We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The Feminine Mystique » » Amazing female magician Katalin (11 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
Dougini
View Profile
Inner circle
The Beautiful State Of Maine
6409 Posts

Profile of Dougini
Quote:
On 2013-10-22 17:42, Bill Hegbli wrote:
Doug, I don't want to burst your bubble, but most likely, her manager or agent is her boyfriend. She is most likely taken. Join the lonely magicians club. I am a member as well.


Ha ha! LOL! Yeah. I'll be sittin' here in my rocker, with my cane...

Doug
Dougini
View Profile
Inner circle
The Beautiful State Of Maine
6409 Posts

Profile of Dougini
...and a doobie!
alextsui
View Profile
Regular user
Malaysia
154 Posts

Profile of alextsui
She's actually married to magician Joseph Gabriel. See here:
http://www.all-about-magicians.com/joseph-gabriel.html

Quote:
On 2013-10-22 17:42, Bill Hegbli wrote:

Doug, I don't want to burst your bubble, but most likely, here manager or agent is her boyfriend. She is most likely taken. John the lonely magicians club. I am a member as well.

jay leslie
View Profile
V.I.P.
Southern California
9475 Posts

Profile of jay leslie
Doug, Doug, Doug.

You need to start a fan club or become her agent.

In either event you should handle her with kid-glove care,
Green gloves, yellow gloves, white gloves Smile
Dougini
View Profile
Inner circle
The Beautiful State Of Maine
6409 Posts

Profile of Dougini
Quote:
On 2013-11-09 03:08, jay leslie wrote:
Doug, Doug, Doug.

You need to start a fan club or become her agent.

In either event you should handle her with kid-glove care,
Green gloves, yellow gloves, white gloves Smile


Haaaa hahaha! Ah yes...but look at the post above yours, Jay! Smile
Saint-Pol
View Profile
New user
24 Posts

Profile of Saint-Pol
She is very beautiful, talented and smart.
danaruns
View Profile
Veteran user
The City of Angels
400 Posts

Profile of danaruns
Why does 'beautiful" and "sexy" always come before "talented" when describing her (and other female magicians)? They don't do this with men. Wouldn't it be nice if women magicians could be recognized for their skill, talent and hard work before their looks. Smile
"Dana Douglas is the greatest magician alive. Plus, I'm drunk." -- Foster Brooks
Dougini
View Profile
Inner circle
The Beautiful State Of Maine
6409 Posts

Profile of Dougini
We're wired that way, Dana. I see your point. But...look at it this way. When Katalin comes out on the stage and smiles, believe me, no one is thinking TALENT at that point. Not with a look like that. She designed it that way. Rightfully so! And, she IS recognized for her skill! It all goes together...

Doug
Aus
View Profile
Special user
Australia
879 Posts

Profile of Aus
... and if you look through her youtube channel she has video intro that describes herself as sexy (among other self prescribed attributes) in one of her performance videos.

A man shouldn't be chastised for calling a woman beautiful and sexy and no one is implying or insinuating that the attributes you mentioned (skill, talent and hard work) are any less or more important then any other attributes she is displaying.

As Doug said, it's the way we are wired, or to put it another way, basic male and female polarity.

Magically

Aus
danaruns
View Profile
Veteran user
The City of Angels
400 Posts

Profile of danaruns
No. It's sexist and dehumanizing. In the workplace, it's called sexual harassment. The "Oh, she's so pretty I couldn't help myself" defense went out in 1890. Try to control yourselves and act like the smart, decent human beings that you are. Have you ever wondered why the numbers of female magicians hover around 3-5%, and why magic lags so far behind the rest of the arts? In part, its because of cave man attitudes like yours. You should educate yourselves.
"Dana Douglas is the greatest magician alive. Plus, I'm drunk." -- Foster Brooks
Aus
View Profile
Special user
Australia
879 Posts

Profile of Aus
Quote:
On May 8, 2017, danaruns wrote:
No. It's sexist and dehumanizing. In the workplace, it's called sexual harassment. The "Oh, she's so pretty I couldn't help myself" defense went out in 1890. Try to control yourselves and act like the smart, decent human beings that you are. Have you ever wondered why the numbers of female magicians hover around 3-5%, and why magic lags so far behind the rest of the arts? In part, its because of cave man attitudes like yours. You should educate yourselves.


Was anyone implying they couldn't help themselves? Now your just adding words into our mouths, what we said was a compliment and nothing more and last time I checked there was no prescribed order in which compliments are given so if I want to say a woman is beautiful and talented or talented and beautiful in that order I bloody well will thank you vary much, and it will not be dictated by you.

Now looking at your posts in regards to woman in magic it's clear to me you have a very feministic axe to grind, in many respects I agree with your stances and observations, but on this occasion I think your overstepping the mark.

I'm a heterosexual man who finds a woman attractive which I suspect many of male posters above here do to, and last time I checked that wasn't a crime and something to apologise for, and that was just our FIRST impression which I think Dougini was trying to convey in regards to Katalin.

Now if a woman called a male magician handsome would I consider that sexist? The answer is no but if I took your definition to heart it would be. But what if I put talented before handsome does that make it less sexist, or does handsome then talented make it more sexist?

What do you have to say about woman who project their sexuality into there performances like snakeBabe:



Should I go on a self stylistic rant about objectifying man by their male anatomy because she pulled a python out of his pants?

How about Krystyn Lambert who is doing a sexy photo shoot for a magic magazine.



Are we sexist by calling something out that is conveyed and projected as sexy?

There is a never ending slippery slope for this BS and I for one WILL NOT WALK ON EGG SHELLS BECAUSE OF IT.

I grew up in a single parent household with my mother and sister, and have been living with and interacting with woman long enough to know that I am not sexist, just because you say it is, doesn't make it so, and since I learnt my moralistic values from a woman and you are the first woman in 36 years of my life that has taken issue with me about it so I deduce your opinion on this as being in the minority not the majority on this particular issue.

I'v lived my 36 years of my life without your validation and I can live with another 36 years with out it.

Magically

Aus
Dougini
View Profile
Inner circle
The Beautiful State Of Maine
6409 Posts

Profile of Dougini
Quote:
On May 8, 2017, danaruns wrote:
It's sexist and dehumanizing.


Sorry you feel that way. I guess I'm a pig...

Quote:
On May 8, 2017, danaruns wrote:
In the workplace, it's called sexual harassment.


We are not IN the workplace! And this is NO place to give my opinion on this...

Quote:
On May 8, 2017, danaruns wrote:
... why magic lags so far behind the rest of the arts? In part, its because of cave man attitudes like yours. You should educate yourselves.


Cave man. For finding a woman pretty. Wow. I don't know WHAT to say...

Doug
danaruns
View Profile
Veteran user
The City of Angels
400 Posts

Profile of danaruns
Okay guys, you are right. We are not in the workplace, and you get to find attractive whomever you want to. It's just frustrating when women work so hard, especially in an art that has all but shut them out, just trying to be recognized as an equal, and the first thing anyone ever mentions, always, is objectifying them for sex. It just gets really, really old.
"Dana Douglas is the greatest magician alive. Plus, I'm drunk." -- Foster Brooks
Stucky
View Profile
Inner circle
I'm Batman!
1311 Posts

Profile of Stucky
Quote:
On May 1, 2017, danaruns wrote:
Why does 'beautiful" and "sexy" always come before "talented" when describing her (and other female magicians)? They don't do this with men. Wouldn't it be nice if women magicians could be recognized for their skill, talent and hard work before their looks. Smile


While yer not entirely wrong, let's talk about how performers like Darcy Oake, who are considered "pretty" and gets by on his looks, aren't yelled about? David Copperfield was objectified as is Michael Carbonaro. Why aren't we talking about that (other than the section this is in obviously) Is it because that's "ok" because he's male? When you only complain about one side of a coin, you can make yourself part of the problem and not the solution.

Also, let's talk about how some performers, male and female, are more attractive than they are talented? Don't pretend there aren't female magicians who use their looks to get by when their skill is beyond lackluster. I'm not trying to start a fight, but let's even the playing field a bit on both sides shall we?

Image
Official Thread Killer
Jacene
View Profile
New user
45 Posts

Profile of Jacene
This was an interesting thread to read - just happened to come across it now! Being a female on stage, I can relate to both sides of this. I do want to say, I work my butt off to get my show how I want it and the audience to react to my personality. That being said, I also want to look good while doing it. (I am not saying that I do, but I do try to look presentable and professional) I KNOW that people are automatically judging because it is DIFFERENT to have a female magician/mentalist. So really, I let guys/girls say what they want. You know that people are going to talk about what you look like and we can’t change that, but I brush that off and strive to leave them with MAN, DID YOU SEE WHAT SHE DID! instead!

Jacene Smile
Jacene Dickson
2016 AFV Winner "Befuddled Baboon"
www.mindmystique.ca
Saint-Pol
View Profile
New user
24 Posts

Profile of Saint-Pol
Maybe some of us men only wish we would be recognized as attractive in addition to talented. I just don't think women are wired that way and men are. It does not, at least for the man, take anything away from nor supersede the talent and skill of the performer, men are simply wired that way.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The Feminine Mystique » » Amazing female magician Katalin (11 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2017 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.22 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL