The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » A Nervous Wreck's Way to Obtain Testimonials (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Leo B. Domapias
View Profile
Loyal user
297 Posts

Profile of Leo B. Domapias
Like many greenhorn marketers, I always agonize over asking testimonials from clients. I do it with much reluctance and only after gathering all the guts I could muster. Not surprisingly, I’m always looking for the coward’s method of asking---then one day I stumbled on an easy method to do it.

Now I don’t claim originality to this testimonial gathering strategy. Just because I haven’t read somewhere of someone doing it doesn’t mean I discovered it. I stumbled on it only after being fed up of losing my gift of speech and nerve when asking a client for nice words about my show.

So instead of asking directly, what I did was sent the client a mobile phone text message that said: “Thank you for inviting me to Abigail’s 7th birthday. I hope all the guests enjoyed the magic.” Three minutes later came the mommy’s SMS reply on my cellular phone: “Everyone certainly enjoyed the magic show. Keep up the good work and more power to you. Thanks.”

I couldn’t believe what I just obtained---e-testimonial in three minutes!

I tested further my new discovery. The next time, I sent an event organizer an e-mail thank you letter---not a paper, physical letter like marketers advise, but e-mail. I used one of Dave Dee’s thank you notes almost verbatim as he suggests in his marketing course. Less than a day later, came the reply: “Thank you, Ben! The show was a great success--everyone loved it! We will definitely have you back for future events and recommend you highly to others who are looking for good entertainment!”

I’ll spare you the torment of reading the rest of the sweet-as-sugar quotes from other satisfied clients, because it’s not my intention that you develop diabetes. Suffice it to say that every time I send an electronic thank you note, as opposed to a physical letter mailed in the Post Office, I get a quick reply sprinkled generously with quotable quotes.

Now before I rush to write my 7-day blockbuster-marketing course titled “How to Obtain Killer Client Testimonials Even If You’re the Most Tongue-Tied Magician in the World,” let me ask the marketing pros two questions.

One, do these customer replies to my electronic thank you notes qualify as testimonials?

Two, can I quote them without asking anymore the clients permission to include their positive words in my marketing material?

Thanks for all the help.

Sincerely,

Ben Benjay
Manila, Philippines
magic4u02
View Profile
Eternal Order
Philadelphia, PA
15110 Posts

Profile of magic4u02
You should always ask permission before using anything the client may have sent to you via the phone or otherwise. If they truly enjoyed your performance, they will not have a problem with you using it and they will thank you for asking them first.

Besides, this gives you another chance to touch base with your client and helps you to build that re-elationship with them.

One of the best methods I have used, besides simply asking them, is to use a thank you packet that is given to the parent/client after the gig is over and before I leave for home. This consists of a simple thank you letter, a nice gift just for them as well as an evaluation form and SASE. It is a nice packet and they really enjoy the gist that comes with it.

The evaluation form is a great way to not only get quotes and testimonials but to also find out what you may have done right or what you may need improvement on. If you keep it simple and give room for them to fill in comments, then it should work well for you.

Then a day after the gig, you can follow up with a simple hand written thank you postcard that is addressed to the child you did the party for. The child loves getting mail, the parent thinks your great for sending it and it is yet another way to build the re-eleationship with your client. It also serves as a reminder to them to send and fill out your evaluation form and get that back to you.

I hope this is of some help to you and offers you some great ideas. If you have not already, I would check out thedean.net web site. It has great topics like this that may be able to give you even deeper insight to your question.
Kyle Peron

http://www.kylekellymagic.com

Entertainers Product Site

http://kpmagicproducts.com

Join Our Facebook Fan Page at

http://facebook.com/perondesign
Leo B. Domapias
View Profile
Loyal user
297 Posts

Profile of Leo B. Domapias
Thanks, Kyle.

I'm keen on using your idea on handing out an after-show evaluation form as a way of avoiding a direct solicitation of client testimonials. In fact, I prefer any subtle method of collecting those testimonials as against directly asking for them. I know a lot of magicians and marketers would say "Just ask for it", but I'm more comfortable with the subtler methods. It's either a cultural thing or I'm a hopeless case. Smile

I've been lurking the Dean's forum longer than I can remember, contedly soaking up the ideas so freely given by the biggies in marketing. For the most part, I have nothing to add to the discussions, so I go there only as lurker.

Ben Benjay
Manila, Philippines
jlibby
View Profile
Inner circle
1044 Posts

Profile of jlibby
Ben, I agree it's always best to ask permission. It can be as simple as emailing something like, "Thank you so much for your comments on my show. It made my day! May I quote you?" I think in 99.9% of the cases, you won't have a problem.

I have, on occasion, assumed that I had the client's permission to quote them. This isn't as good as asking permission, but if someone sends me a great testimonial before I ask for it, I believe I can safely assume that permission is implied. In at least two corporate cases, I got great quotes and shortly thereafter I couldn't reach my contact again. In one case, my contact left the company, in another the company went out of business. If I had to wait for permission to use the testimonials, I'd still be waiting!

See ya!
Joe L.
My new FREE ebook on the classic Mismade Bill trick is ready for you:
https://funnybirthdayshow.com/mismadebill/
magic4u02
View Profile
Eternal Order
Philadelphia, PA
15110 Posts

Profile of magic4u02
I love the evaluation form idea that I now use. This is a simple process for them to fill out and write a few short comments. I get more reponses this way then most other formats.

By also giving them a gift in my thank you packet following the performance, I am building upon the re-elationship and giving them more incentive to actually want to send the form back to me.

The form gives me a lot of great quotes and information for which to check myself and see how well I am doing.
Kyle Peron

Keith Raygor
View Profile
Special user
Naples, FL
968 Posts

Profile of Keith Raygor
Ben,
Your idea of email testimonials is a very familiar one. Congratulations on your results.
One - Yes
Two - choose the more courteous route and ask their permission. They are certain to say yes, as it is paying them a compliment.
Keith
M-Illusion
View Profile
Special user
549 Posts

Profile of M-Illusion
As an interesting sidenote to this, I have a client who books my show every year. Some years, they have booked as many as three shows throughout the season, yet they will not give me a testimonial. (It's against their policy, which I have confirmed with other entertainers who have been told the same thing). So in the event you are ever denied use of comments about a show, don't take it against what you do.
shrink
View Profile
Inner circle
2609 Posts

Profile of shrink
C'mon you need to become less tongue tied! See it as part of your personal development!

I read somewhere (can't remember where), to take a dictation machine with you to the show. Ask them what they thought of the show. The material, the magician, the results with the audience. Tape their answers. Go home type it up send them a copy with a return stamped envelop and ask them to sign it!

If you ever do it for a company ask them to print it out signed on their letterhead.

After a while asking for testimonials becomes second nature.

In a few months you'll be glad you did. Plus your confidence will grow as your signed printed testimonials grow.

I don't know about every market but if someone denies you a testimonial just move on to the next one.
Kronos9326
View Profile
Loyal user
Toronto
229 Posts

Profile of Kronos9326
Some provider's charge to send and recieve text messages. I would be careful about this.

David.
magic4u02
View Profile
Eternal Order
Philadelphia, PA
15110 Posts

Profile of magic4u02
I use an evaluation form that is a part of my thank you kit I give to the client following the performance. It is a great way to get info. from my shows etc.

Kyle
Kyle Peron

NJJ
View Profile
Inner circle
6437 Posts

Profile of NJJ
I once used a quote from a client who I was informed the agent HAD asked (when they hadn't and just said go for it).

the client ended up getting angry because the company name was used WITHOUT permission of her boss and she got in trouble.

Get written permission (an email will do)!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » A Nervous Wreck's Way to Obtain Testimonials (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL