The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Peter Nardi's Sharpie Through Card (S.T.C) (7 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..6..9..12..15~16~17~18~19~20~21~22 [Next]
Steven70s
View Profile
Regular user
The Netherlands
181 Posts

Profile of Steven70s
Quote:
On 2013-08-10 05:13, doriancaudal wrote:
Do you also have this weird/annoying noise when the pen is penetrating the card?

I did. It kinda stopped after the first day. Not sure if it stopped because I inserted it in some different way, or because of some form of wearing.
pegasus
View Profile
Eternal Order
United Kingdom
10537 Posts

Profile of pegasus
Quote:
Do you also have this weird/annoying noise when the pen is penetrating the card?

Yes, which adds to the effect as far as I'm concerned.
pegasus
View Profile
Eternal Order
United Kingdom
10537 Posts

Profile of pegasus
[quote]On 2013-08-10 19:42, pegasus wrote:
Quote:

Yes, which adds to the effect as far as I'm concerned. It's not the gimmick, its just the natural sound that would be heard if an object was to melt thru a card.
Steven70s
View Profile
Regular user
The Netherlands
181 Posts

Profile of Steven70s
Quote:
On 2013-08-10 19:42, pegasus wrote:
Quote:

Yes, which adds to the effect as far as I'm concerned. It's not the gimmick, its just the natural sound that would be heard if an object was to melt thru a card.

Hmmm.. I like the effect way better when there is no sound. It feel really smooth then. I don't think it really matters that much for the spectators reaction.
mercedesrules
View Profile
New user
50 Posts

Profile of mercedesrules
.........Anyone else having trouble playing the DVD on a TV recorder? Mine only plays on a computer.
saysold1
View Profile
Eternal Order
Recovering Cafe addict with only
10798 Posts

Profile of saysold1
Quote:
On 2013-08-11 06:27, Steven70s wrote:
Quote:
Quote:

Hmmm.. I like the effect way better when there is no sound. It feel really smooth then. I don't think it really matters that much for the spectators reaction.

No sounds wouldn't make sense. The pen is penetrating and rubbing the card. Silence would be odd.

Visually STC looks like the card is gobbling up the pen. The noise heard makes the illusion complete.
Creator of The SvenPad Supreme(R) line of aerospace level quality, made in the USA utility props. https://svenpads.com/
Failed Magician
View Profile
Inner circle
Still working on the DL even after made
2100 Posts

Profile of Failed Magician
The combo pack in Penguin has run out, I think it is due to their new Penguin Five.

Oh, maybe it's OOT or perhaps it is not in particular order, but Peter's name is on the top of their featured pros list. Smile
Magic comes through perception. -HS
Blindside785
View Profile
Inner circle
Olympia, WA
4541 Posts

Profile of Blindside785
I'm agreeing up above, the noise it makes going through just adds to the illusion even more.
Steven70s
View Profile
Regular user
The Netherlands
181 Posts

Profile of Steven70s
Quote:
On 2013-08-11 20:20, saysold1 wrote:
Quote:
On 2013-08-11 06:27, Steven70s wrote:
Quote:
Quote:

No sounds wouldn't make sense. The pen is penetrating and rubbing the card. Silence would be odd.

Visually STC looks like the card is gobbling up the pen. The noise heard makes the illusion complete.

You make a good point.

For those interested in the Sherpa STC... It's available for pre-order.

http://www.alakazam.co.uk/product-Sharpi......red.html
Chessmann
View Profile
Inner circle
4247 Posts

Profile of Chessmann
Hmmm... To me, no noise is more "realistic". Not that I really care one way or the other, though! Smile
My ex-cat was named "Muffin". "Vomit" would be a better name for her. AKA "The Evil Ball of Fur".
saysold1
View Profile
Eternal Order
Recovering Cafe addict with only
10798 Posts

Profile of saysold1
Quote:
On 2013-08-13 10:47, Chessmann wrote:
Hmmm... To me, no noise is more "realistic". Not that I really care one way or the other, though! Smile

Do you have STC my friend Chessman?

The "noise" is really like a lightly screechy sound which is precisely what your eyes and ears might expect.

Visuually it looks like the edges tightly hug all sides of the pen - and to me it looks like the sides adjust slightly to the size of the pen as it penetrates as an optical illusion of sorts. The gimmick is so well made (as we know) that there is literally no space or gap that can be seen at the sides. If there were a gap, then yes it would make complete sense I agree for near total silence.

But the "tightness" is obvious while watching the effect - hence the slight squeeky sounds (the tone of which changes slightly as the pen is inserted in and out) perfectly matches what the eyes see.

Maybe I am over analyzing... but STC "syncs" idealy from a sound & sight perspective - which is one of the things that makes it so special.
Creator of The SvenPad Supreme(R) line of aerospace level quality, made in the USA utility props. https://svenpads.com/
Peter Nardi
View Profile
Inner circle
2238 Posts

Profile of Peter Nardi
Must admit never ever had an issue with noise.
MR Effecto
View Profile
Inner circle
2835 Posts

Profile of MR Effecto
If I go in a angle it does make a slight noise. If I go stright down it don't make a sound. If you don't like the noise play with the angle that the pen goes in.
Peter Nardi
View Profile
Inner circle
2238 Posts

Profile of Peter Nardi
Hi Guys

Just to let you know the Sherpa Edition should be in stock next week.

Regards

Peter
Danny Orleans
View Profile
V.I.P.
Chicago
119 Posts

Profile of Danny Orleans
Quote:
On 2013-06-23 18:35, Markymark wrote:
I remember reading in a David Solomon book about a great idea by Danny Orleans.As a non-smoker he used a piece of wood shaped like a
cigarette and called it a 'Healing stick'.

You are correct. I still do this effect with a wooden stick and a gaffed card. Sharpie is a terrific idea. Wish I'd thought of it. You can see a short clip of me performing this on the video on my http://www.corporatemagicltd.com site called RECEPTION MAGIC. I follow it up with Cornelius' Perfect Pen.
bowers
View Profile
Inner circle
Oakboro N.C.
7024 Posts

Profile of bowers
Like your style Danny.
Mine is on the way whoopee..
Todd
MagicByBruce
View Profile
New user
37 Posts

Profile of MagicByBruce
Quote:
On 2013-08-11 19:23, mercedesrules wrote:
.........Anyone else having trouble playing the DVD on a TV recorder? Mine only plays on a computer.
Yes and I have a Sony Blu-ray that is suppose to play anything. Just ordered V Deck, I hope I don't have to watch that in the office too!?
AdamChance
View Profile
Special user
656 Posts

Profile of AdamChance
I got this the other day and I'm very happy with it. the gimmick is very well made.

I like the idea of the drawing the black hole on the card.

however, I was wondering if anyone has ever used black plastic for a removeable hole? you know that plastic stuff that isn't sticky, but it clings to stuff? like the stuff that comes on a computer monitor or TV when you get one brand new so that it doesn't get scratched and covered in dust and stuff? or the plastic you put over your smart phone so you don't ruin your screen? if you got that stuff, but maybe spray painted it black, would that work?

I would have this on the gimmick already. they sign their card. I show them the a "portable hole" ... I put it on the back of their card... then I put their card face up on the deck. and say "ok, your signature is on this side... turnover... and we put the hole on the other side"... then put the sharpie through the card. then turn the card over again, show the signiture and then take the plastic off... then you can go into an ambitious card routine or any other signed card effect and the back of the card is back to normal. you can probably easily ditch the gimmick as well while they are examining their card and the sharpie.

because I love that idea of the "fake hole" that becomes real like in the cartoons. and I want to use this trick before going into an ACR... but obviously you can't do an ACR with a black circle on the back made with a sharpie.

the other option is to just get a bunch of black circle stickers printed out. my girlfriend has a machine that looks like a printer except that it cuts out shapes on paper with a blade... so she could take a piece of black vinyl sticker paper and cut a bunch of circles the correct size. this would work except obviously I'd have to carry around sheets of stickers instead of just one piece of plastic that I can re-use. and I wouldn't want something so sticky that would make it hard to peal off afterwords. alternatively, I could use this a finale... put the sticker on, do the penetration... then they get to keep their card with the sticker on it... so then they'll have a souvenir and they'll tell people that I put a marker through the "hole" on the back of the card.
TimEden
View Profile
New user
24 Posts

Profile of TimEden
Sorry if I'm being dumb and/or it's already been covered but there's talk a few pages back about combining this with SF. Is SF an effect and if so what does it stand for?
Knobz1
View Profile
Regular user
Charlotte, NC
157 Posts

Profile of Knobz1
Quote:
On 2013-08-25 12:36, TimEden wrote:
Sorry if I'm being dumb and/or it's already been covered but there's talk a few pages back about combining this with SF. Is SF an effect and if so what does it stand for?
SF stands for Science Friction. You can learn more about it here: http://www.sciencefrictionspray.com/ Smile
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Peter Nardi's Sharpie Through Card (S.T.C) (7 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..6..9..12..15~16~17~18~19~20~21~22 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.05 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL