The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Cinema Verite by Jim Kleefeld (21 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..6~7~8~9~10~11 [Next]
Rod Irroc
View Profile
Regular user
The media swarmed over my last blindfold drive... I ran over
154 Posts

Profile of Rod Irroc
Hi Steve,

No one explained it to me.

"This effect gets great reactions and, as Lar stated above, no one has come close to figuring out how I'm able to determine the films."

That's great man, good for you. I wish you more continued success. Smile
saysold1
View Profile
Eternal Order
Recovering Cafe addict with only
10798 Posts

Profile of saysold1
The quality of the movie posters and heavy card stock make this a very professional improvement to something like Directors Cut.

With Cinema Verite you've got a theme of movies with a potential to get into the visuals and even sounds of a movie (Jaws comes to mind). Everyone likes the movies.

The method is well hidden especially since the titles can be read in any order and in any amount. To me the only possible weakness is that the method is so simple for the performer that some may just reveal the titles without using any creative flourishes - similar to using MD by PRoMystic. If one is just revealing without any other depth than this may play like a trick rather than mentalism.
Creator of The SvenPad Supreme(R) line of aerospace level quality, made in the USA utility props. https://svenpads.com/
george1953
View Profile
Inner circle
Mallorca (Spain)
5943 Posts

Profile of george1953
I got this only recently but the method is devious. I have never had anyone have a clue on the method. Not even the wife, who knows most things, its driving her mad trying to figure it out.
By failing to prepare, we are preparing to fail.
eric50
View Profile
Regular user
166 Posts

Profile of eric50
Hi
Anyone using both sets together?
George Hunter
View Profile
Inner circle
2015 Posts

Profile of George Hunter
Eric:

One could use both sets together, but at the sacrifice of either the Steam Punk theme or the Classical Films theme. So it is a tradeoff. I have not yet used both sets together, but if I wanted to involve a lot of people I might. But, in any case, more than three reveals runs the risk of the effect dragging some.

George
eric50
View Profile
Regular user
166 Posts

Profile of eric50
I agree with that..I was thinking 3 out of 64..
Robb
View Profile
Inner circle
1291 Posts

Profile of Robb
Seems unlikely to me that anyone could know the TRUE method without having purchased the product. Maybe but unlikely. If you think the method is in the reading of the list, well, duh! But that's not really the method, that's just a theory. .. One that doesn't hold up to scrutiny. If you routine it right, the reading of the list is entirely forgotten. Trust me Rod, this effect plays and plays well *with the proper routining* (which isn't all that hard to devise...).
Rod Irroc
View Profile
Regular user
154 Posts

Profile of Rod Irroc
Quote:
On Dec 4, 2014, Robb wrote:
Seems unlikely to me that anyone could know the TRUE method without having purchased the product. Maybe but unlikely.

Hi Robb,

Like anyone with years of learning and creating in this field, the "unlikely” gets harder to fulfill.
Secondly, there is a gentleman(that I haven’t spoken with)on this very thread that came up with the same method. A small world.

Quote:
On Dec 4, 2014, Robb wrote:
Trust me Rod, this effect plays and plays well *with the proper routining* (which isn't all that hard to devise...).

I’m certain this plays well for you, and everyone else that has posted.
Stephen Young
View Profile
Inner circle
Thought Illusions
3933 Posts

Profile of Stephen Young
And I was working on exactly the same method for an effect as this was released.
I had to put mine on hold and re-work it so as not to be a copy of CV.

Hopefully I've accomplished that.

Steve
Robb
View Profile
Inner circle
1291 Posts

Profile of Robb
Interesting... So I guess Jim's fairly obscure method is making out into the wild for good or bad.

I am designing a new effect using it that uses classic album covers. Same basic concept. For my own use only, would not market it. The one big improvement I'm making is that the spectator only reads off a random list of band names, they do NOT read the album titles. And since there are multiple covers for each band it becomes really hard to fathom how you could possibly know which band they're thinking of let alone which album.
Mind Guerrilla
View Profile
Inner circle
Queens, NY
2670 Posts

Profile of Mind Guerrilla
Bill Brunelle performed Cinema Verite at last Sunday's NYC Mentalism get-together. It fried everyone in attendance.

Very clever! Smile

I had initially dismissed this effect as looking too "prop-y" but because of the brilliant method, together with the premise of its being an experiment in "tonal variance" as well as the fact that people seem to be more into movies and TV shows nowadays than ever before, I'm seriously considering getting this.
Rod Irroc
View Profile
Regular user
154 Posts

Profile of Rod Irroc
Strange... A mod has inserted a doughnut into my post (10 posts above). What's that all about???

Sadly it changes the tone of my post. Please remove it.
DynaMix
View Profile
Inner circle
1146 Posts

Profile of DynaMix
Quote:
On Dec 9, 2014, Mind Guerrilla wrote:
Bill Brunelle performed Cinema Verite at last Sunday's NYC Mentalism get-together. It fried everyone in attendance.

Very clever! Smile

I had initially dismissed this effect as looking too "prop-y" but because of the brilliant method, together with the premise of its being an experiment in "tonal variance" as well as the fact that people seem to be more into movies and TV shows nowadays than ever before, I'm seriously considering getting this.

I'm sorry I missed this! We recently discussed a multiple phase version that doesn't involve the spectators voice at all... I wonder if he tried it!
Sir Pharaul
View Profile
Regular user
136 Posts

Profile of Sir Pharaul
Quote:
On Jan 17, 2014, Nicolino wrote:
Quote:
On 2013-11-05 17:48, Sir Pharaul wrote:
The method for this originated with Hiroshi Kondo in 2006 with his Tenyo effect.

This I doubt - apart from the fact that the ingenious mind of Mr. Kondo did not contribute a single trick to the 2006 line (which consisted of Floating Broom, 4-Dimensional Trunk, New Koornwinder Kar, President's Cabinet, Mystic BlackBoard, Credit Surprise, Diminishing Returns, Nintendo Ds: Master of Illusion and Magical Sneakers).

Actually it was in fact used in the masters of illusion DS game.
Sir Pharaul
View Profile
Regular user
136 Posts

Profile of Sir Pharaul
Quote:
On Nov 6, 2013, Townsend1 wrote:
Sir Pharaul, thank you for this information. Would you be so kind as to share the name of the Tenyo effect in which this principle was introduced.

Master of illusion DS game
Bill Brunelle
View Profile
Regular user
192 Posts

Profile of Bill Brunelle
DynaMix, I love your method, but I didn't do it cause I thought you wanted to keep it quiet. In fact it's one of the things I've been waiting to talk about when
we're on the phone or getting together. But the more I've thought about it, the more brilliant I think it is. But shhh....don't tell Mind Guerilla. Smile
Mind Guerrilla
View Profile
Inner circle
Queens, NY
2670 Posts

Profile of Mind Guerrilla
Quote:
On Dec 15, 2014, Bill Brunelle wrote:
DynaMix, I love your method, but I didn't do it cause I thought you wanted to keep it quiet. In fact it's one of the things I've been waiting to talk about when
we're on the phone or getting together. But the more I've thought about it, the more brilliant I think it is. But shhh....don't tell Mind Guerilla. Smile

Mind Guerrilla is always watching! Smile

Bill, I was so impressed by your demo that I purchased "Cinema Verite," "Classic Cinema Verite," and the expansion cards.

Dynamix, I believe what you are talking about is discussed in the expanded script PDF.
DynaMix
View Profile
Inner circle
1146 Posts

Profile of DynaMix
Correct - just a small handling change I learned from reelmagic (not original to me at all) that could work with cinema verite. Will email you!
Giannim
View Profile
Regular user
179 Posts

Profile of Giannim
Mind Guerrilla, do you have a YouTube link video of the Bill Brunette demo?
Thanks, Gianni
Giannim
View Profile
Regular user
179 Posts

Profile of Giannim
Even though I didn't see the Bill Brunette demo, I decided to take CV and I have to say that it is a very good purchase.. Thanks to everybody for the INFO!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Cinema Verite by Jim Kleefeld (21 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..6~7~8~9~10~11 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL