The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ballooning 101 » » Makers for Balloons (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

curtgunz
View Profile
Special user
Only 99% of users have more than
784 Posts

Profile of curtgunz
What are the best markers for balloons?

I know this has been discussed before but I want to see what the current views are.

I use Sharpies and kind-a feel, "if it ain't broke don't fix it" but if there is a good reason to use another brand I'd like to know.

Also, I don't use any clickable markers but it seems like it would save time. What are the pros and cons to clickable markers?

Thanks guys.
Click for Free Resources for Performers

YouTube channel specifically for family & kids show magicians. Click -- You need to subscribe.
Wes Holly
View Profile
Special user
Cincinnati, OH, USA
644 Posts

Profile of Wes Holly
Clickable markers = one handed operation. I began using them after I started wearing gloves while twisting. The gloves made removing the marker cap difficult.

They are better than when they first came out. The first ones dried out prematurely. Occasionally the clicking part will break. All in all I am very happy with my clickable Sharpies.
Happily Yours,
Wes Holly
www.wesholly.com
Cincinnati, OH, USA
Karen Climer
View Profile
Veteran user
Orlando, Florida
324 Posts

Profile of Karen Climer
I use the clickable Sharpies too. For white, I use Edding.
Graham Lee
View Profile
Regular user
109 Posts

Profile of Graham Lee
Pentel maxiflow are my favourite.
curtgunz
View Profile
Special user
784 Posts

Profile of curtgunz
This is EXACTLY the kind of information I was needing. Please, keep the good information coming.

YouTube channel specifically for family & kids show magicians. Click -- You need to subscribe.
iwillfoolu
View Profile
Special user
Upstate NY, USA
746 Posts

Profile of iwillfoolu
Edding for white, yellow, red, orange, and light blue. Except for the white, I only use these colors for really elaborate finale pieces.

For black I use a refillable Japanese marker that has the best coverage of anything I've seen. Plus it doesn't reliquify when the balloon pops like a sharpie. There's a bunch of info on the label:

Wyteboard Marker
Board Master
Pilot (underneath a big letter V)

They take a little longer than a Sharpie to dry, but I really do think they are the best I've come across for dark colors on light balloons.
You really have to search them out. Try an internet search. I ordered from an art supply in Europe when I got them and it wasn't cheap. But they are thick and last for what seems like forever.
Magician and Balloon Twister
New York Magicians
Magician New York
David Brenion
View Profile
New user
48 Posts

Profile of David Brenion
I second the Pentel Maxiflo, however they are not available in the US. But they are so great that I ordered a box from Europe. They are the best solid black marker for balloons that I have ever used.
For all other colors, sharpie works just fine.
For white, I agree that Edding is the way to go, but they are not perfect. The tips clog easily, and they occasionally leak. I have yet to discover the perfect opaque white pen...
And if you are using Sharpie for any other colors, do not use sharpie paint pen. it will make your other colors blend.
curtgunz
View Profile
Special user
784 Posts

Profile of curtgunz
Where can you get Edding in the US?

Also, how do you get the Pentel Maxiflo if you are in the US?

Christopher Lyle
View Profile
Inner circle
Dallas, Texas
5698 Posts

Profile of Christopher Lyle
In Mystery,

Christopher Lyle
Magician, Comic, Daredevil, and Balloon Twisting Genius
For a Good Time...CLICK HERE!
Bad to the Balloon
View Profile
Inner circle
Clearwater Florida
2116 Posts

Profile of Bad to the Balloon
Expo Clicks .... Yes they are erasable, That is a good thing. Sharpies will re liquify when the balloon pops putting permanent marker on clothing and kids.

Black, Red & Blue available in Thick broad heads, Black, Red, Orange, Purple, Blue in thin line.

ONE HAND OPERATION!!! like clicking a pen..

AVAILABLE at any Office Supply Store

For opaque markers on dark balloons.... I use Tote Markers Yellow, White, Pink
Take a little longer to dry (about a minute)
AVAILABLE @ Michael's Crafts

Also use for broad strokes MeanStreak Marking crayon. Yellow, White, Red, & Black available
White can be found at Office Depot.

This is a cream stick that leaves a great broad stripe of color on any color balloon.
Mark Byrne
AKA Mark the Balloon Guy
As seen on the TODAY SHOW
www.balloonguy.net
Creator of Bad to the Balloon DVD series
Go to my store: http://tinyurl.com/Bad2theBalloon
curtgunz
View Profile
Special user
784 Posts

Profile of curtgunz
This has been one of the best threads for very specific answers. You guys have made it easy for us to get the good stuff and find exactly what we need.

Thank you all and please, others chime in too.

The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ballooning 101 » » Makers for Balloons (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL