The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Did you hear the latest? » » Ricky Jay on Letterman last night! (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
U.S.A.
15305 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Ricky Jay was on David Letterman promoting a documentary of his life that will be shown in theaters. Letterman said the film was very good and interesting material.

Ricky Jay proceeded to do a card trick, find the peeked at card, and then revealing the other 3 suits were discovered also, buy a magical change of the cards shown previously.

I noticed Ricky Jay did not have the deck in a box. and the deck was very worn, and dirty. It was nice to hear some conversation about magic.
Graduate of Chavez College of Prestidigitation and Showmanship
lynnef
View Profile
Special user
777 Posts

Profile of lynnef
Loved it loved it loved it! Ricky also gave much attention to Dai Vernon and Charlie Miller. Letterman was also gracious in referencing the nuances of magic: stage, close-up etc. He's featured other close up artists as many of us know; and seeing Ricky Jay was indeed a treat worth waiting late at night for. Lynn
Slartibartfaust
View Profile
Loyal user
Canada
213 Posts

Profile of Slartibartfaust
Was a treat to watch!
thank you very much for the heads up Bill Hegbli
There is much wonder in the Great White North
David Johnson
View Profile
New user
15 Posts

Profile of David Johnson
An eloquent man with an exceptional manner.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3NYS6MVn79Y
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
U.S.A.
15305 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
I did not know you could legally post television show segments on YouTube, or I would have posted this one. I anyone knows it is okay, I would appreciate a "heads up", as I have some other videos of magicians on Letterman and Ferguson that some may be interested in watching.
Slartibartfaust
View Profile
Loyal user
Canada
213 Posts

Bill, the legal issue is a grey area. However if the owner of rights has an issue it will be removed in my experience it is "ok" unless the rights holder objects in which case the video will be removed.
David Johnson
View Profile
New user
15 Posts

Profile of David Johnson
Bill I would have sent you a PM but for some reason I cannot? Hmmm, anyhow, if you do not feel comfortable loading the videos yourself search them out (the very likelihood is they're already there) and post the link.

Cheers.
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
U.S.A.
15305 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Thanks, I will attempt to post some appearances of magician on television.
Slartibartfaust
View Profile
Loyal user
Canada
213 Posts

Bill I would appreciate that a lot. The worst that could possibly come from it is it will be removed, at no peril to yourself (copyright is a ridiculous mess) considering the size of audience for this type of content I would say the odds of that happening are slim

graciously
S
Magic-Scott
View Profile
Loyal user
285 Posts

Profile of Magic-Scott
Thanks for sharing. It's always a treat to see Ricky perform....
MickNZ
View Profile
Special user
Auckland, New Zealand
505 Posts

Profile of MickNZ
Just search YouTube for "Letterman Magician" ...

Most of the old Kamarr clips are up there, along with some more recent stuff.
ropeadope
View Profile
Elite user
Mississippi
453 Posts

Profile of ropeadope
What is the name of Ricky`s documentary video? I believe Dave said at the end it`s called "Deceptive Practices"? But was cut off before completing the sentence. Where can this video be found & is it on DVD?

Thank you David Johnson for the you tube video post. I thought it was a great interview & David was most helpful & gracious.

Loved Ricky`s trick BTW, what was the name of it?

John
Nothing is better than more.
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
U.S.A.
15305 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
I believe it is a movie that will be shown at theaters. Anyway, it was not real clear, but David Letterman said it will be at theaters now, and Ricky said yes. As with many movies, I would think it will be available on DVD after 3 months from being released to theaters. That is what I noticed the time line to be for most average movies.
bugjack
View Profile
Inner circle
New York, New York
1565 Posts

Profile of bugjack
The movie is called "Deceptive Practices." It's out now, playing in various arthouse theaters. Google it.
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
By now they've deleted all but
3903 Posts

Profile of landmark
I saw the film, "Deceptive Practice" last October at the Lincoln Center Film Festival. I posted a review here:
http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......tart=0#2
The key to the future of the world is finding the optimistic stories and letting them be known. —Pete Seeger

You can read my daily blog at Musings, Memories, and Magic
Johnny4781
View Profile
New user
29 Posts

Profile of Johnny4781
Full title:
"Deceptive Practice: The Mysteries and Mentors of Ricky Jay"
mumford
View Profile
Special user
609 Posts

Profile of mumford
baobow
View Profile
Veteran user
340 Posts

Profile of baobow
Ricky Jay performing on the Merv Griffin in 1983
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_R3WgYYgkBI
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
By now they've deleted all but
3903 Posts

Profile of landmark
What I think is interesting about that Merv Griffin clip is that he performs Coterie with almost the same script as he uses years later in his 52 Assistants stage show, yet to me, the feel is very different. He has changed since the Griffin show from a brash young show-off to a mature, unhurried, self-assured entertainer.
The key to the future of the world is finding the optimistic stories and letting them be known. —Pete Seeger

You can read my daily blog at Musings, Memories, and Magic
MeetMagicMike
View Profile
Inner circle
Gainesville Fl
1519 Posts

Profile of MeetMagicMike
I think it would be more interesting if he hadn't changed at all after 30 years.
Magic Mike

MeetMagicMike.com

I took the Pledge
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Did you hear the latest? » » Ricky Jay on Letterman last night! (0 Likes)
<<< Previous Topic Next Topic >>>
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001- 2014 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.127308 seconds, requiring 72 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

[1] [0] [5] [8] [2] [8] [5] [5] [8] [7]