The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Practicing and Performing Card Magic with fresh Decks (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

cekay
View Profile
New user
4 Posts

Profile of cekay
Hi everyone,

Hi Forum!

I'm new to card magic but at least I'm trying hard to practice. I find it extremly
tough to perform simple tasks like overhand shuffle (with injog) with an freshly
opened deck. I'm trying to renew the pack every second or third day of practice.

So my question is: What would an experienced performer recommend to practice
(and perform) on:

- "Used Cards" in the form that you used them one or two days?
- Try to always practice on a fresh deck so that you can perform
with fresh cards?

Thanks!
Chris
Remagicon
View Profile
Regular user
Somewhere over the Rainbow
124 Posts

Profile of Remagicon
Fresh cards are fine but you have to break them in before you can really handle them. Either by faro shuffling, pressure fans, etc.
"Ars Est Celare Artem"
It is art to hide art
cekay
View Profile
New user
4 Posts

Profile of cekay
Hi Remagicon,

I had to google, what "breaking in" means. But it seems that's exacly the solution to the problem I have. Thanks!

Chris
george1953
View Profile
Inner circle
Mallorca (Spain)
5941 Posts

Profile of george1953
Take the cards and bend the deck backwards and forwards a few times, then turn them over and do it again until they bend easily.
By failing to prepare, we are preparing to fail.
Paragon
View Profile
New user
67 Posts

Profile of Paragon
@cekay: Man, maybe you just have dry hands, or are they OK? Because every slide is difficult with dry hands.
frankvomit
View Profile
Elite user
486 Posts

Profile of frankvomit
I actually have an easier time with a fresh deck than a broken in deck. but that's just personal preferance.
Ryuk
View Profile
New user
5 Posts

Profile of Ryuk
I usually spring and riffle shuffle a new deck until it's not so rigid but george's suggestion should work fine if you are not yet able to do this. I'd say you should use the same deck until they start to become difficult to handle. You'll notice problems like cards sticking slightly or a visible warp in the deck. It'll probably take a month or two for this to happen depending on how much you practice (assuming that you're using Bicycle cards or a deck of similar quality). It isn't necessary to replace cards as often as you are doing unles you're a profesional or you're having lots of cards signed/destroyed on a regular basis.
cekay
View Profile
New user
4 Posts

Profile of cekay
Thanks everyone for your answers. So it seems to me, that everyone has his/her preferences and I learnt that there's really a technical term for "making cards ready for performances" Smile

@Paragon: Yip, dry hands are a problem, too. But I know how to cope with that. Smile
PaulSharke
View Profile
Regular user
120 Posts

Profile of PaulSharke
Quote:
On 2013-05-01 10:07, cekay wrote:
@Paragon: Yip, dry hands are a problem, too. But I know how to cope with that. Smile

Lose your jog. Instant sweaty palms!
Roy the Illusionist
View Profile
Regular user
Tennessee, USA
147 Posts

Profile of Roy the Illusionist
Personally, I prefer a brand new deck, but whenever I get a new deck I always shuffle and shuffle and deal the cards in a endless cycle for 10 to 15 minutes. Doing that will allow me to get the feel of the deck, figure out how slick the cards are, how easily they bend, etc., once you do that then start practicing sleights and effects, overhand in-jog, rifle force, 10-20 count force, hindu shuffle, etc. But most importantly, find a certain type of deck that you prefer, for me it's Bicycle decks, and stick with it, that way you know what to expect as far as card quality. Good luck in your future in magic. Roy
Are you watching closely?
Octopus Sun
View Profile
Special user
Wiggle Wiggle
587 Posts

Profile of Octopus Sun
Quote:
On 2013-04-29 16:38, george1953 wrote:
Take the cards and bend the deck backwards and forwards a few times, then turn them over and do it again until they bend easily.

do like he said.
mlippo
View Profile
Special user
Trieste (Italy)
848 Posts

Profile of mlippo
Quote:
On 2013-05-01 11:33, PaulSharke wrote:
Quote:
On 2013-05-01 10:07, cekay wrote:

Lose your jog. Instant sweaty palms!

How true!!!

:-D

mlippo
rklew64
View Profile
Inner circle
1261 Posts

Profile of rklew64
I chuckle at those that actually say they go thru a dozen decks a week because of practice. Youth and experience are generally not synonymous,
drumdemon420
View Profile
Veteran user
342 Posts

Profile of drumdemon420
I keep three decks on my practice table. One that is basically brand new(preferably traditionally cut), one that had been broken in a bit, and one that is on it's last legs. When I am working on something new I use the brand new deck. As I get better I move down the line to the more beat up decks. Once the decks are pretty much worthless it's time to work on stuff that destroys them such as Immaculate Connection, Card Warp, Mercury Card fold etc.

That being said, I pretty much only use decks that are almost brand new when performing. If you can do the move with a less that optimal deck it is easier with a deck in good condition. But, since you practiced with the crappy deck you can still do stuff with a borrow deck if it isn't downright terrible. In that case, go for a self worker Smile

I would also recommend that you look into Steven Youell's technique for "Buffing" the deck. It takes just a little bit of time but I consider it completely worthwhile.

I hope this helps,
Justin
OSANA79
View Profile
New user
51 Posts

Profile of OSANA79
It's very risky to perform some sleights with a new deck, such as double lift...
I love to see decks as a music instrument, you need some time spent together to be at ease with it.
Adam Fraise
View Profile
New user
60 Posts

Profile of Adam Fraise
Quote:
On 2013-06-03 07:42, OSANA79 wrote:
It's very risky to perform some sleights with a new deck, such as double lift...
I love to see decks as a music instrument, you need some time spent together to be at ease with it.

Very true. I find a brand new Bike deck a little slippery. After a few shuffles a DL gets easier for me.
View Profile
New user
70 Posts

Profile of 0045
Personally I tend to keep and use the same deck for several months.

I use the same deck for performance and practice. (I am only an occasional performer)

I remember reading somewhere (can't remember where) that it is good practice to make sure your hands are immaculately clean whenever to start a practice session. This ensures that even a well broken in deck will keep it's new appearance for far longer.

Seems to work for me.

Regards

magicman344
View Profile
New user
85 Posts

Profile of magicman344
I agree with 0045 that you should wash your hands to ensure the decks last as long as possible. I prefer to use slightly broken in bicycle decks for most effect because the cards aren't still new, which I have trouble performing with, but they also aren't worn. So I believe that there is a balance to be found. Also, if you prefer to use new decks, I would imagine that things could get real expensive, real soon.
cekay
View Profile
New user
4 Posts

Profile of cekay
You are guys are very, very helpful. After a few weeks of more practice, I decided it's the best (for me) to use decks which are used a few times (broken in) to practice and to perform. My mentor said I should able to perform with completly new decks, though. But he has twenty years of experience in magic. Hehe.
cardhawk134
View Profile
New user
21 Posts

Profile of cardhawk134
Definitely wash your hands before you use them. I like a somewhat broken in deck, it still feels kind of new, but nice.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Practicing and Performing Card Magic with fresh Decks (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2018 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.16 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL