The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Penguin Live (WHO & WHAT) (28 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4..14~15~16 [Next]
Zombie Magic
View Profile
Inner circle
I went out for a beer and now have
8733 Posts

Profile of Zombie Magic
Quote:
On 2013-04-21 21:27, Salby wrote:
How about MAGICK BALAY?

YES. Salby, EXCELLENT suggestion. I've met him in person. Funny AND talented only just begins to describe him. He's an incredible performer ( I saw him wow a crowd of punters ).

Mike ODonnell
View Profile
Loyal user
Chicago
215 Posts

Profile of Mike ODonnell
I would vote for Paul Vigil, Eric Mead, Doc Eason, and Whit Hayden.
The Amazing Pog
View Profile
Veteran user
372 Posts

Profile of The Amazing Pog
If we're dreaming: Derren Brown

Additionally: Whit Hayden; Bob Cassidy; Paul Daniels
'One of the safest ways to make a good performance is to have tricks which work so easily, that mechanics can be forgotten and every attention devoted to presentation' - Corinda
Dr. Van Van Mojo
View Profile
Special user
570 Posts

Profile of Dr. Van Van Mojo
Banachek
Bruce Bernstein
Rick Maue
Andy Nyman
John Riggs
Ian Rowland
Paul Voodini

Also, it would be great if they would list a table of contents for the lectures that are available to download.
riju1985
View Profile
New user
66 Posts

Profile of riju1985
DAVID STONE
DAVID WILLIAMSON
DAVID KAYE

Magic "DAVID"s
deputy
View Profile
Inner circle
USA
1041 Posts

Profile of deputy
Whata tough decision

Bill Malone
David Williamson
Juan Tamariz
Lennart Green
Eric Mead
Steve Forte
Alwow
View Profile
Special user
Los Angeles
544 Posts

Profile of Alwow
I've seen a lot of great names on this list and concur with pretty much all. Here's a idea I think many would probably agree upon. Lately there has been a trend of mentalist (which I love personally getting to see how they think vs. a magician) but, I think it would be cool if Penguin announced/scheduled their rounds lectures by theme. For example, "April is Mentalist month with Penguin Live! See Strivings, Mcelod, Strebler, and Turner all this on Penguin Live!" I'd also offer bundled packaging on products which will be mentioned during the lecture at a discounted rate.

Just some food for thought...
"Everything I show you is the truth... And the truth is the loveliest of lies"
brehaut
View Profile
Inner circle
kentucky
2531 Posts

Profile of brehaut
Paul Vigil
Brandon Sheffield
View Profile
Regular user
147 Posts

Profile of Brandon Sheffield
Whit Haydn would be amazing!! Effects and theory!
jmathai1
View Profile
New user
Alexandria, Virginia
85 Posts

Profile of jmathai1
In order:
1) John Lovick
2) Chad Long
3) David Williamson
John Mathai
Alexandria, Virginia
MovieMan
View Profile
Special user
569 Posts

Profile of MovieMan
Quote:
On 2013-04-22 14:05, Alwow wrote:
I've seen a lot of great names on this list and concur with pretty much all. Here's a idea I think many would probably agree upon. Lately there has been a trend of mentalist (which I love personally getting to see how they think vs. a magician) but, I think it would be cool if Penguin announced/scheduled their rounds lectures by theme. For example, "April is Mentalist month with Penguin Live! See Strivings, Mcelod, Strebler, and Turner all this on Penguin Live!" I'd also offer bundled packaging on products which will be mentioned during the lecture at a discounted rate.

Just some food for thought...

I agree with most of the terrific names that have been listed in this thread, as well as with this suggestion, which I think is a good idea as well.

I thought it had been mentioned in this thread but now I can't find it, so it may have been brought up elsewhere, but for each lecture some kind of listing of contents of the effects, theory, etc. that are taught would be invaluable. It would be terrific to have an index or menu system so that when you are reviewing the lecture later it's easy to see what is there and easy to get to a specific section, as with chapters on a DVD.

I know this would require more work to produce, of course, but it would make reviewing the lectures much easier.

I know this is not easy to do and would cost money, so it's just a wish for now. Smile Even a simple list from the lecturer of what was taught would be helpful.

To stay on topic on performers for a lecture, has anyone mentioned Lennart Green?
Cardmagicdavid
View Profile
Regular user
174 Posts

Profile of Cardmagicdavid
MovieMan , I wouldn't mind helping making a list of contents for the lectures , I have purchased a few . I could list the effects from each lecture ( name of effect and a brief description of effect ) and what time each effect starts so it's easy for people to get to the trick they want quicker . I could do that for the lecture's I have . If Penguin want to give me a copy of each lecture I could do that for every lectures too Smile lol

Another idea is a penguin lecture thread and search all magic forums etc for reviews and lists of the effects than putting it all into one post and it could be updated after each lecture .
atouchofmagic1
View Profile
Elite user
470 Posts

Profile of atouchofmagic1
Well I certainly hope Acar chimes in on this thread. There are loads of awesome performers and ideas that could really help make these lectures all they can be. Perhaps even after the lectures for those that attend live can buy a lecture pack. What I mean is if there are products show in a performers lecture that that would normally sell when the lecture is over it could be sold through Penguin as a Lecture Pack which would include the gimmicks or effects but at some sort of discounted rate.

Just rambling but ideas are ideas.

-Bobby
Ezzet
View Profile
Veteran user
Sweden
391 Posts

Profile of Ezzet
As long as there arent any more cards, cards and cards, everything will be fine.

Ezzet
Acar
View Profile
Elite user
471 Posts

Profile of Acar
Thanks so much for taking the time to write, guys. We're definitely reading your suggestions and taking notes. Some of the performers listed are already on our schedule, some had scheduling conflicts and are tentatively scheduled for next quarter.

As far as the "list of contents" feature that's been suggested, we have hesitated providing it because we want to avoid the "checklist syndrome" approach to evaluating a lecture. A lecture is about so much more than a checklist, and all for the price of about 1 great trick ($20-30). So maybe you already know 1 or 2 of the "tricks" but it'd be a shame if you dismissed it as "been there done that"

For starters, often the best parts of a lecture are the (GREAT) unpublished tips, wisdom, experiences, stories, handlings and ideas that wouldn't even fit into a "bullet point".. Look no further than Pete Turners lecture for an example. How could we do justice to his brilliant 3+ HOUR performance last week? And how would it affect the wonderful surprise YOU will experience going in blind? At a certain point, particularly with theory lectures, describing it becomes explaining it.

Our primary goals with Penguin LIVE are 1) to help elevate the status of "lectures" particularly in new students of magic, and 2) we want to provide a platform for magicians to share ideas and wisdom that don't fall into the mold of "a trick that fools you in the demo video". There is so much more depth to magic.

What I'm getting at, is that it's a tough call, and these have been our guiding principles. Thanks again for all your support and for supporting live magic!
MovieMan
View Profile
Special user
569 Posts

Profile of MovieMan
Thanks for the explanation, Acar. Makes sense. And Peter Turner's is an excellent example of a terrific lecture that really wouldn't be helped by listing just the effects, since he brought so much more to it.

Anyway, keep up the great work!
JJP161
View Profile
Special user
Columbus, Ohio
509 Posts

Profile of JJP161
1. Johnny Thomposon
2. Whit Haydn
3. Richard Osterlind
4. Aaron Fisher
5. Johnny Ace Palmer
Zombie Magic
View Profile
Inner circle
I went out for a beer and now have
8733 Posts

Profile of Zombie Magic
Quote:
On 2013-04-23 17:47, JJP161 wrote:

3. Richard Osterlind

JJP161, good news: they had Richard: http://www.penguinmagic.com/p/2629
dunlop
View Profile
Loyal user
Norwich, UK
201 Posts

Profile of dunlop
Seriously:
- Juan Luis Rubiales
- Luis Piedrahita
- Eric Mead
- Roberto Giobbi

Anyone of them would be amazing!

Nico.
Don Dasher
View Profile
Special user
535 Posts

Profile of Don Dasher
Penguin will never get most of the lecturers you guys mentioned here.

The top-flight lecturers like Williamson, Daryl, Tamariz? No way man, sorry.

Outside of maybe Harlan or Osterland you're mainly seeing guys learning to lecture, or pretend to be lecturers IMO. Dan and Richard are exceptions, they're simply so prolific they need a place to dump the overflow. At least I hope that's what happened.

Many of the guys that have been named here are true artists. Penguin supplies pop magic to the masses. Not the same thing.

And yeah... there will be card tricks. LOL!

DD
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Penguin Live (WHO & WHAT) (28 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4..14~15~16 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL