The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Plastic cards? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Ed_Millis
View Profile
Inner circle
Yuma, AZ
2277 Posts

Profile of Ed_Millis
I'm going to start doing magic in the local hospital. This is going to require some adjustments to accomodate germ control. I've got to be able to wipe down or dispose of any prop I use.

Cards are going to be tricky. I have no problem giving away a card, but I can't give out something I've touched. And it's difficult to spread a pack or riffle through a deck witjou touching the cards! I can wear gloves, but I can't guarentee a sanitary deck of cards.

So I'm wondering if there are decks that are entirely plastic, so I actually can wipe down the individual cards. I may not want to give one away, but I can still do some tricks.

Ed
Bulla
View Profile
Special user
Honolulu, HI
667 Posts

Profile of Bulla
You might want to try the Bicycle Prestige Deck but some sleights will be considerably harder with plastic cards.
Ed_Millis
View Profile
Inner circle
Yuma, AZ
2277 Posts

Profile of Ed_Millis
Thanks! I'm not really concerned about any "sleights" harder than a cross-cut force! :8>0

Ed
Bulla
View Profile
Special user
Honolulu, HI
667 Posts

Profile of Bulla
Well if that's the case then the Prestige Deck will serve you well.
Wizard of Oz
View Profile
Inner circle
Most people wish I didn't have
4826 Posts

Profile of Wizard of Oz
This is an interesting thread. I never would have thought of all the additional details one must think of in this situation. But of course, it all makes sense.
Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain.
Ed_Millis
View Profile
Inner circle
Yuma, AZ
2277 Posts

Profile of Ed_Millis
Yah - it did make me pause. Magic for kids (for most people, really) is best when they can help, usually by touching or holding or otherwise handling things.

But in a situation where their immune systems may be weakened or compromised, or they are fighting with some microscopic issue that I am unprepared for, a simple thing like handing off a Sharpie to mark a card and then taking it back can be very dangerous.

Magic for kids should be empowering. A hospital is a great place to suck out any sense of personal power! The last thing they need is another reminder that they're helpless from a magician who didn't think it through.

Ed
krowboom
View Profile
Elite user
Chicago area
461 Posts

Profile of krowboom
I do a lot of hospital shows and have for many years. From what you describe is this something the hospital told you not to do? I do not have a problem with giving out cards, handling props or whatever. Those in isolation can't come to shows and you can't go in their rooms. Other than making sure I am not sick when I go to the hospital (no colds, flu, or whatever) the things you mentioned are not a concern. I treat the kids no differently than any other kids no matter how many tubes are sticking out of them, whether their heads are shaved (probably cancer), or any other disability. Yes their immune systems are compromised but the overly cautious preparations you mention have never been a concern of the hospitals I go to and they are children's hospitals in a major city.
Ed_Millis
View Profile
Inner circle
Yuma, AZ
2277 Posts

Profile of Ed_Millis
Being very new at this, I may be over-reacting. They have told me that I don't have to obsess about the germ issues. But I will be going into individual rooms, not just doing group shows. I do though want to take care of as much as possible on my end and make it flow as naturally as possible so I don't make it obvious that "you're sick so we have to do this".

Ed
krowboom
View Profile
Elite user
Chicago area
461 Posts

Profile of krowboom
I have gone into many kids rooms in hospitals. As I said before if they need to be in isolation they wont let you in the room. If you can go in their room don't worry about the immune/germ issue. Treat them the same as a kid who isn't sick, do the same routines, have them pick a card or whatever. Above all be funny and try to make them laugh. Sick kids like magicians or really anyone coming in their room because they are bored and/or don't feel good. Any distraction is great. I'm a vent also and kids LOVE puppets. My goal is to make them laugh even if it is obvious they don't feel good. If they're laughing I know I've done my job. I feel good about it and they do to, a win-win for us both.
Ed_Millis
View Profile
Inner circle
Yuma, AZ
2277 Posts

Profile of Ed_Millis
Thanks for the experienced advice! I've been a bit nervous, but I think you helped a lot.

Ed
krowboom
View Profile
Elite user
Chicago area
461 Posts

Profile of krowboom
Glad I could. Any other questions let me know.
Peter
krowboom
View Profile
Elite user
Chicago area
461 Posts

Profile of krowboom
BTW balloons are usually a no no because of latex allergies.
Ed_Millis
View Profile
Inner circle
Yuma, AZ
2277 Posts

Profile of Ed_Millis
I knew ballons weren't allowed. I was told it was becase of a choking hazard. I pointed out that more kids choke on hot dogs every year than have ever choked on a ballon. She then informed me that a child had indeed choked on a balloon in our very hospital. Hence, a new policy - no latex balloons.
OSANA79
View Profile
New user
51 Posts

Profile of OSANA79
Plastic cards are just meant to play with not conjure!
They're just awful to handle!
Stevie Tricker
View Profile
New user
96 Posts

Profile of Stevie Tricker
Quote:
On 2013-06-03 07:36, OSANA79 wrote:
Plastic cards are just meant to play with not conjure!
They're just awful to handle!

True to an extent, the plastic ones from Big Blind Media handle remarkably well but taking a deck called "karnival death heads" into a hospital would be a bit macabre not to mention completely inappropriate.

Have you considered gaff decks such as Mindpower by John Kennedy?

It allows a non-physical section of a card which can then be revealed in a variety of ways from direct mind reading to making it appear on a blank tear of paper dropped in a glass of water in front of them. (and a whole lot more)
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Plastic cards? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2018 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.18 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL