The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ebooks, PDF's or Downloads » » Once Removed (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
SShawUK
View Profile
Regular user
151 Posts

Profile of SShawUK
I never know how best to approach this, but here goes, hoping I don't get shot down in flames.
I am the co-author of a digital manuscript that is about ready to be launched for purchase.
I would legitimately like to get some further honest feedback from folks on the Café.
The first 10 people to drop me a PM get a copy.

It's a think-a-card plot. I love it. I'm biased Smile

All I ask is that if you do get a copy, you take the time to absorb the content, understand the material, and give me your honest feedback.
Warmest Regards,
Stephen Shaw
"When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth"

www.magicblog.org
SShawUK
View Profile
Regular user
151 Posts

Profile of SShawUK
Obviously ensure you include your email address in the PM Smile
"When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth"

www.magicblog.org
SShawUK
View Profile
Regular user
151 Posts

Profile of SShawUK
All ten copies flew out in a matter of minutes. My inbox is swamped, and I'm very pushed for time, so to those of you who have not received a response, I'd like to thank you for offering to read my work.
Warmest regards,
Stephen

www.magicblog.org
SShawUK
View Profile
Regular user
151 Posts

Profile of SShawUK
Whilst I was planning on keeping this from going public until the 10 reviewers were able to provide feedback on the content of the work, I have been inundated with requests from others asking when it would be available for sale.
I have decided to share the following link, which will allow any interested parties to purchase "Once Removed" if they so wish. I am very proud of this piece, and will ensure that any purchaser is updated with any changes that might result from our proof-readers' and reviewers' efforts.
I am assuming that the majority of requests have come from people who are already familiar with the work of my co-author, Michael Murray, rather than me, a relative nobody. Knowing Michael's other releases have been absolute genius, I can appreciate why someone might want to see what else comes from his furtive mind.
http://once-removed.co.uk is a very basic site, with no frills, bells or whistles, which I have setup to allow interested parties to purchase this effect.
Warmest Regards,
Stephen Shaw

www.magicblog.org
Nicolino
View Profile
Inner circle
2893 Posts

Profile of Nicolino
Will anyone of the ten post a review, please?
The Mati Envelope
A brandnew peek device for the working mentalist!

Chance's Token
Tarot cards in a scenic piece of mystery.....
Olympic Adam
View Profile
Inner circle
1259 Posts

Profile of Olympic Adam
It's like a one man show here so far lol
Protection for mind readers and mentalists: http://tricksofthemind.com
p_n_g
View Profile
Loyal user
297 Posts

Profile of p_n_g
I was one of the guys who got it, and I will review it, but at this moment I've performed it only twice, and I think it is not enough
for a correct review.
Anyway, had great reactions, but don't want a hype thread with only two examples.

Regards,
Norbert
NeilS
View Profile
Inner circle
3236 Posts

Profile of NeilS
I too got a review copy - an impressive amount of thought and care has gone into this but, as with Norbert, need to digest and try it out.
Funnybaldbloke
View Profile
Veteran user
Preston, England
382 Posts

Profile of Funnybaldbloke
I also got a review copy but due to pressures at work I'm still going through it. I hope to post something later this week.
Tomorrow's bottom of the bill...Today!
SShawUK
View Profile
Regular user
151 Posts

Profile of SShawUK
I'm extremely grateful to all of those who received a review copy. I've had some great correspondence with them via email about their thoughts, and particularly what the principle can do for them. I've heard some great ways to modify the presentation to better suit each performers need.

I'm not one for shamelessly hyping a product, and as such I want the product to speak for itself, and I'm sure the reviewers will be able to chime in as and when they are able to test this out in the real world.

I will quote Titanas, whose opinion really made me smile when he said "I'm only on page 6 and am already having a creative orgasm".

Warmest regards,
Stephen

www.magicblog.org
jbadman
View Profile
Special user
London
984 Posts

Profile of jbadman
Still no feedback on this? It sounds very interesting but would like to hear what people think of this before considering the purchase...

C'mon - one of you ten must have read through this and tried it out by now ;-)

Cheers,

Jamie.
http://www.underground-collective.com - check out our new DVD now!
Olympic Adam
View Profile
Inner circle
1259 Posts

Profile of Olympic Adam
Stephen sent me a copy of this today and I have read it and initially like it

I will post a proper review once I try it out a couple of times, if it all goes to plan it should be good
Mark_Chandaue
View Profile
Inner circle
Essex UK
4191 Posts

Profile of Mark_Chandaue
I have read through it but haven't had a chance to try it out so far but I like what I have read.

Mark
Mark Chandaue A.I.M.C.
Harpacrown and Harpacrown Too are available from
http://www.harpacrown.co.uk
Nicolino
View Profile
Inner circle
2893 Posts

Profile of Nicolino
As one of the 10 (??) selected to write a review I hereby present my honest thoughts about Once Removed.

First off, the ebook has a beautiful layout and really is a joy to read; as far as I can tell as non-native speaker the author employs an elegant and sophisticated writing style which is just mind-pleasing (pun intended)
This does not saved me, however, from perusing the book more than once to fully grasp what's going on here; while the basic principle was immediately clear (and had me broadly smile, by the way) it took another read to get all the details and interwoven subtleties.
But more on that later...

The (admittedly sparse) effect's ad does leave out a tiny procedural detail on the spectator's way of mentally choosing his card, which I refrain from examining here without the creator's permission; however, I feel that's no big deal because said detail will fly by in performance and - depending on your approach - can even be made part of the whole presentation.

To be absolutely clear, there's no need to be afraid: indeed, there's nothing written down and no limitation whatsoever which card the participant can think of - it's definitely not a case of a misleading ad (which I am quite sensitive for)!

The effect could be performed completely hands-off and the deck can be giving away afterwards if desired; one could even use a borrowed deck, assuming the 3 minute set-up can be done in disguise.

From the audience POV the effect plays like this: they are handed a 'mixed' deck of cards and asked to browse through it until they see their favourite card; alternatively they can think of any playing card prior to grabbing the deck - it's up to the performer's style.
After they have embedded their selection firmly in mind the performer slightly struggles to get their thought and asks them to 'recheck' the deck. I can't say more at this point but again nothing is written, shown or otherwise compromising!
Finally, the performer is able to exactly determine their thought-of card!

What we have here is a cleverly hidden mathematically principle, something that immediately reminded me of Boudreau's and Gardner's work (this may tip something to the astute reader).
Yet it's so impossibly looking that I bet no one would suspect this to be the MO.

I do absolutely adore those ideas and applaud the authors not only for developing the simple yet so effective technique but even more for devising a method that doesn't require a crib at all! 
I assume that's where a lot of thought has gone into either.

Sure, a certain amount of rehearsal is needed for this piece to be effectively pulled off but nothing ground shattering. Think of "Premonition" for example - you could perform this immediately after reading and understanding the script but the quicker you are on your feet in doing the necessary 'work' the more convincing the piece will turn out. 

The script teaches two setups, one prefered by Murray, the other by Shaw. Both are introduced the same time the concept is explained which requires the reader to be mentally quite vigilant; when working my way thorugh the book I had a migraine and might therefore be biased in that regards. Smile

What's my verdict now?
Well, effect-wise you obviously can create a very similar perception with many other techniques; the "Radar Deck" for example comes very close - but does not use a regular deck.
Also Osterlind's "Test Conditions" is perceived more or less the same by the audience - but requires the deck to be stacked and cut during performance.
So - as more than often - it all comes down to personal preference. As a mem deck user, I do achieve more or less the same effect with my everyday pack of cards - no need to set up another deck just for this effect.

BUT.... although I probably won't use this as described (for above reasons only) I'm still impressed and intrigued by the underlying idea which honestly gave me more food of thought than many other books I have read and reviewed lately!

So I find myself in the weird position, recommending a book although I won't use its effect. 
Why so? Well, on one hand I'm convinced the principle can still be exploited and maybe even built into my mem deck work. 
On the other hand, I can see this successfully being used by performers who refrained from using the above alternatives for one reason or another...

Thanks for your time reading my post and thanks to Stephen Shaw and Michael Murray for their fresh and innovative thinking - I'll definitely keep a close eye on your work!
The Mati Envelope

Chance's Token
Rizzo
View Profile
Inner circle
East Coast
3349 Posts

Profile of Rizzo
Finally.......thanks for the detailed review.
SShawUK
View Profile
Regular user
151 Posts

Profile of SShawUK
I truly cannot thank Nicolino enough for taking the time to craft such an expert review. This is exactly what I think a review should be. Nicolino has captured the elements that I think any prospective purchaser should be aware of.

The fact that this effect can be performed with no crib, and a distinct lack of any really heavy memorisation is something that I am extremely proud of. When Nicolino says "I do absolutely adore those ideas and applaud the authors not only for developing the simple yet so effective technique but even more for devising a method that doesn't require a crib at all!
I assume that's where a lot of thought has gone into either.", he is 100% correct. Whilst the basic idea did appear to us in almost the blink of an eye, it took quite some time for us to craft a method that retained the strengths we wished for, whilst removing the need for any really strenuous mental agility.

I am really keen to hear what others may have to say about Once Removed, and as such, I have decided to create a promotion code for Magic Café members. Upon checkout, using coupon code ONCEREMOVEDCAFE will generate a discount that sees you able to pickup Once Removed for just £16. This is a limited offer and is likely to last no more than 24 hours.

Again, my deepest thanks to Nicolino for his excellent review, and to all those who have offered great feedback on this so far.
Warmest Regards,
Stephen Shaw

www.magicblog.org
SShawUK
View Profile
Regular user
151 Posts

Profile of SShawUK
Although it is in my signature, I should point out that this is available via http://once-removed.co.uk
I know it isn't a fantastic looking site, but it does the job. Your download link is emailed to you immediately after payment.
Best Wishes,
Stephen

www.magicblog.org
Olympic Adam
View Profile
Inner circle
1259 Posts

Profile of Olympic Adam
Review of this posted here:

http://olympicadam.blogspot.co.uk

Nice work Stephen and Michael
Nicolino
View Profile
Inner circle
2893 Posts

Profile of Nicolino
Quote:
On 2013-05-12 06:39, SShawUK wrote:
I truly cannot thank Nicolino enough for taking the time to craft such an expert review. This is exactly what I think a review should be. Nicolino has captured the elements that I think any prospective purchaser should be aware of.

You're very welcome, Stephen. I'm always trying to honestly reflect all facets of a book or routine I do a review of, and it makes me happy that you consider me succesful in this very case!
The Mati Envelope

Chance's Token
BMWGuy
View Profile
Inner circle
Texas
2563 Posts

Profile of BMWGuy
Hey guys,

Just bought this a few minutes ago and read it through once.

Woah!!!!! Talk about making my head spin......I need to fully re-read and digest the material, understand it, and wrap my head around it, and I am sure it will make a lot of sense.

I understand the basic concept, and the method is brilliant.

I will write a full review soon.

thanks

Alex
PRESET by Alex Alejandro & Dan Harlan now available for a special introductory price!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ebooks, PDF's or Downloads » » Once Removed (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.06 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL