The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Shuffled not Stirred » » Trouble remembering Mnemonica order (7 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
camron
View Profile
Regular user
160 Posts

Profile of camron
Quote:
On Feb 22, 2018, ImpromptuBoy wrote:
I can't believe I posted this in 2013! Funny story for anyone who bothers reading this, I've had Harry Lorayne's memory book for a few years now, but I never put in the time to learn the systems properly. That's until recently, I started working on the peg words (I studied and memorized all 100 words) and I learned all the card words as well.

Lo and behold, last night I studied the Mnemonica stack once again, which I gave up on a few times before, because I just couldn't commit the *** thing to memory. Using Harry's system, I was able to learn the ENTIRE Mnemonica stack in about half an hour. I was stunned LOL. For the longest time, I was trying to memorize this stack with brute force and I was never able to get it right, and I only spent half an hour last night, and committed the stack to memory using a simple memory system.

Lesson learned folks. Mnemonics really help. I highly recommend Harry Lorayne's Memory book. Thank you Harry!

Mor

I was 1st shown the system by my teacher, who learned it from harry's books and he blew my mind with some of the demonstrations..... The **** works!
ImpromptuBoy
View Profile
Special user
Toronto, Canada
898 Posts

Profile of ImpromptuBoy
Quote:
On Feb 22, 2018, Harry Lorayne wrote:
You're welcome, Mor. It's just amazing to me...people all over the world, for decades - since my first book on the subject (1956) have believed in my memory training systems, used my memory training systems to give themselves memories they never thought possible ---- but magicians, a milieu where I am pretty well known - JUST WON'T LISTEN. Well, their loss, right, Mor?

I know! Funny how that works eh? To each their own I suppose. I'm just sharing my story so that others can learn from my mistakes. And for people to get your Memory book!
Lechaim Harry!

Mor
Dumpty
View Profile
New user
7 Posts

Profile of Dumpty
Old thread, but am just starting on learning the Mnemonica stack. I am using the Peg system from Harry Lorayne. I tried the ideas in Tamariz's book but they didn't work for me. Actually they rather put me off.

(Dumb question: I haven't seen anyone make the observation that 52 = 2 x 26 ! I.e. use a, b, c, etc twice. Any mileage there? Assuming you only ever want to memorize a deck of cards and not anything longer than 52 items.)
Nikodemus
View Profile
Inner circle
1174 Posts

Profile of Nikodemus
I'm not quite sure what you are asking?
I assume you are thinking in terms of using the letters A-Z (twice) as pegs for the 52 positions??
If so (without fully understanding your question) I can foresee at least one problem - does your idea depend on knowing the position of each letter in the alphabet? I can easily tell you the first 5 letters ,and last 3. But I don't know the 12th, 18th, 20th etc etc. without needing time to work it out. Likewise I don't know the position of P, R, J, V T etc etc. So it sounds like you would have to memorise the position of the letters in the alphabet before you even start learning your stack of cards.
On the other hand, maybe this would have other uses once you learnt it.
Dumpty
View Profile
New user
7 Posts

Profile of Dumpty
You read my mind! Yes, it would require knowing the positions of the letters. E.g. I know a-e, m-o, t, x-z already, just because. It'll be easy to get the rest I suspect. And I also think it would have other uses. It was just a random idea.

Anyway, I've got 26 cards in my shortish-term memory already after two days (maybe 90 minutes in total) thanks to Harry Lorayne, so I'm sticking with that! And testing myself with the Stack Guru app.
DJ Trix
View Profile
Inner circle
1197 Posts

Profile of DJ Trix
Sophocles
View Profile
Loyal user
251 Posts

Profile of Sophocles
Ultimate Stack Trainer - around $4. I used with Memorandum for practice and helped me a lot. You can use with ANY stack
JuanPoop
View Profile
Loyal user
Luckily for you, I only have
216 Posts

Profile of JuanPoop
Hi - a new member here, so please be gentle with me... I am an amateur/ hobbyist and aim to volunteer some of my time to do shows for elderly, disadvantaged, etc, as well as doing the toughest assignment of all - entertaining friends and extended family. I am 65 and live in Sydney, Australia.

I have chosen to make my first ever post in this thread because I have been head-down in learning the Mnemonica stack for the past month, or so. I used the Rick Lax trainer and thought it worked really well. I made a couple of small adjustments to the pegs to make them connect with me and my way of thinking, but it is locked in. I feel very proficient with it and confident to use it in front of others.

I recognise others have used different methods and Harry is always (justifiably) keen to point to his fantastic work in memory - but the bottom line is to find what works for you. Once found, the learning journey is a great challenge and the reward of achievement very satisfying.
aka Lucky John
Sydney, Australia
JBSmith1978
View Profile
Veteran user
NY
389 Posts

Profile of JBSmith1978
My advice beside the aforementioned tools to really consider taking the time to learn both a peg and palace system as once learned ( in the general) will serve one well. Their applications are limited only by ones imagination.
ParkinT
View Profile
New user
Orlando, FL USA
82 Posts

Profile of ParkinT
A new alternative, that is truly hands on, check out The Trainer Deck.
It is a physical deck designed explicitly as a tool to help you easily master the MemDeck.
bhavz95
View Profile
New user
52 Posts

Profile of bhavz95
I used Quizlet. Theres a bunch of sets already made and I just played the games till I had it down pat.
yin_howe
View Profile
Special user
Malaysia
985 Posts

Profile of yin_howe
Quote:
On Jul 15, 2021, ParkinT wrote:
A new alternative, that is truly hands on, check out The Trainer Deck.
It is a physical deck designed explicitly as a tool to help you easily master the MemDeck.

I got this. It was really helpful.
"Talent without passion is talent wasted.."
https://www.youtube.com/user/yinhowe80/
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Shuffled not Stirred » » Trouble remembering Mnemonica order (7 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL