The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricks & Effects » » Defiance II-A review of Reed McClintock's Cups and Balls. (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
John Clarkson
View Profile
Special user
Santa Barbara, CA
749 Posts

Profile of John Clarkson
John D. Clarkson, S.O.B. (Sacred Omphaloskeptic Brotherhood)
Cozener

"There is nothing more important to a magician than keeping secrets. Probably because so many of them are Gay."
—Peggy, from King of the Hill (Sleight of Hank)
MacGyver
View Profile
Inner circle
St. Louis, MO
1419 Posts

Profile of MacGyver
Thanks John!!!

Now I just have to find a good supply of parachute cord and some marbles(is that what a lot of people use?).
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24315 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
I just got my copy of Defiance II. It was well worth the wait.

I have been doing various versions of the cups and balls for a LOOOONG time, and I have manuscripts on the subject that go back to the 17th century, so I'm not exactly a newcomer to the trick.

All I can say is this. It is one of the most logical routines I have EVER had the pleasure of reading. The method of loading the final loads leaves nothing at all to be desired. In fact, I kind of feel sorry for MacGyver, because he hasn't had to wade through all the other methods!

While I wouldn't normally consider this a routine for a beginner to start with, after reading MacGyver's review, I understand why it might be a very good place to begin. This, combined with some information from the Ammar DVD's would give anyone a routine that will fool the pants off everyone and, if you are any kind of an entertainer at all, it will be very entertaining.

Reed, you have done it again!
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
cheesewrestler
View Profile
Inner circle
Chicago
1157 Posts

Profile of cheesewrestler
What's the running time of this routine?
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
24315 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
That depends on how much time you spend on patter and how much of the Dai Vernon routine you put into it. I haven't timed it out for myself.

However, Reed mentions that it is modular, so you can perform as much or as little of it as you wish.

The final load sequence is the part that really makes this routine special. Before the audience has any reason to suspect a thing, the cups are loaded.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

Schaden
View Profile
Inner circle
Purgatory
1253 Posts

Profile of Schaden
I can't wait for egg bag routine... I love egg baggs and I don't know why.

Lee
Review King
View Profile
Eternal Order
14446 Posts

Profile of Review King
I LOVE David Williamson's 2 cup routine. How is this better than that?

Thanks!!

Chris
"Of all words of tongue and pen,
the saddest are, "It might have been"

..........John Greenleaf Whittier
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
24315 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
I guess it's a matter of personal preference. I either want to do a one cup routine or a three cup routine. I'm not sure why. It could be that three is a "magical" number.

Also, the final loading sequence would not work with a two cup routine. I can't say any more without giving away the store.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

Review King
View Profile
Eternal Order
14446 Posts

Profile of Review King
Bill, good point about the magic of "3".
"Of all words of tongue and pen,
the saddest are, "It might have been"

..........John Greenleaf Whittier
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
24315 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
Yes -- it goes back to the middle ages (probably further than that, actually). One and three were associated with God and the Trinity. Two was considered incomplete.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

DwightPA
View Profile
Regular user
Dwight Powell
113 Posts

Profile of DwightPA
Bill,

Concerning your comment about performance time for the cups and balls, in "Gazzo on the Cups and Balls" Gazzo mentions a time as long as 40 minutes.

I have been wondering if there seemed to be an optimum number of sequences for the routine and had the opportunity to discuss this with Jim Cellini. I mentioned Gazzo's comment, and Jim told me that it was in the patter.

That would be worth seeing!

Dwight
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
24315 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
The time allotted to a cups and balls routine depends largely upon your own circumstances. Certainly, the patter is a major factor, especially in the case of Gazzo's act. You have to see (or hear) Gazzo work A LOT, in order to really appreciate Jim's comment. However, if you are new to the cups and balls, I would recommend that you discipline the routine quite a bit until it is part of you.

To me, the cups and balls is about the final loads. And part of the final loads is getting them into the cups without being detected. Reed's idea could conceivably be adapted to working with a gibeciere, if necessary.

Regarding the length of the "preamble," or the moves that lead up to the final loads, that is up to you. Even Vernon had some flexibility to the routine.

There are lots of good resources for the cups and balls, I would recommend that if you are going to make this a part of your act, you study as many sources as possible.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

Marvello
View Profile
Inner circle
It's amazing how little I can say in
1612 Posts

Profile of Marvello
Hmm - I read Brad Henderson's review here:

http://www.mylovelyassistant.com/index.p......;rid=536

and nobody else even comes close to the criticism that Brad had for this trick. Can someone who owns the trick comment on Brad's review?
Never criticize someone else until you have walked a mile in their shoes. Then, when you do criticize them, you will be a mile away from them and you will have their shoes.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricks & Effects » » Defiance II-A review of Reed McClintock's Cups and Balls. (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL