The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Coin fingers (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

vovin
View Profile
Veteran user
Columbus,Oh
338 Posts

Profile of vovin
I have been trying some more advanced coin tricks from david roth' video the last few day's and I am having alot of issues with the palming. I don't think my fingers are designed to do coin sleights. They are narrow and smooth. It is very difficult to even do a classic palm because my palm is so smooth and there is nothing to grip it with, the coin oftentimes slips free.

Here's my question does anyone else have this issue? Is certain hand types limiting to coin sleights? or is it a lack of practice? many of the coin sleights I have seen roth do are very advanced so I realise that practice is needed but I cannot seem to get the grip on a coin that anyone else does.
MAGICTOM
View Profile
Veteran user
Dallas, Tx
354 Posts

Profile of MAGICTOM
Vovin,
I am a coin man myself, and I too had the same problem you have when I startd out...
I take a lot of pride in the classic palm I have developed due to the amount of practice I put into it. I am sure you have heard this before, but I will say it again, Keep a Coin in classic palm at all times.. no matter what you are doing. it will come to you, and it will take time, but sooner or later it will start to feel like a part of you, I have actually gone to sleep with a coin in classic palm and woke up around 3 am to find it still there!... The muscles in your hand will develope over time, as long as you continuously train them. David Roth's video series 1,2,& 3 is what I started out with as well, excellent tapes! if you visit coinvanish.com in the "foundations" link, you will find excellent instruction on the classic palm. DONT GIVE UP.. you wont find another tool in coin magic as useful as the classic palm.(in my opinion)...
Good Luck,
I hope I helped you at least a little

Tom Smile
No Man is his craft's master the first day!
J.B. Bobo
vovin
View Profile
Veteran user
Columbus,Oh
338 Posts

Profile of vovin
Thanks tom, I have done sevral coin tricks for quite awhile but most often these tricks relied on gaffs and gimicked coins(hopping halves etc..) and I had avoided the selights of hand that are required in coin magic but after seeing roth's skill in his video's I realised that I had to learn how to do it. I am glad to know that practice will cure my issues.
Brian Proctor
View Profile
Inner circle
Somewhere
2325 Posts

Profile of Brian Proctor
I am completely opposite of you. I seem to be pretty fluent with coins and coin sleights. Thank God, cause I love coin effects. However, I was watching some Jeffmcbride card manipulation tapes last night... I just cant do card sleights. My fingers are too short or something (when it comes to pivots). But I surely hope things get easier for you with the coins. As I hope things improve with my card work. I guess all we have to say to ourselves... PRACTICE PRACTICE PRACTICE! I know I need it! Smile Smile
vovin
View Profile
Veteran user
Columbus,Oh
338 Posts

Profile of vovin
It seems that long fingered people have it easy with cards and short fingered people have it better with coins. One of my issues is that my fingers are just too long to reach certain places when palming or producing coins.

It may be a little more difficut but I know it isn't impossible and I'll get it eventually though there may be alot of swear words along the way Smile
Tony
View Profile
Veteran user
Los Angeles
303 Posts

Profile of Tony
Patience has its rewards, grasshopper....
vovin
View Profile
Veteran user
Columbus,Oh
338 Posts

Profile of vovin
I am very patient with everything as long as it doesn't take more than 5 minutes.
Dave Le Fevre
View Profile
Inner circle
UK
1666 Posts

Profile of Dave Le Fevre
Just a shot in the dark here, but I'm guessing that you're not a married man.

(By the way, I sent you an e-mail about your initial post in this thread.)

Dave
The Ozzy Osbourne of the 34x27
vovin
View Profile
Veteran user
Columbus,Oh
338 Posts

Profile of vovin
Nope I'm a single man. Can't find a woman willing to support me.
Tony
View Profile
Veteran user
Los Angeles
303 Posts

Profile of Tony
Just like Coolmoney84 I prefer coins. What fascinated me with coins (as with a lot of people--most?) is that it's......you guessed it MONEY! I prefer sleights as well although I also use E.shells, flipper, Copper/Silver & Chinatown half mostly(hardly use my Scotch & Soda and folding coin) with my sleights.

Anyway it took me a while to get comfortable doing the classic palm (I forced myself to develop these muscles). IMHO these are the order of coins easiest to classic palm (easiet to hardest):
-Johnson Chinese coins (half dollar size) because of its squared edges/rims. Natural-looking in most hands.
-1965-present half dollars. Because of the semi-sharp edges & ridges. Also natural-looking in most hands.
-English penny-edges not as sharp, no ridges.
-Walking Liberty half ('40's vintage) could be slippery because these coins have been used and silver wears out more than the newer nickel/silver coins.
-quarters--too small for most hands
-Dollar coins--slightly heavy to palm 4 or more coins.
-Penny--Harder to classic palm-mostly finger palmed.

What do you guys think?

Regards,
Tony
Ryan
View Profile
New user
Calgary
89 Posts

Profile of Ryan
Question, is the classic palm where you hold the coin between your thumb mussle in your palm and wedge it against the other side of the palm? Just wondering becuase I've been working with that palm for as long as I can remeber, but I am not certain of the name?

:kidding: Ack, hope I didn't break any exposer rules there? Smile
Peter Marucci
View Profile
Inner circle
5389 Posts

Profile of Peter Marucci
That's it, Ryan.
Just a word of caution about constant practice of the classic palm.
Another area magician is heavily into coin work and practiced for hours a day on his classic palm, which is superb.
Trouble is, he practiced so much that he devloped a coin-shaped callus on his palm.
Now, when he shows a coin has vanished, he often gets someone saying, "Hey, what's that in your hand?"
Even though it is obviously not the coin, it still detracts from the atmosphere.
cheers,
Peter Marucci
showtimecol@aol.com
cardguy
View Profile
Inner circle
Queens, New York
1171 Posts

Profile of cardguy
I always thought my hands were not ideal for magic because my fingers are so thin and I thought I would never be able to hide things in them. Well, I was wrong. I just practiced, and things got easier. Coins were and still are harder for me than cards, but know one of my favorite effects is a coins across that requires a strong classic palm. I practiced that effect for about 4 months before I started to perform it. So keep practicing, you'll find what works for you. One day you'll find the perfect spot for the classic palm and you'll wonder why you ever had trouble with it.
Frank G. a.k.a. Cardguy
Alan Wheeler
View Profile
Inner circle
Posting since 2002 with
2038 Posts

Profile of Alan Wheeler
I have been a little frustrated because the guy who taught me a coin routine in Thailand EASILY classic palmed a quarter-sized coin, something I haven't been able to do. After reading some of these posts, I realize quarters are indeed a difficult size; and after some reflection, I realize this Thai guy had super small hands. I don't know why I hadn't thought of that before.

Regarding the coin callus mentioned above by Peter Marucci: My gosh, the truth is sometimes funnier than comedy!

alleycat Smile
The views and comments expressed on this post may be mere speculation and are not necessarily the opinions, values, or beliefs of Alan Wheeler.
A BLENDED PATH
Christian Reflections on Tarot
Word Crimes
Technology and Faith........Bad Religion
vovin
View Profile
Veteran user
Columbus,Oh
338 Posts

Profile of vovin
Thanks gentlemen, I have since been palming a half dollar all day and I have made some progress. I still have a long way to go but at least now I know I can get there.
Lonnie Dilan
View Profile
Special user
Canyon Country, California
823 Posts

Profile of Lonnie Dilan
I'm a pimp with cards and coins and my hands are thin hands..long fingers...it just takes time to get it all down.

The classic palm is probably the most discouraging palms to learn for a newbie. Just keep at it and you will see a difference. Play with a coin all day until the coins feel totally natural in your hands. Practice rolling the coin, practice typing with a coin in classic palm. Put a coin in classic palm and then shake your hand like a mad man...do that until the coin does not fall out anymore. It works. If you shake both of your hand at the same time, but one of them has a coin in classic palm you will see that when both hands are shaking they look exactly the same too...maybe that can be used to silently say "my hands are empty" while you are stretching and shaking your hands.

okay now I'm rambling,but I hope these tips help a little bit.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Coin fingers (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL