time that Pallbearer's was being published there were of course other journals such as Jon Racherbaumer's Hierophant and Kabbala. [Racherbaumer stated that Kabbala became counterpoint to Pallbearer's Review. I would say that speaks to how influential Pallbearer's was - and is - to have spawned another periodical. Talisman was published in the LA area by Jules Lenier but most of we young folk never knew about it until 2011 when Richard Kaufman did the compilation.

Magic publishing is so very niche and quite ephemeral. Just think that in just a decade's time, Apocalypse is OOP! I will readily admit Jamie and I know that you know this about me that I have a special fondness for magic periodicals - hell I even started a thread about them in Secret Sessions and it would seem that many share that fondness. I recall trying to find the hardback copies of Pallbearer's for a number of years and had no luck. One day I was browsing the back room of Magic, Inc., in Chicago and found them on the floor of all places! They were getting ready to sell these on eBay! Needless to say I snagged them and these journals from Karl Fulves - especially Pallbearer's, Chronicles, and Epilogue, contain many classics of the art. With all of that said, why should they be less privileged than other monographs or periodicals?

Namaste,
Vlad
Jamie Ferguson
View Profile
Inner circle
Alba Gu Bràth
3640 Posts

Profile of Jamie Ferguson
Hi Vlad

I guess I was being selfish! I already have The Chronicals and Epilogue but am missing The Pallbearer's Review.

There are so many great L&L books that the debate around which one to publish next could go on forever.

So maybe my idea to run a poll is a good one in that it will democratise how L&L selects which books to digitalise.

Thanks for setting me back on track. I apologise to Grippo's Wish for my blunt response.

Grippos' Wish, do you forgive me? Smile

J
When the chips are down, the duvet is uncomfortable.
duanebarry
View Profile
Special user
883 Posts

Profile of duanebarry
My understanding is that L&L doesn't have the rights to republish the Fulves journals in ebook format.

I would expect them to remain paper-only at least until Karl is dead.
Grippo's Wish
View Profile
Regular user
106 Posts

Profile of Grippo's Wish
Jamie: Please! Your response was in no way unrespectful.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ebooks, PDF's or Downloads » » Karl Fulves on eLLPub - when?? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL